Is Depression Curable?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Is Depression Curable?

Postby Locrian » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:02 pm

I've been persistently depressed for 5 years now. Starting at the age of 14. (I'm 19 now.)

I tried getting help when I was 17 for the first time and was kind of happy because I thought I could finally be cured. However, pills didn't really seem to help all that much and the talk therapy was really only enough to get me back on my feet at that time.

Now I'm 19 and feeling the same way again. I'm usually sad on a daily basis but occasionally I have periods where this sadness gets worse and makes it extremely hard to function in daily life. I'm going to the doctors for an appointment next Tuesday but I'm feeling sort of pessimistic over the entire situation since things didn't really get solved permanently the last time.

So for those of you who have been depressed and aren't anymore, is it curable?
Locrian

Re: Is Depression Curable?

Postby Onceler » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:40 am

I think mine is gone, altho I've said that before only to be proven wrong. This is the first January I can remember where I'm not severely depressed. Usually my birthday in mid January is a time of great angst and reckoning.......this year I feel very different. Let's just say my depression has gone dormant.

I maintain lifestyle activities that keep depression at a minimum Some form of meditation, qigong right now, a healthy, no sugar plant based diet, not much alcohol, fasting, and exercise. I believe the real cure was something I did five years ago, a self inquiry technique that, over time and gradually, changed my life from emotional pain and suffering to enjoyment and satisfaction. This act allowed fear to let go of my mind and for it to heal doing the restorative practices I mentioned. This is something very dear to me because I suffered for 30 years and investigated just about every spiritual and psychological practice I could only to have the hope held out by these notions attenuate my depression and pain.

I used John Sherman's self inquiry technique based on his study of Ramana Maharshi's work. It's free, simple, and direct but does take time to do it's work. PM me if you have more questions. Best wishes.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby Webwanderer » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:53 am

Yes. Depression is absolutely curable. My take is this: Generally speaking, it's a matter of beliefs. People who are depressed believe in a way, and about, events and conditions, that depresses them. Understanding that it's the meaning that one personally applies to life events and conditions that creates the beliefs and that results in their experience. If things feel wrong, it's because we have judged it to be so.

There is not a right or wrong way to perceive things - other than the self-judgment on how we are feeling as being proof of right or wrong. There is simply cause and effect in life - or attraction. When we judge things as wrong, we experience them that way and life feels bad to us. It's just the way life works. Knowing that however, is our path to freedom.

By intentionally applying a different meaning to the events and conditions of our life, we begin to fuel and create different beliefs about them - and new beliefs change our experience. If you want a better feeling experience of life, continuously give things in your life better meaning and create beliefs that bring you more happiness and less sadness.

You get to choose how you see things. You will choose in any case - either by default, with the life perspective you have currently adopted through entrainment and conditioning, or through conscious choice with the intended purpose of seeing things in ever greater light.

Quality change can happen very quickly. It does however require consistency and determination. Old habits can die hard. But once you recognize the nature of entrained thinking, you can successfully drop it for a better feeling thought.

In essence it is our nature to be happy. It is our conditioning that holds us in unpleasant states of mind. Just letting go of thinking, and a refocus on the nature of being will go a long way to improving our state.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby dijmart » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:00 pm

My view isn't far off from the other posters. To me it really depends on "why" you are depressed. Many people don't know "why" and that can keeps them in the depressed cycle for many years.

The why can be destructive beliefs, negative thinking patterns, disfunctional family, chemical imbalance, diet, etc. Sometimes the "why" is because of a bigger issue, like depression being a component of a different mental illness (bipolar) or a personality disorder.

So, figure out the "why" and accept that's where you currently are, then divise a plan (with professional help, if possible) to change your current circumstances.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby painBody » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:32 pm

Yes, been depressed since the age of 13 (33 now).

First off, I don't like the word "cure" when it comes to psychiatric problems. Depression, at least in my experience, is like clouds in the sky ... some days are cloudier than others, and some days may seem perfect, till more clouds roll in the next day. Think of getting better as a process that is never complete. It's not like a chest infection that can be cured by taking antibiotics.

I second others in that beliefs can keep a person depressed. It's usually our dissatisfaction with the way the world works and our belief that it should be a certain way, that depression stems from.

And, I second Onceler in that a healthy lifestyle is a great way to keep it in check. I was a fitness junkie ... to me, an hour/two in the gym was like 30mg Prozac or whatever. That did it for me.

That said, give the pills a shot ... stick to the regimen. Some people are able to be helped psychopharmacologically. Others, like me, aren't.

Also, don't underestimate the power of meaningful relationships. Having a social life can really shield you from the darkness of depression.

You are young yet, and are going to undergo lots of changes in life over the next ten or so years ... depression will come and go in waves. Don't let recurrences discourage you.
painBody

Postby erembourggiroux » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:12 am

Hii Locrian, How are you feeling now. Have you visited the doctor. What did the doctor said. Depression is a thing that can come at any age. But I must say that depression can be cured if taken proper measures at the right time. What al, have you tried in this 2 years rather than visiting the doctor. There are many ways or methods available Online that help to deal with Depression. Have you tried all those things or measures. if you have tried all those things and then also you are not able to come out of it then you should consult to someone like Voyante Sérieuse at Martine Voyance or can search for more options or you can try these out Online.
erembourggiroux

Return to Questions