My Mind haunts me when I sleep. How do I stop it?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

My Mind haunts me when I sleep. How do I stop it?

Postby toolate » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:47 pm

First a little background: I have had regular nightmares since early childhood. I often wake up 2-4 times in middle of the night because of the dreams. Not monster-in-the-closet nightmare, but just about any "normal" dream you can imagine that causes regret, fear, dread, or sometimes even just sorrow. Sometimes the dreams are "good", but then they always end bitterly to remind me of some regret or loss.

Now, I've just read The Power of Now for the second time. I believe the dreams are caused by the Mind. The dreams are always relevant to my current life situation, topical to my current fears and regrets. Perhaps the dreams are a manifestation of my pain body.

I can't become present when I'm on the edge of sleep. Whenever I watch the Mind, it wakes me up further. I can relax somewhat while feel my body, but when I do that, the Mind just starts up anyway, if I catch it, I have to watch it but then I'm back at waking myself up.

How do stop it? My sanity rests on this.
toolate

Re: My Mind haunts me when I sleep. How do I stop it?

Postby dijmart » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:22 pm

Hi,

I haven't remembered more then 1 or 2 dreams a year for many years now...not sure why? I'm sure I probably dream, but I don't have the recall of those dreams.

Anyways, when I was a child I had a lot of nightmares. That was a traumatic part of my life and my subconscious mind was playing this out in dreams. As I got older the nightmares got more spaced out and then one day ended. I think because I started feeling more safe and secure in my environment.

So, I'd say, whatever is not dealt with in your waking life is being played out by your subconscious mind when sleeping. So, perhaps working with a psychologist or therapist could help you identify what you are suppressing and therefore hiding in your subconscious.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby Guy Struggles » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:58 am

Could you try putting on a (small) set of earphones and attach a player.

Line up a bunch of ET's talks, even better if they are relevant to your overall situation.
Listen to him speak at a low level, comprehend what he's talking about and in time I'd bet you'll fall asleep.
If the earphones fall off - who cares!

Wake up again later? repeat the above.
This way you will distract your mind from the crap it wants to throw at you while you focus on ET's teachings.
AND you get the benefit of learning more before you fall off to sleep!
Guy Struggles

Postby Webwanderer » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:47 am

toolate wrote:I believe the dreams are caused by the Mind. The dreams are always relevant to my current life situation, topical to my current fears and regrets.

Much of dreams are a reflection of how you perceive your daily life. Those thing that concern you often get reflected back in dreams depending on the intensity of your concerns. You can improve your experience by a creating a more uplifting perspective as you move through your day. Look to have more fun. Perceive things in a way that brings you joy. Focus on appreciation for the many events, small and large, that happen throughout your day. It's about improving the way you feel in and about life.

WW
Webwanderer

Return to Questions