Self-Inquiry?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Self-Inquiry?

Postby palltaruo » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:05 pm

I had a pain body attack today, but it's unclear what the source was. We did personality tests in my psychology class, and for some reason, I felt frustration arise while my teacher was commenting on his own personality type ("I am a pessimist", "I am an introvert"). I also felt a heaviness arise while I was analyzing my own test. It might have something to do with my expectations and beliefs ("I shouldn't label myself", or "People should not place constricting labels on themselves, that's wrong")

Anyway, I would like to explore this experience further. What is the best action to take in this case? Is it best to just "feel" the frustration without judging/analyzing it, or is it best to inquire? Maybe both? :)

Thank you, all the best.
palltaruo

Re: Self-Inquiry?

Postby dijmart » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:23 am

I had a pain body attack today, but it's unclear what the source was.

Why do you label it a pain body attack? Why not just emotions moving through you? You seem to know very well what caused it. Thoughts such as, "expectations and beliefs", regarding the situation.

Is it best to just "feel" the frustration without judging/analyzing it

Generally speaking, this would be my route, unless it's a reoccurring "reaction", then perhaps would be a pain body issue of unresolved pain that presents with similar situations....then it would need inquiry. Just my opinion.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby palltaruo » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:17 am

dijmart wrote:
I had a pain body attack today, but it's unclear what the source was.

Why do you label it a pain body attack? Why not just emotions moving through you? You seem to know very well what caused it. Thoughts such as, "expectations and beliefs", regarding the situation.

Is it best to just "feel" the frustration without judging/analyzing it

Generally speaking, this would be my route, unless it's a reoccurring "reaction", then perhaps would be a pain body issue of unresolved pain that presents with similar situations....then it would need inquiry. Just my opinion.

I'm not sure why I label it that. I guess I judge any negative emotions that pass through as past pain.
So it's not important to find out the specific beliefs that cause the pain body to arise?
Thanks again!
palltaruo

Postby dijmart » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:47 pm

I'm not sure why I label it that. I guess I judge any negative emotions that pass through as past pain.

I guess I just don't (never really have) resonate with the "pain body" term. To me emotions are caused by thoughts, if you have a negative emotion that then creates more negative thinking then the emotion just gets more intense, but if you can bring awareness to the emotion and feel it fully, then it will leave, as long as you don't continue to have negative thoughts about it.

So it's not important to find out the specific beliefs that cause the pain body to arise?

Ok, so what are beliefs? They are just a pattern of thoughts that you think are true. So, question what you believe, if you think you need to and maybe you do need to, idk. That's for every individual to decide for themselves.

In your example you were told to do a test, so it wasn't your choosing, you had to and you had certain thoughts about it. That's ok! Your reaction doesn't have to be right or wrong, it just was what it was. The class ended and you carried those emotions and the thoughts that created it with you. Next time try saying to yourself that the emotion is fine, sit with it and bring awareness to it and see if that helps. You don't have to investigate every thought or feeling that moves through you, that is my point.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Return to Questions