Meditation and overwhelm feedback

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Meditation and overwhelm feedback

Postby bobdylanfan » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:41 pm

Hey guys I wanted to share with you about something that happened to me the last few days and hear your feedback. My daily practice is 20 mins meditation, 20-30 mins body love bath (where you hold the sensation of a particular body part in your awareness and send it love) and I have just starting doing tonglen. I really enjoy the feeling of warmth in the heart from the body love bath and the tonglen but I've found it was too much the last two days. I found I was hyper sensitive to sounds and everything and a lot of fear came up. It was like a combo of meditation, the love bath and tonglen was too much. It's frustrating because I love all three of the exercises. I also used to do metta (loving kindness) meditation but feel too much energy in my head. Any experience with these meditations or just feeling overwhelmed generally and working through it? I've recently discovered a traumatic childhood memory so I wonder if this is related

Thanks
bobdylanfan

Re: Meditation and overwhelm feedback

Postby dijmart » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:48 am

Hi,

My advice would be to alternate- Choose 1-2 daily and alternate them, if you must do all 3. Seems like all of them together is too much for the nervous system, hence the symptoms you are having. I don't do any of these, so can't help you by personal experience. However, my whole life I've been an emotional empath, meaning I'm very sensitive to other people's energy and if my own energy is not balanced, feeling others energy can be overwhelming and cause symptoms also. So, for me, keeping my own inner energy and peace stable in paramount to interacting with others, otherwise it's not pretty :lol:
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby bobdylanfan » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:56 pm

Thanks dijmart I always appreciate your feedback and taking the time to write back I'm actually gonna drop all rheee for a few days and let everything settle. How is it for your being a strong empath? Do you feel people's energy easily ? Can you feel intense in public places ?
bobdylanfan

Postby dijmart » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:52 am

Hi BDF,

Not a problem, hope it helped. Yes dropping them for a couple days, then starting 1 or 2 a day and seeing how that goes would be good.

How is it for your being a strong empath? Do you feel people's energy easily ? Can you feel intense in public places ?

My own energy being off balance can cause misinterpretation in others energy, so staying balanced is key. I've gotten better at blocking others energy or just letting it be there. Therefore, public places usually are okay, but I use to sometimes get panic attacks in public places when I was younger. I now move quickly through crowds, if able, that seems to help.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby DavidB » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:40 pm

The purpose for mediation is to become familiar with/recognize stillness. The body is always present, as the body cannot exist anywhere else but in the present. Drawing attention into the inner body helps to still the mind, allowing us to witness, in a sense, the state of no mind.

Once we know these things, we no longer require formal meditation, instead being becomes our meditation.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Return to Questions