NOW vs. progress, becoming better

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

NOW vs. progress, becoming better

Postby arik7429071 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:59 pm

Hello
sorry for my english and thank you all for your help.
as I understood from several other self helpers, our happiness also depends on our progress. not a specific goal, but the feeling that I'm doing progress, becoming better in every aspect.
does this contradict tolle's view? because from what I understood he is not talking about progress at all. like it's enough to be awaken, with no need to be progressing within time- being a better person etc.
I would like to hear your opinions. does it really contradict, dont I have to progress in order to be happy? or maybe I didnt fully understand tolle's view.
thank you!
arik7429071

Re: NOW vs. progress, becoming better

Postby Webwanderer » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:32 pm

arik7429071 wrote:...our happiness also depends on our progress.

I would suggest that our happiness does not depend on our progress. Rather, it's our progress that depends on our happiness. Finding a way to be happy with life, ourselves and others is key to awakening.

Awakening is also a matter of recognizing in a non-verbal way that we are not what we 'think' we are. Thinking is an act of analytical construct. It's useful to an extent, but the truth about self and being is most clearly known through our feeling nature. Truth has its own unique feel and that feeling comes clearest while in alignment in the quietude of our true nature.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby arik7429071 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:04 pm

so after being awaken, there is nothing to do? im perfect? no aspect I need to progress in? at least morally?
arik7429071

Postby arik7429071 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:07 pm

but is being aware enough? am I perfect after that? no need of moral improvement etc.?
arik7429071

Postby Webwanderer » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:13 pm

arik7429071 wrote:but is being aware enough?

Enough for what? Enough for me? Enough for you? Enough for 'God'? Awareness has depth. Call it clarity of being. It's not either or, but matters of degree. Recognizing you are not what you 'think' you are is a beginning, but old habits often die hard. One moment awakening may be clear. The next it's back to the identified perspective. It's all okay and has value to your greater nature no matter what unfolds.

am I perfect after that? no need of moral improvement etc.?

You are perfect as a seed is perfect. Yet a seed lies dormant until conditions are ripe for its development. Then it goes through many stages in route to its fulfillment. All stages are perfect in their own context.

Your concern over moral improvement is born of a misunderstanding on the nature of this human experience. No surprise however, it's what we are taught from an early age and is reinforced throughout our lives. The idea of moral improvement rests greatly on the belief that there is a right way and a wrong way to be. From a physical human context there is certainly some truth the belief.

From a larger reality context however, there is more of a sense of experiential preference. We feel our way to understanding rather than simply analyzing. We make choices based on our feeling nature rather than on judgments born of conditioning. The key is to get to an active and aligned relationship with our feeling nature.

The main thing is don't be hard on yourself for perceived missteps. They are a necessary part of the unfolding of our human experience. Resistance is counter productive in gaining clarity. Inclusion rather than exclusion. So have fun. Be happy. Live in appreciation for all life experience.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby arik7429071 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:29 pm

killing is wrong. saving others is right. it's more about me thinking you are wrong. this doesnt mean that there is no right or wrong.
arik7429071

Postby Webwanderer » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:56 am

I did acknowledge that there is truth in right and wrong from a human context. There is however a larger perspective. Understand, everything I say is simply the way I see it. You are welcome to see things as you wish. I only suggest you consider how it serves you.

Also consider what I wrote earlier. You are not what you think you are. What you think you are lives in a context of right and wrong.

WW
Webwanderer

Return to Questions