Righteous Anger

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Righteous Anger

Postby mynameispete » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:37 pm

Here is my problem - Although I can often achieve a certain level of inner stillness and peace when I read "The Power of Now" or "Stillness Speaks" it is not consistent. Everything is so clear about the teachings but there are times when I feel pain or sadness when I am meditatively reading and it doesn't just go away despite my awareness of it. Or my acceptance of it. This makes me think "maybe there is some action I have to take to resolve this" as Eckhart would say that living in the present moment is not an excuse to avoid responsibility. Then I realize there is nothing I can do to resolve the particular issue that I have so I try to accept it but even that doesn't bring me peace. There seems to be a lot of anger in me and I recognize this and then watch the anger, but in my experience there needs to be an outlet for anger. It seems like it's repressed anger that is making me depressed. I can become aware of my inner body and sometimes I cry which is therapeutic, but if I was able to really shout at someone and let out this ABSOLUTE RAGE that is inside me I think it would help even more. I know it has helped in the past. Is there such a thing as righteous anger? I'm not talking about violence here, just a hearty "getting things off your chest" kind of thing. It often seems more genuine than passive non-action.
mynameispete

Re: Righteous Anger

Postby eputkonen » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:23 am

No, I don't believe there is any such thing as "righteous anger." You don't want to repress anger...true...but that does not mean venting it by shouting at people. Looking for an outlet is the wrong direction...in a way it is just another way to avoid the feeling. I would suggest accepting the anger and feeling it completely. Dive into it...feeling it...not expressing it by shouting, punching a pillow, or any other way to vent the anger. Don't vent...delve into it completely and feel it. Embrace it. Perhaps you may find another feeling surfaces...another negative feeling that is underlining and causing the anger...or perhaps a positive feeling surfaces (and anger is gone). Or understanding may surface and may realize the root belief, repeating pattern, or other conditioning that is triggering the episode of anger. Deeply understand the anger...and you may find it disappears.

It comes back because it is being avoided...and venting is one way to avoid it. Sure, it feels good and seems to let go of the pressure...but it doesn't solve anything. When you confront a similar situation, you will just be angry again.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
@EngagedNondual on Twitter
Blog at http://www.EngagedNonduality.com
eputkonen

Postby Mystic » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:05 am

Truth is to "know thyself" in order to be true to thyself then your words and deeds shall be in harmony and you will be true to all. Anger can be dissolved
with presence and giving blessings to people in your mind. We are all one. As we think and do unto others so we think and do unto ourselves.
Forgiveness is to see past the darkened shell of ignorance, and to see the pure light of life within all beings and all things.
Mystic

Postby smiileyjen101 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:33 am

My response leans to wisdom shared by Elisabeth Kubler-Ross in her book Death is of Vital Importance, particularly a section about 'natural' emotions, and a wonderful sentiment shared by the Dalai Lama.

Anger EKR says in its natural form - so then if you are accepting and staying present - lasts just 15 seconds. Long enough for you to assess something, and say 'No thank you'. Anything outside of that is a distortion of the natural emotion that assesses and says no thank you and lets it pass - when we hold it to ourselves it distorts into resentment, rage, resistance, revenge, denying, burying etc None of these states are assessing and responding in the present moment - ET would say by distorting the natural they are making an enemy, obstacle, or means to an end of a person, thing, or situation - and therefore the suffering created for yourself and those around is a thing of ego, not consciousness.

The Dalai Lama's contribution to my understanding is to tell a tale of - well how can you just let something go, or go by? (which is different to burying it for later angst, or holding onto something that creates suffering, or distorting it). He says, if someone or something wants to give you a gift to which you say 'no thank you', who or what is left with (holding) the gift? Then he made an opened palmed wave of his hand in a flowing motion away from himself, smiling, and everyone laughed. You don't have to accept it (into yourself), you can let it appear, assess and let it pass.

You don't need to get offended that someone or something, or life, offered you a gift - of an experience, of an opinion of.. anything really. You just need to recognise that you can still be presence and grace and say no thank you.

So if you have buried stuff that does not serve you, of course they will present again until you realise that you had the choice all along, and do each time they present.

EKR speaks of the natural (not distorted) emotions of immense disappointment and grief knocking at your door to offer you new insights and experiences of it that actually assist to reconcile you with reality. She says to open the door - learn to recognise the emotion, invite them in and hear what it is they want to tell you - but not to set a place at your table for them because they won't be staying (unless of course you 'adopt' them and hang them on and around you like a label - I'm depressed, I'm angry, I'm I'm I'm ... umm no you are choosing to hold onto to those things and pretend that they are who you are, and they are not who you really are). EKR says open the door, recognise them, hear what it is they want to share with you, thank them for coming, and then show them to the door again.

She says this because of the complex nature of grief and disappointment going hand in hand, they both involve a journey of reconciling expectation/s with reality. Grief involves multiple disappointments, and each knock at the door allows you to (if you are present and being honest with yourself and loving) - either say no thank you, or to invite them in as she said and hear them out in order to reconcile the distances that invariably exist in our experience. If you have an unknown, unconscious expectation that things will be one way, and reality shows us something totally different it's actually helpful to take those moment to identify - what was my expectation that can no longer be - and probably never was, we just presumed, assumed, and believed a thing that was not of this present moment, and now we have to reconcile that and move, and accept, our reality, which is at a distance to the expectation.

Eventually you can reconcile them, and also be aware when new 'gifts' or 'opportunities' are being offered to you. An interesting side effect of understanding this is that you begin to become aware of feeding, or giving 'expectations' an undeserved status of the 'truth' - they are not and never were the 'truth', but heck when you're experiencing them or letting go of them it can feel both scary and liberating.

So I would say, it may not be so much about 'resolving' something - which means to make it disappear. Maybe it's more about reconciling - which is allowing all the parts of a thing to exist in balance, in harmony and not have one part overwhelm another - equilibrium. All of the natural emotions not only allow this, but their energies generate life and the experience of it in balance and fullness. Do we get out of kilter at times? - absolutely! With awareness we recognise and experience that too.

PS EKR used to provide screaming/bashing rooms at her retreats - rooms covered in mattresses and pillows and a big bat - you could scream and bash as long as you were enjoying it - bringing up and releasing all the buried and tied down distortions of emotions. I think you'd like her book.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Postby Onceler » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:41 pm

mynameispete wrote:Here is my problem - Although I can often achieve a certain level of inner stillness and peace when I read "The Power of Now" or "Stillness Speaks" it is not consistent. Everything is so clear about the teachings but there are times when I feel pain or sadness when I am meditatively reading and it doesn't just go away despite my awareness of it. Or my acceptance of it. This makes me think "maybe there is some action I have to take to resolve this" as Eckhart would say that living in the present moment is not an excuse to avoid responsibility. Then I realize there is nothing I can do to resolve the particular issue that I have so I try to accept it but even that doesn't bring me peace. There seems to be a lot of anger in me and I recognize this and then watch the anger, but in my experience there needs to be an outlet for anger. It seems like it's repressed anger that is making me depressed. I can become aware of my inner body and sometimes I cry which is therapeutic, but if I was able to really shout at someone and let out this ABSOLUTE RAGE that is inside me I think it would help even more. I know it has helped in the past. Is there such a thing as righteous anger? I'm not talking about violence here, just a hearty "getting things off your chest" kind of thing. It often seems more genuine than passive non-action.

Hi mynameispete,

I went through the anger stage and for me it was a release and cathartic. Do you have the sense that things are emerging that have been suppressed or that you are just an angry person. In retrospect, my angry stage was discreet and I was releasing suppressed anger. It is not pleasant, but is necessary to move on. I did scream at my wife during this stage while driving and she was freaked out....she very quietly told me to pull over. It was then I realized my anger was incredibly deep and powerful. As I said, it lasted about 2-3 months and went away. It was an important stage in my recovery from fear and anxiety.

As we recover sanity our emotions don't resolve in neat ways and become tidy packages that can be stacked or taken to the curb. At least in my experience. What does happen is that we are not intertwined with them as we once were. They don't bother us, or are not a problem. It seems you are still in the stage where you have meta emotions about your emotions. You are angry and upset about your anger. I was anxious about my anxiety which caused it to spiral into a vortex of energized anxiety. We get depressed about our depression, etc. When we recover, we simply experience our emotions as they are without adding meta feeling on top of them. You got a lot of good advice from other posters. My question would be....have you seen who you are at the deepest level? Have you inquired non-verbally what it is like to be you? This will start a process where you no longer mistake your emotions for who you are as you will know who and what is you and what is simply your life and experience. I'm not talking about intellectually knowing, but understanding experientialy at the deepest level who you are.

If this happens, slowly over time fear leaves and we process our emotions naturally and begin to live intelligently. Until this happens I'm afraid we are stuck in the process of seeking salvation and palliative strategies to soothe our suffering.
"When the fear is gone, the mind becomes much quieter, much less full of things. Thoughts become like a gentle rain rather than a thunderstorm." John Sherman
Onceler

Postby mynameispete » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:08 pm

eputkonen wrote:No, I don't believe there is any such thing as "righteous anger." You don't want to repress anger...true...but that does not mean venting it by shouting at people. Looking for an outlet is the wrong direction...in a way it is just another way to avoid the feeling. I would suggest accepting the anger and feeling it completely. Dive into it...feeling it...not expressing it by shouting, punching a pillow, or any other way to vent the anger. Don't vent...delve into it completely and feel it. Embrace it. Perhaps you may find another feeling surfaces...another negative feeling that is underlining and causing the anger...or perhaps a positive feeling surfaces (and anger is gone). Or understanding may surface and may realize the root belief, repeating pattern, or other conditioning that is triggering the episode of anger. Deeply understand the anger...and you may find it disappears.

It comes back because it is being avoided...and venting is one way to avoid it. Sure, it feels good and seems to let go of the pressure...but it doesn't solve anything. When you confront a similar situation, you will just be angry again.

Great, concise answer...it just seems that this anger is there in the background 90% of the time. To put this into context, I have been in various mental hospitals over the years, and I actually credit ET for helping me eventually get out. I learnt to stand back from my anger and even as I felt it burning in my nerves I was able to say to myself: "this too will pass". My Doctor who knew me as an angry person eventually became very impressed with me and here I am today, in my own home typing this now. But ET is not the only person I credit with helping me get discharged...I also started listening to really heavy, angry music - a band called Slipknot in particular. I found I could sit in absolute peace whilst my stereo was blaring, and I think this is what you mean about "going deeply into the anger". Now I know that Slipknot is probably not considered to be "spiritual", most likely the opposite (satanic, whatever), but believe me I had some of the most peaceful times in my cell whilst listening to them. Not peaceful in the sense of quietness, but a pure, easy breathing, inner stillness that came from the awareness that this rage was inside me and I could watch it without adversely affecting anyone else. :)
Onceler wrote:
mynameispete wrote:Here is my problem - Although I can often achieve a certain level of inner stillness and peace when I read "The Power of Now" or "Stillness Speaks" it is not consistent. Everything is so clear about the teachings but there are times when I feel pain or sadness when I am meditatively reading and it doesn't just go away despite my awareness of it. Or my acceptance of it. This makes me think "maybe there is some action I have to take to resolve this" as Eckhart would say that living in the present moment is not an excuse to avoid responsibility. Then I realize there is nothing I can do to resolve the particular issue that I have so I try to accept it but even that doesn't bring me peace. There seems to be a lot of anger in me and I recognize this and then watch the anger, but in my experience there needs to be an outlet for anger. It seems like it's repressed anger that is making me depressed. I can become aware of my inner body and sometimes I cry which is therapeutic, but if I was able to really shout at someone and let out this ABSOLUTE RAGE that is inside me I think it would help even more. I know it has helped in the past. Is there such a thing as righteous anger? I'm not talking about violence here, just a hearty "getting things off your chest" kind of thing. It often seems more genuine than passive non-action.

Hi mynameispete,

I went through the anger stage and for me it was a release and cathartic. Do you have the sense that things are emerging that have been suppressed or that you are just an angry person. In retrospect, my angry stage was discreet and I was releasing suppressed anger. It is not pleasant, but is necessary to move on. I did scream at my wife during this stage while driving and she was freaked out....she very quietly told me to pull over. It was then I realized my anger was incredibly deep and powerful. As I said, it lasted about 2-3 months and went away. It was an important stage in my recovery from fear and anxiety.

As we recover sanity our emotions don't resolve in neat ways and become tidy packages that can be stacked or taken to the curb. At least in my experience. What does happen is that we are not intertwined with them as we once were. They don't bother us, or are not a problem. It seems you are still in the stage where you have meta emotions about your emotions. You are angry and upset about your anger. I was anxious about my anxiety which caused it to spiral into a vortex of energized anxiety. We get depressed about our depression, etc. When we recover, we simply experience our emotions as they are without adding meta feeling on top of them. You got a lot of good advice from other posters. My question would be....have you seen who you are at the deepest level? Have you inquired non-verbally what it is like to be you? This will start a process where you no longer mistake your emotions for who you are as you will know who and what is you and what is simply your life and experience. I'm not talking about intellectually knowing, but understanding experientialy at the deepest level who you are.

If this happens, slowly over time fear leaves and we process our emotions naturally and begin to live intelligently. Until this happens I'm afraid we are stuck in the process of seeking salvation and palliative strategies to soothe our suffering.

I don't know if I have seen who I am at the deepest level...I have experienced deep peace, I have even experienced being pure consciousness - simply being aware of floating in the darkness. I look back to these experiences to remind myself that that is who I really am.

These were great answers, thanks to all of you for sharing your wisdom. :)
mynameispete

Postby Webwanderer » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:08 pm

Here's the thing about anger, or any other painful emotion. It's truly a gift from your own Source Being. It says there is friction or discordance with the way you're seeing things compared to the way Source sees them. It's an opportunity to find greater clarity through inclusion. Resistance is exclusion and in that is a contracting factor in consciousness. Feel how it pulls you tighter. Inclusion is expansive, and feels freeing. There's nothing wrong with feeling anger, it's certainly better than feeling depressed. It is simply a message from life telling us about the nature of our alignment with Greater Consciousness. Make the choice to be more inclusive, even of your own feelings, and see what happens.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby eputkonen » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:21 pm

mynameispete wrote:it just seems that this anger is there in the background 90% of the time.

Yes, because when we have not experienced the anger fully and embraced it...it does not go away and so it is in the background waiting for a new trigger. Anger is in the background 100% of the time...just we are not aware of it all of the time. There was a book that I partially got through, but found valuable - Letting Go, by David R. Hawkins. He spoke about how anger is always with us until we experience it fully. Expression (venting for example), repression, suppression, etc. are ways to not experience it fully - to try to get away from the feeling of anger. This stored anger (due to not experiencing it) then sits and waits for a trigger so it can remanifest fully. I have found out some interesting things by just embracing and fully experiencing my anger when it arises - and once the anger is gone, many of the triggers no longer affect you. There is no pre-existing anger waiting to go off.

I think listening to really heavy, angry music is also going the wrong way and another way to vent it. When the environment and sensory input is anger...that helps relieve the feelings of inner anger in a way of catharsis. But it also masks what you are feeling, so if there are underlying emotions...then they are masked by the external anger from the music.

Don't mask, don't vent, don't try to bring it up, don't try to change it or push it away when it comes. When there is anger...be with it...experience it fully...embrace it.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
@EngagedNondual on Twitter
Blog at http://www.EngagedNonduality.com
eputkonen

Postby painBody » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:45 am

This is not only a great subject but also a very important one to address. Thank you, pete.

I have vast experience with anger, so I feel compelled to share my two cents.

I have always been a very angry person, beginning with childhood ... the bullies had a great time pressing buttons on their remote control. In adulthood, the anger morphed slightly into depression, but always remained below the surface, lacking any kind of outlet, simply because no one ever listened to what I had to say.

Later in life, I thought I found a great way to "channel" the anger - weightlifting. I actually truly believe it worked. At the gym, in the midst of a set, I'd bring up all the suppressed anger and use it while straining to lift the hundreds of pounds. If there ever was an outlet that worked, that was it. Did it reduce my anger ? I can't say ... there seems to be an endless supply of it.

To be honest, I remain undecided on whether or not venting works. I've read scientific research that claims that it doesn't help and that it actually reinforces the anger. On the contrary, I was able to channel the anger somewhat into my exercise. So, I don't know.

I think what helped me the most was to "understand" my anger ... be it intellectually or experientially or whatever. I have understood where it comes from and that it serves no useful purpose.

Though I have learned how (and why) not to be its slave, I also accept that my anger will someday die with my body.
God, grant me the humility to accept the things I cannot understand, the creativity to utilize the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
painBody

Postby sardinelover » Tue May 02, 2017 2:44 am

mynameispete wrote:There seems to be a lot of anger in me and I recognize this and then watch the anger, but in my experience there needs to be an outlet for anger. It seems like it's repressed anger that is making me depressed.

The only way to remove negative emotions from your body is to put your awareness into your body and feel what you feel. The negativity will dissolve very quickly, within a matter of minutes. It is the only outlet for negative emotions.

Forget the inner body, and the concept of the inner body. That concept creates a new set of problems for people.
Relax your face
sardinelover

Postby Ntwarr76 » Mon May 08, 2017 9:48 pm

Your reasons for being angry are subjective. So are everyone else's. Everyone feels their anger is justified. What Dr. Phil would call "right fighting". There is never a reason to get angry. Once you get angry you lose your center.

Take it from me. Anger has been my problem for my whole life.
Ntwarr76

Return to Questions