Some advice

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Tulip54

Some advice

Post by Tulip54 » Tue May 09, 2017 2:17 pm

I still get very jealous of people and their life's
I find this a hard to deal with. When I look at my life all I see is lack and when others look at my life all they see is lack.
In a world where we are all obsessed with looks and physical things how can I find peace?
Peace to everyone
Advance thank you for replying :D

eputkonen

Re: Some advice

Post by eputkonen » Tue May 09, 2017 3:19 pm

If you had deep, abiding peace; no matter what amount of lesser looks or physical things you had, others would look on your life in envy.

Jim Carrey said something to the effect of - I wish everybody could get rich and famous and do everything they ever dreamed of, so they can see that it's not the answer.

The most good looking, the most famous, the most rich...are often still miserable. They have not found peace.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
@EngagedNondual on Twitter
Blog at http://www.EngagedNonduality.com - Insights into Nondualism and Living Awake & Engaged

Tulip54

Post by Tulip54 » Tue May 09, 2017 3:56 pm

Thanks Eric.
That was good to read but maybe only to my ego.
What you said was correct. I look to people and try to look at them like I'm looking at the beauty they have within, that we all have within.
Jealous comes up with me in the present so the times I feel it are the universe's way of showing me what is holding me back.
Thank you so much. It's truly inspiring communicating with like minded people.
Peace be with you

painBody

Post by painBody » Tue May 09, 2017 9:09 pm

eputkonen wrote:Jim Carrey said something to the effect of - I wish everybody could get rich and famous and do everything they ever dreamed of, so they can see that it's not the answer.
Nice quote ... and very true, I'm sure ! Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, I've seen some Jim Carrey talks on YouTube ... he seems to be a huge follower of Eckhart. He even impersonated Eckhart in one video, before Eckhart himself showed up and gave a talk ... it was both accurate and hilarious ! I also read/heard that JC has had major struggles with unhappiness.

eputkonen

Post by eputkonen » Tue May 09, 2017 9:30 pm

Tulip54 wrote:Thanks Eric.
That was good to read but maybe only to my ego.
That was the ploy...get the ego interested in peace. :twisted:
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
@EngagedNondual on Twitter
Blog at http://www.EngagedNonduality.com - Insights into Nondualism and Living Awake & Engaged

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Tue May 09, 2017 11:45 pm

Tulip54 wrote:I still get very jealous of people and their life's
I find this a hard to deal with. When I look at my life all I see is lack and when others look at my life all they see is lack.
In a world where we are all obsessed with looks and physical things how can I find peace?
Peace to everyone
Advance thank you for replying :D
Consider looking at your life in a different context. Looking and seeing only lack is the half of the glass that is empty. Look at the other portion, the portion that is full. Are you physically healthy? Do you have all your fingers and toes? Are you mentally healthy? Can you think clearly? Do you have a home to live in? Do you have a sense of freedom available to you? Do you have people in your life to love?

There are of course endless questions like this and some may well have 'no' answers to them. There are always many with yes answers as well. Which will you focus on? You do get to choose. Then there is a larger context in which you can consider and perceive life. If you are an eternal being, an extension of conscious creation, then there is a larger purpose in which even lack is valuable to the evolution of consciousness and being. In that, 'lack' is an aspect of fullness when 'experience' is the goal. I know it may sound a bit strange, but every experience has an ultimate value - even lack. So, if you are feeling lack, look upon it as a contribution to Life. Feel the fullness of contributing something of value to Life. Make this your constant focus and concerns of lack will soon dissipate.

WW

Tulip54

Post by Tulip54 » Wed May 10, 2017 7:33 pm

Thanks WW for your reply.
I am reading the new earth for the second time and it is almost like another book. I read it differently.
Does anyone else feel a little frustrated at times that there seems to be so much wrong in me as an unconscious human being. I know this isn't a fault of mine but I do think I am making progress then I read a chapter and think gosh I am still so unconscious still.
Obviously I am still missing the point and yet understanding it all at the same time.
As Ekhart says I still need time untill I realise there is no time

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Wed May 10, 2017 8:51 pm

Tulip54 wrote:Does anyone else feel a little frustrated at times that there seems to be so much wrong in me as an unconscious human being(?)
It's not uncommon for sure. However, comparing where you are in life to where you want to be, or where you 'should' be, is a near certain path to frustration and self-criticism. Where you currently are matters far less than moving in the direction you wish to go. Every step is a measure of growth in an eternal expansion and evolution. No matter where you are on the chain of being there's always more to become. That's the nature of eternal life. Constant criticism of where you are is sure fire way to stay where you are.

Far better to appreciate what you've accomplished, whatever it is, and immerse yourself in the enjoyment of the next step. Of course there are ebbs and flows, but that is just part of the rhythm of life. Give yourself a break. You are worth it - certainly in the eyes of that which is the Source of your life. What feels true?

WW

Tulip54

Post by Tulip54 » Wed May 10, 2017 10:29 pm

Thank you again WW
Your insights are profound. When I look back (only as a deeper insight to the now) I can remember first listening to Eckhart and thinking I understood it. My understanding now is so much deeper.
I know that every extetnal thing that comes my way needs to happen in order for me to grow more conscious.
Thank you for your words my mind and ego still play tricks on me.
Peace be with you. It's truly amazing that you give your time to reply to posts and help people and for that I sincerely thank you