Anyone else not really interested in Nonduality?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
flustered

Anyone else not really interested in Nonduality?

Post by flustered » Sun May 21, 2017 7:48 am

My life has gone from ->

I read a couple of books. They told me to be more present to the moment. They gave me a couple of tips to do that. My life immensely benefited from this. The essence of the teaching seems to be recommending perpetual mindfulness throughout the day.

to-> Eckhart Tolle Forum to->

Life is non dual. you are god. You are one with all that is. You aren't a human. You are pure consciousness. It's time to become enlightened buddy. etc etc etc :shock: :? :roll:

I mean honestly, I'm just not interested in nonduality. I'm not interested in trying to be enlightened or anything like that. I'm wondering if I'm the only one on this forum that shares this sentiment. Anyone else out there?

steve Davidson

Re: Anyone else not really interested in Nonduality?

Post by steve Davidson » Sun May 21, 2017 9:29 pm

I can resonate to what you wrote. I have gone from loving Nonduality teachings to hating them, to back, to hating them again, etc. I have a love/hate relationship with some Nondual teachings and teachers. What I would say is be true to yourself, "flustered", and if you are not really interested in nonduality at the moment, do not be interested in it. No one is forcing you, not Tolle nor anyone. Just because others are interested in Nonduality or talk about it does not mean you have to be. At some point in your life, you may or may not become interested in those teachings. If you find benefit in being mindful, applying mindfulness, and resonate with that, that is enough for you, right now, stick with that. From many years of experience on the spiritual path, it is best to stick with what you enjoy and resonate with, rather than trying to be somebody else or accept teachings that do not fit who you are. Thanks for your honest, heartfelt, sincere sharing and question about this.

ashley72

Post by ashley72 » Tue May 23, 2017 12:50 pm

I also have zero interest in non-duality, pure consciousness etc.

Some of the practices such as meditation, yoga, being present are helpful ways to counter-balance a stressful life. But ulimately humans are born with a brain that identifies with a self & thinks with abstraction.

dijmart

Post by dijmart » Tue May 23, 2017 10:10 pm

Well, they say ignorance (in this case, of one's true nature) is bliss. I just don't find it too blissful. Perhaps, you get to a point (might not be this lifetime) where you must wake-up or suffer, there's no in between. Which actually makes a lot of sense, if someone is having a fantastic dream, why wake-up?
Take what you like and leave the rest.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Tue May 23, 2017 11:59 pm

Here's the thing flustered. When life sucks, some folks tend to wonder if they're seeing it clearly. That curiosity then leads to all kinds of possibilities for what else might be true other than how they currently perceive things. Non-duality is one alternative view point that seems to resolves some issues. But then, it also tends to create new ones. It's also not the only alternative way to look at life. The good news is that we all get to do our own research and explore the new perspectives of our choice. There are plenty of options.

WW

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Wed May 24, 2017 12:02 am

You might find this thread interesting. This is the direction I headed when I ran out of non-duality gas. I have never enjoyed life so much.....and I've lived a lot of life.

http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth ... =28&t=9694

I also really like John's latest quote. It really resonated with me:

"Love without condition is love that doesn't care, it welcomes everything, it doesn't want to fix anything, it doesn't want to keep anything from being fixed, and that is you."

John Sherman
Be present, be pleasant.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sun May 28, 2017 12:35 pm

I'm not interested in trying to be enlightened or anything like that.
Makes sense. There is a big difference between "trying" to be something toward a future point in time verses noticing what is. The first carries an assumption that what you are is unenlightened to begin with. The second reflects simple curiosity into one's own nature.
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho

Mystic

Post by Mystic » Mon May 29, 2017 2:36 am

flustered wrote: I mean honestly, I'm just not interested in nonduality. I'm not interested in trying to be enlightened or anything like that. I'm wondering if I'm the only one on this forum that shares this sentiment. Anyone else out there?
I find the term "non-duality" to be very dualistic. I prefer the term universal oneness. Sometimes during meditation and moments of awakening, we can experience the oneness with the universe and with all beings. As Jesus said, forgive and be forgiven.

"A universal theology is impossible, but a universal experience is not only possible but necessary."
-- Schucman, Dr. Helen. A Course in Miracles (p. 1255). Foundation for Inner Peace. Kindle Edition.

What is seen emerges from the unseen, the unmanifested Source of all things. Particles of matter emerge from consciousness as evidenced by the double slit experiment of quantum mechanics. Material objects do not exist until they are observed. The most fundamental law of reality is the law of cause and effect. People put their faith in matter but universal oneness of consciousness is the cause and matter is an effect. Articulated knowledge is the basis for linguistic communication but it is not the direct non-articulated knowledge of Source(God). Spiritual practice is a training of the mind on the path to awakening.. The more awake and consciously aware you are, the more alive you are...

painBody

Post by painBody » Tue May 30, 2017 2:24 am

Feel free to correct me if I've misinterpreted what you're saying (text doesn't convey tone and context very well), but it seems to me that you're approaching this subject with a lot of mind and thinking and concepts, like it were something to be studied in school.

BTW, I have no clue what "nonduality" means, and I don't feel the slightest need or desire to look it up. To me, it's just another concept in the endless abyss of conceptual knowledge. I don't need concepts; I just need to know the truth.

When the pain within you motivates you to seek the truth, interest becomes irrelevant. You are instinctively driven to the teachings because you need your suffering to end. That goes far beyond interest to the point of needing to survive (i.e. regain your sanity).

No book or teacher or teaching can "tell" you what to do. The teachings are not to be understood or worse, followed; they're meant to be realized. By "realized", I mean that, when you read/hear teachings and they resonate with you; when you intuitively recognize that the teachings are true, that's when you truly benefit from the teachings. No one needs to tell you what to do, and you don't need any kind of motivation to follow the teachings. It just happens automatically, when you realize that you've discovered the truth and that your sanity is dependent on your compliance/alignment with those truths.

That said, if nonduality doesn't ring true to you, then, there is no point in studying/following it. Whatever you intuitively recognize to be true is what will point you in the right direction for you.

Or, maybe, I'm totally off here, and you're just asking this question from the perspective of an academic studying spiritual concepts ???

dijmart

Post by dijmart » Wed May 31, 2017 3:46 am

Here is a definition-

What is Advaita, or nonduality? Advaita means nondual or "not two" or "not seperate". This oneness is the fundamental quality of everything. Everything is a part of/made of and permeated by, one nondual conciousness (awareness).
Take what you like and leave the rest.