Help, what is the difference between the pain body and mind?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
herkom

Help, what is the difference between the pain body and mind?

Post by herkom » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:01 pm

Hi,
I read The power of now and A new earth. They both have the same "practice" for dissolving the mind attachment, but in the later Mr Tolle introduces "the pain body", is it a new thing or is it the mind from the power of now?
And another question: Do you think A new earth is neccesary or does the power of now contains everything needed (in practical terms) (I am very practical, so I only want the neccesary, this question bother me for long time, because I am a 'spiritual books collector' and I want to get rid of the unnecesary).

Greetings and good forum!

Webwanderer

Re: Help, what is the difference between the pain body and m

Post by Webwanderer » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:08 pm

Welcome to the forum.

The mind is the origin of the pain body, but it's more than that. The pain body results from the context in which we perceive our life events and circumstances. The more negatively we hold them, the more pain we store in our life energy - and thus create and strengthen what he calls the pain body. While Tolle speaks to how we might dissolve the attachments of the mind, he's not saying to dissolve the mind. That would be impossible. In many ways the mind is a context maker and holder.
herkom wrote:And another question: Do you think A new earth is neccesary or does the power of now contains everything needed
No particular book is necessary. Our greatest resource is our own inner being. Books such as Tolle's greatest attribute is their quality of pointing us in the direction of that contact and alignment. There are many paths to greater clarity. The best always lead us to our own insight and understanding.

Use whatever resources that 'feel' right. We each have the innate ability to perceive what is expansive to our consciousness and what is not. The energy of feeling is the language of our greater nature. The mind may add words but the way a thought feels is its clearest message.

WW

herkom

Post by herkom » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:54 pm

First of all, thanks for the reply.
Webwanderer wrote: The mind is the origin of the pain body.
According to this, if we cut down the identification with the mind(generating presence as the power of now teaches), this also delete the identification from the pain body?(and also dissolves it, although this is not as simple as read a book of course)

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:17 am

For me it's a bit more subtle than that. It's more an identification with the content of the mind. Think of all the possibilities that can follow the word 'I'. Saying 'I' begins the mental focusing on whatever comes next as an identifier. For example:
herkom wrote:(I am very practical, so I only want the neccesary, this question bother me for long time, because I am a 'spiritual books collector' and I want to get rid of the unnecesary[/b]).

Can you see how all of these statements help create elements of identification. Of course saying it is just a focus of attention that brings energy to an idea. Belief in those I-dentifiers is what builds a more certain context or perspective. There are thousands of them. Those that identify negatively, in some sort of imagined wrongful judgment about self or life, go into a context that brings us pain. Build enough into it and it becomes strong enough to be called a pain body - yet another identifier.

I suggest you not think too much about what brings you pain, and when you do (such things do come up) create a new mental meaning for those thoughts that puts them in a more positive light. Things only mean what we believe they mean, so change their context into something less painful to think about. This can usually be done by moving your consideration to a larger context.

WW

herkom

Post by herkom » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:06 am

Thank you for your replies and dedication in your forum :D