Adding content

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
nirvedh

Adding content

Post by nirvedh » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:32 pm

Hello everyone,
Eckhart says that adding concepts, knowledge and information is not necessary to be fully present. I'm a little confused by this. Does it meant that if I read his books, watch his videos about Presence, am I identified with my mind? Like if I need some more information about Presence or how it works or some insights relating to some problem I've got in my life.
I like to read the books and listen to his talks as they are fun, informative and peaceful. I don't feel any ego in me about doing this. The books are so wonderful and informative that it's a joy to re-read them and gain something totally new, I believe that Eckhart himself talked about this.
I'm still unconscious and identify with my mind, I find that reading Eckhart's works adds new insights, provides a new innovative outlook etc. So until I get to where Eckhart is (sustained presence), I still refer to his teachings.
Is this 'adding content' - an egoic activity? Should I stop relying on material altogether. I do practice being Present whenever I can, but I feel like I have a long way to go.
Am I misunderstanding his words altogether? Any ideas would be helpful.
Thanks!

rachMiel

Re: Adding content

Post by rachMiel » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:24 pm

nirvedh wrote:Eckhart says that adding concepts, knowledge and information is not necessary to be fully present.
It is until it isn't.

Sure, there are some (few) who are introduced by a teacher to presence, something clicks, and boom: They are present. And then there are some (even fewer) who don't need a teacher but are just present naturally, effortlessly.

But most of us need to go through a period of conceptualizing, studying, contemplating ... and then eventually letting all this accumulated information go. Kind of like a Tibetan sand painting which, when completed, is poured by its creators into a river.

The moral of the story: If you feel the need to dive into the teachings, then dive into the teachings with your whole body, heart, and mind. When the time comes for you to let go of the information you acquire ... let it go.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:23 pm

nirvedh wrote:Eckhart says that adding concepts, knowledge and information is not necessary to be fully present.
I agree with rachMiel. While it's not necessary to have knowledge and information to be fully present, it is another potential path to presence. Some can easily take things at face value. Others require more background and support to perceive its viability. For you, do what feels right. (Not that there is a wrong.) It's just there is likely a way that suits you best at this time. Proof in the pudding. If what you are doing allows you to live more presently then continue. If you find such approach lacking after a time, the context of certain contexts and concepts may be more useful.

WW

kiki

Post by kiki » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:16 am

Presence isn't dependent on concepts, knowledge or information. Presence is always, well... present. If attention is fixated on adding concepts, knowledge or information in order to be present then those things become obstructions from realizing presence. Those things are like food for the mind to grind away at, but if they are well crafted by their author out of presence then they may help lead the reader to feel within themselves the truth they are pointing to. In other words, if concepts lead you to dropping them then presence will reveal itself. This is the paradox we are stuck with in using concepts to get to presence.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.

nirvedh

Post by nirvedh » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:21 pm

the message I've learnt - trust yourself to do the right thing :). Thanks everyone for your replies