Depression

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
gwyll

Depression

Post by gwyll » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:22 pm

I once read in a newspaper about Eckhart Tolle's struggle with depression....I wanted to know, what did he find helpful?

Sorry if this post is not good, or in the wrong place or anything,...I guess, struggling with the same, I'm rather desperate for help.. I especially struggle with social isolation...

Thank you very much...

joel

Post by joel » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:53 pm

My very good friend has battled with what you're describing for as long as he can remember (52 yrs) and only finds relief when his awareness is very present and not in past/future thinking. Read The Power of Now. I think it will descrive what Eckhart found that works for him, and for me too. Welcome. :)

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:34 am

gwyll wrote:
I once read in a newspaper about Eckhart Tolle's struggle with depression....I wanted to know, what did he find helpful?
The Truth. That is the truth of what was his essential Identity vs. that separate identity he had believed and assumed himself to be.

Depression comes from the belief that there is something wrong with the way things are and that we are powerless to do anything about it.

Explore the building blocks of the mind and you will find it is a house of cards. Its existance cannot be supported by any real subtance or location. The mind, like the ego, and the separate sense of identity, are all assumed to be real and therefore have the appearance and sense of being a real identity. They are not.

Read up on the Power of Now and other works on Non-Dual teaching. Get clear on the Truth of Self. Assume nothing. Clear out everything you believe about life and live life directly, in this moment, without assumption. There is nothing wrong with this moment unless you think about it.

joel

Post by joel » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:50 pm

Now there's some serious peace :!:

Vpopov81

Depression

Post by Vpopov81 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:06 am

Depression causes a contracted negative energy charge within that energizes your thought pattern which perpetuates it. You might notice that while you feel extremely depressed you arent having thoughts of saving the world, or winning the lottery imagining how great that would be. These thoughts wont match the energy charge that needs feeding within you to perpetuate itself. If you want to get rid of depression the key is learning how to stop thinking. Cognitive therapy is based on the principle that if you change your thoughts your mood will change and this is true, but instead of forcing other thoughts, stop thinking altogether and simply be present and inhabit your body. Start watching your thoughts and how automatic they are. Read the power of now if you havent done so and study up on meditation. Meditation is simply the art of paying attention which quiets the mind. The difference between Eckharts teaching and meditation is that instead of paying attention for 20 minutes a day, Eckhart is showing you how this can be your default state of consciousness. I can relate to you very much and Eckharts teaching has really improved my life. PM me on aim sinnister28 if you wanna chat osmetimes. My name is Victor. Good luck

innermusiq

no

Post by innermusiq » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:51 am

I have to say that the PON has not helped me at all with depression. I have had it to some degree since childhood and has been in the chronic stage for a few years.

I 've been into PON for about 10 months do all portal practice, meditate, observe thought regularly throughout the day. I've had some very in the now experiences where thought stops completly, but when I interact with the world its there as bad as ever.

Yesterday I took my motorbike out for a ride ( to do that anymore is so hard I have no motivation left ) and for the whole time nothing felt real it was all very dream like, horrible in fact. What I thought was real doesn't seem real since ET. but depression is the only thing that feels real So back at home again I did portal, wathching the breath observing thought about 1 hour clock time.

My thought subsided, and there wasn't much there to begin with, no depressed thought but a horrible low depressed feeling of whats the point anymore more a feeling not a thought, I went with this feeling deep inside to the point of being ill and sick to my stomach. I tried to find what am i identified with that I still feel this, who feels it and there was nothing, but that feeling, I disidentified with everything in life (again) I would have gladly died then and there, in other words I wanted to let it all go, I even stopped identifying with breathing hoping this would end identification with a body but I still had to take a breath, and even with a blank mind I felt exactly the same. I guess you could say its not thought but a feeling of I don't want to go on in life anymore, none of holds any interest , its been an eternal nightmare with no end.

You name it I've tried it. Medication doesn't work, for six years I've tried meds and combinations of meds without any success. Therapy and alternative therapy has not helped either. ET's teaching is the last hope I have but theres been no improvement. I have accecpted and allowed it all as thats all I can do and that in itself reduced some of the stress it causes.There 's not much I want or need out of life, I've only ever wanted peace and quiet, not materialistic at all, there seems to be no reason for this other than a mental illness,

I get whats been said by E.T. have the books dvd etc, and nothing works for me and there is no me., but this form has had enough suffering.

The only thing that felt real to me yesterday was its always now and I can't stand this feeling that seems to be in my essence, even in my body NOT MY MIND how can it be when its blank ??

I know the watcher awareness is there but I have to say that that knowing and stillness doesn't help ease much.

I'm sorry for this long post didn't really want to put it up here, I don't talk about it to anyone anymore as I'm all talked out and its more identification. You might say all story and it is , so why can't I shake this off if I know this ??

I'm hoping someone will say the magic few words that pulls it all ( the teaching) together as I don't know where I'm going wrong. Its as if I need a final push into whatever it is. ( Don't expect anything and you won't be disappointed, as Mum used to say lol )

I know it sounds bad, this is the white washed version., but i'll get by have done for 40 years. I don't mean to put anyone off ETs teaching he has answered a lot of questions I 've had in understandig life, its just I'm pretty desperate. Thanks guys.

All Is Now

Post by All Is Now » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:01 pm

innermusiq,

is there anything that happens in your life which improves your feeling of it?

innermusiq

no

Post by innermusiq » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:30 am

No, I'm sorry to say.

But hey if it ( ET ) works for you then great.

I'm inclined to say that its not depression and suffering that promts us to awaken but rather its the opposite way, awakening happens then suffering is the result of the awakening to The Now. Seems to be my experience and thats all I can go by.

I could see the cracks in this ego driven world at age 8 which is when low mood and depression started.

Vpopov81

Post by Vpopov81 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:00 am

bro try exercise, Watching thought is really doing miracles for me or rather ceasing thought, watching it makes me worse, but taking conventional steps like jogging every other day really helps me. I can only say that I know what its like to listen to a spiritual teacher and feel like its not working.

What kind of thoughts do you have in your daily life. Are they deeply negative? Are you deeply reactive with your loved ones? Also while remaining present have you tried allowing the depression to be there rather than fighting it?

Don't give up, you have more of an incentive to stay present than most, but dont forget conventional methods. I myself became ill from medications so I definately feel ya.

Also look for the things you use to cover up the depression if any such as food, nicotine, or sex and drop them.

You might even wanna try no sexual release for a few months to restore vitality.

Im sure there are many things we havent even thought of. If you keep seeking you will find and if things get really really screwed up please dont hesitate to pm me. We are truly indeed one being and we have to help eachother. Gl

weopposedeception

Post by weopposedeception » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:12 am

Gwyll, I posted a little on this topic in the general discussion area. I can surely identify with everything you're going through. Feel free to PM me if you wish, I don't have any magic words or anything but I have been through it intact somehow. My name is Joe.

innermusiq

Thanks

Post by innermusiq » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:08 am

Thank you guys for your posts and offer to pm, I didn't really want to put this out there as I said i don't talk about it much anymore so as not to identify etc. I just wanted to try find what am I not getting, so I don't need to Pm anyone but thanks again.

As to the other pointers or advice, I was a health food and yoga fanatic for a long number of years and I didn't find exercise made any difference.
Recently just been walking combined with deep yoga breathing and staying present, tried that for a few months and it just became a chore so I let it go.
As for the sex I lost interest a long time ago, so thats not an issue. I don't smoke or use drugs and alcohol gives me migraines which is lucky because i would be an alcoholic by now.
I'm not about to give up I'm too stuborn for that I do believe in ET's teaching thats not the issue its not helping the way i feel and I can't see why.
I do allow it to be there its all I can do but the stress of depression does eventually get on top of me and I crack, its not negative thinking its more a feeling. Its there even without any thought, when expressed in words it sounds as though its all negative thought.

Vpopov81

Post by Vpopov81 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:38 pm

Right on, just know that if it gets to that level you got peeps!

Have you thought about trying to find a good conscious teacher? I know that when I 1st read PON I started getting everything on Eckhart that I possibly could and I could indeed feel his peace even watching him on a screen and listening to his words on audio.

Maybe finding a meditation group where you can be around a positive collective energy field.

And as far as the negative feeling yes I know it intimately, but try to really focus on snapping back to presence when the energy is feeding itself through negative thought. Holding intense presence on the inner body is also a great too but I don't mean as a practice I mean like 24/7 staying in the now.

Im sure maybe youve thought of all these things and it might feel really annoying for no one to be able to help but its worth a shot for us to keep spittin ideas.

Your already on the right path because you are looking for the answer, and the path to the answer always leads to the answer.

Again GL

innermusiq

cheers

Post by innermusiq » Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:28 am

I would like to thank you all again for the advice, support and your patience with me. You have all been very very helpful and its much appreciated.

The good news is I may have had a break thru last night.

I want to give myself a day or two to see how I go as I'm worn out, its been very intense and frustrating these last few days and you guys have indeed helped me thru it.

I will update soon, Peace to you all.

eseward

Post by eseward » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:03 pm

I offer this for your consideration: depression is a recognition that your individual sense of self is powerless to "make" life turn out "good". Depression is the individual sense of self's recognition that it is essentially alone and isolated in an overwhelming universe. So depression is a natural result of conclusions we normally come to in the course of our development, a recognition of our helplessness.

But no problem. Because everything in our lives really is operating in our favor, and depression, if present, is among those things. The pain eventually pushes us to look for relief, and as has been said here, only the Truth can relieve this pain.

As Eckhart says, our problem is not who we are but who we BELIEVE we are: individual selves unconnected from the Whole and responsible for everything.

Luckily, we don't actually have to know what's true to find our relief and release; we only have to stop believing so stubbornly in things that are NOT true. And it helps a lot to first see how stubbornly we cling to our false beliefs and conclusions.

As we stop IDENTIFYING with those things in our heads (thoughts and feelings), and just let them be there as if they belonged to someone else, we create a space that WILL be filled by a higher intelligence. We will gain insights that will be "the truth that sets us free". It is amazing, and is our "inheritence" too.

Notice that Eckhart describes his experience with this: at the height of his depression and anxiety, he found inside him a self he couldn't live with anymore. As he dis-identified with this "self" (as he stopped taking this negative "self" as being his true nature), his freedom was effortlessly achieved.

Those thoughts and feelings within you, if negative, are junk you've picked up along the way. If you stop taking them as the real you, then the real you will emerge by itself. So create an inner space (through dis-identifying), then sit back and let it be filled.

Sorry if I rambled on. :)

joel

Post by joel » Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:36 pm

I have no advice for you, I don't think you want it or need it. But, I will offer my own experience with this, what I call atmosphere. I had meditated for years, to the point where there was nothing left but a non-specific but potent and toxic cloud. I realized it was the energetic odor that lingered from the rot that I used to believe was me and my life. Being patient while the "smell" cleared wasn't easy, but it did clear, completely. Holding no self-description allowed for having no confusion that what lingered wasn't needed, in any way.