Having difficulty living in the present

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Newman

Post by Newman » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:23 pm

Dear all,

I'm very analytically minded and have found hypnotherapy very difficult as a result, however I'm listening to the power of now, and am finding it difficult to get into the present. My mind likes to wonder. For example he suggested an exercise in which you observe your own thoughts to see what comes next, apparently one should take ages to think about a next thought, I however had one instantly. I find it kinda easy, assuming I'm doing it right, to focus on my body in terms of trying to be 'present'.

Any advice grateful and welcome!

kiki

Re: Having difficulty living in the present

Post by kiki » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:30 pm

If it's easier to put awareness in the body to be present then stick with that. Thought stream is so habitual you can't expect it to stop when you first begin to watch thoughts. It takes clock time to first notice the "gap" between thoughts. However, consciousness is still present, otherwise you wouldn't even know that thoughts were arising.

If you can get hold of the audio of Stillness Speaks and simply listen to it without straining to understand the concepts he uses; just listen without struggle, let the words flow through you. Let his words draw you in, and when he pauses simply rest. At some point you may notice the mind is silent.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

kiki
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.

Newman

Post by Newman » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:55 pm

Thanks for your response Kiki I will look this up!

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:40 pm

Welcome to the forum Newman.

I offer this suggestion as it has worked very well for me. Simply observe the moment. Using your senses of hearing, seeing and physical sensing of the moment, observe what is within your conscious presence. Don't label or analyze or judge. Simply relax and experience what's there as it is. Listen, see, feel, openly. Breathe deeply and be the experience of the moment. Be aware without contribution to what is. Enjoy, appreciate.

WW

Newman

Post by Newman » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:00 pm

Thanks WW.

rachMiel

Post by rachMiel » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:24 pm

You are always living in the present ... you can't live anytime else! So no problem there. :-)

Being aware that you are living in the present moment = being present in the moment ... now that's trickier.

A good way to get that going is simply to pay attention to / be with your experience, whatever that experience happens to be. I'm typing, I'm sleepy, this computer screen is bright, I dread going to the staff meeting today, I'm so looking forward to my vacation in Greece, orange sunset, beautiful tree. Keep it simple and modest. Any "super power" you project onto presence -- such as awakening, heightened consciousness, wisdom, etc. -- is only going to kick you out of it.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

Newman

Post by Newman » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:13 pm

I'm curious when he speaks of being in the present is he talking about being in the present all the time? Not just during meditation? I know he speaks of being in a queue for example at the bank and choosing to enjoy the queue but surely he wouldn't appreciate being in a queue at the bank or traffic jam and while at it being made late for a good job interview? This brings up another question can someone be so called 'englightend' and have a career at the same time? After all having a career is dependent on others approval whether this be the boss promoting you or your staff working for you to help your department do well??

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:17 pm

My take is this: The ability to be present is knowing where you home state is. Maybe there are some who can be present at all times, but it seems doubtful depending on how one defines presence. For example, unless one is fully lucid during all dreams then it suggests that one cannot always be present in all circumstances. Anything less is just a matter of degree. If one is working our a math or some other problem in their mind, are they not lacking full awareness and presence to their other surroundings?

There are endless distractions that can capture our attention and remove a specific focus from our immediate surroundings. So what then makes sense? I see it as clearly knowing our basic state of consciousness as that that is free of distracting thought - the kind of thought that engages us in internal dialog to the distraction of that which is currently present.

We spend lots of time thinking about the past and imagining possible futures. Neither is a bad thing so long as we recognize them for what they are and are not so engaged as to consume all of our present awareness. Too often we just move from one thought stream to another without ever living free of thought resting in the present moment.

The easy and quick ability to let go of thought and return to resting in a thought free presence is immensely valuable. Such ability is key to alignment with our greater being and all the insight that comes from that Divine Source. Most everyone has the inherent ability to be present and make that connection, but it may take some practice after a lifetime of mental conditioning to living in thought steams over presence awareness.

As to the boss, we are here for a reason. Engaging with others in all manor of life themes is the grist for the evolutionary mill. Life is often referred to as a dance. That dance is the to and fro of engaging in experiences and then relaxing back into presence in order to integrate the nature of the dance into our understanding of being. The better clarity we have on resting in presence, the better we integrate each phase of the dance.

Of course you don't have to wait for the next meditation to return to presence. It's available in endless moments throughout the day. True Meditation, a term coined by Adyashanti, is an open eyed, anytime, thought-free moment of clear conscious awareness. It's a condition of mental rest and openness to what ever is. Highly recommended.

WW

Newman

Post by Newman » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:56 pm

Ok thanks WW. I view this as just a tool to help meditation / be relaxed in oneself then and not fundamental to being an enlightened person?

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:31 am

"Enlightened person" is a bit of a moving target. It depends on who's writing the definition. My take is that we are all enlightened relative to where we were in some past, less aware, moment. So we're all on the path of enlightenment whether we acknowledge it or not.

I've heard many claim enlightenment, but what does that mean? Does it mean an expansion of consciousness such as comes with a near death experience? Those who have had them don't generally make such claim as enlightened even though their perspective on life changes dramatically.
I believe enlightenment as a goal may be a set up for failure. I suggest focusing on increasing clarity and let others debate the labels.

WW

Newman

Post by Newman » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:39 am

I was always under the impression that it means to be happy and not stressed out with the usual life chores eg need to get a career and be successful

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:26 pm

I agree that happiness may be an element, but it likely includes some awakened sense of self. One that is free of the identification with thought constructs.

WW

Newman

Post by Newman » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:48 pm

Yes well over the years I have tried to reduce the amount of negative self talk I do and I think I've been pretty good at it, my therapist says I sound a lot more positive than I used to be

jimjan

Post by jimjan » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:28 pm

kiki wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:30 pm

If you can get hold of the audio of Stillness Speaks and simply listen to it without straining to understand the concepts he uses

There is audio version of this on scribd. I'm new to this forum so I'm not sure if I should post a link on here for a two months free trial (it's usually one month). But if you send me an email or private message I can send it that way.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:33 pm

Welcome jimjam. Sure - you can post a discount for scribd.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce