Question about the book

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
mochap

Question about the book

Post by mochap » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:49 am

Hi,
In the Power of Now, Eckhart says that anyone at any moment can access consciousness and be present. How is this possible in certain situations, say, if someone is in a coma?

jukai

Re: Question about the book

Post by jukai » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:02 am

The coma is probably the one situation in which you just cannot access that consciousness.

I think there are also other states of impaired cognition, such as delirium (caused by dehydration, for instance), in which the brain (i.e. the human form) would make it very difficult, if not impossible, to remain present.

So, I wouldn't take what Eckhart says literally. He is making a generalization. He is referring to the more mundane everyday states of human consciousness, when he says that we can always be present.

Onceler

Re: Question about the book

Post by Onceler » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:32 pm

About a a quarter of the subjects in deep comas in a recent study responded to the suggestion that they visualize themselves playing tennis at Wimbledon......their prefrontal motor cortex lit up while in a MRI scan. The activity stopped when they were told to stop the visualization and started again when told to do so.
Be present, be pleasant.