Thoughts and balance

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Willie6

Thoughts and balance

Post by Willie6 » Mon May 14, 2018 3:04 pm

I live in thoughts. Thinking can be a source of entertainment and reflection for me. But I see where this has also become a problem. I feel like I would enjoy life much more without this constant "wonder" that I get stuck in. I have had small glimpses of that freedom.. But my question is this: aren't I giving up on crucial awareness in my daily life if I am to give up constant thinking? Won't I then be missing out on important points that need to be focused on/pondered/addressed? What is the balance between living in the now, but also being ready and aware of my surroundings and problems that need my attention? Where do those two meet? I hope this doesn't sound too lame and makes some kind of sense. Thanks.

Webwanderer

Re: Thoughts and balance

Post by Webwanderer » Mon May 14, 2018 7:48 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Willie6 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 3:04 pm
What is the balance between living in the now, but also being ready and aware of my surroundings and problems that need my attention? Where do those two meet?
The balance comes with the knowledge and recognition of the flow of thought. When you recognize a thought stream as a thought stream, it's a recognition from awareness. I'm not suggesting it's all bad. One is a matter of being in control, the other is a matter of being controlled by one's conditioned perspective over the course of our life. Thought streams can be useful tools when purposeful. They can also be addictive and debilitating.

Learn to recognize the distinction. Are you aware of the direction your thinking is taking you, and are you consciously choosing that course of thought? Or are you on an emotional, habitual ride that only serves to support an underlying belief that may be detrimental to your well-being? Make it a habit to watch your thoughts and see them for what they are.

It is, and likely will remain for a while, easy to get lost in thoughts. Just keep up the practice of returning to presence and acknowledge what you see. No self judgment. That's only another thought stream. It's simply developing a new skill of observation. And like all new skills, they take time to master.

WW

eputkonen

Re: Thoughts and balance

Post by eputkonen » Mon May 14, 2018 9:10 pm

Willie6 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 3:04 pm
I live in thoughts. Thinking can be a source of entertainment and reflection for me. But I see where this has also become a problem. I feel like I would enjoy life much more without this constant "wonder" that I get stuck in. I have had small glimpses of that freedom.. But my question is this: aren't I giving up on crucial awareness in my daily life if I am to give up constant thinking? Won't I then be missing out on important points that need to be focused on/pondered/addressed? What is the balance between living in the now, but also being ready and aware of my surroundings and problems that need my attention? Where do those two meet? I hope this doesn't sound too lame and makes some kind of sense. Thanks.
Thinking gets in the way of crucial awareness. Letting go of though (i.e. not thinking) would mean being more aware of the now. Case in point, when I was studying the martial arts (old Yang Style Taijiquan)...we would have these drills of people surrounding me and attacking at random. Being ready and aware of my surroundings and problems that need my attention happened most effectively when I was not thinking. As soon as I started thinking, I would usually get hit...because I was not aware enough...and so an attack got through. I was most aware when I simply intended to be openly aware of everything within a 10 foot circle and didn't think. These exercises gave me first hand experience that thought gets in the way of awareness and being able to act quickly. Thought does not help...it hinders. We like to think that it helps, but it doesn't.

If something needs to be pondered (which is rare for me), then I think and ponder away. That is what I am focused on doing. But most of the time, I am simply focused on the experience of now...which does not require thought. Because I am aware, I am able to act quickly...spontaneously...without deliberation...to whatever is in at the moment.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
@EngagedNondual on Twitter
Blog at http://www.EngagedNonduality.com - Insights into Nondualism and Living Awake & Engaged