Which doorway?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Sakampa

Which doorway?

Post by Sakampa » Tue May 15, 2018 5:38 pm

Hi all,

I notice that Eckhart gives multiple ways (techniques) to enter the NOW. There are 2 questions I have about it.

First:
In the Power of Now there are a few firm advices, almost stated like rules, which if I combine them together things get too much.
For example Eckhart says: "Ask yourself as often as you can, what am I feeling/thinking right now?" and he also says "Never loose touch of your inner body." And then he dedicates an entire chapter in saying that you always need to surrender to the present moment.

So in stead of feeling like I have options and I only need to choose one way to get in the Now, it seems to me that I "need" to do everyone of those things. It just seems too much.

Second:
Okay, now lets use my imagination and lets say that my intepretation is incorrect, and that he does indeed mean that there are multiple doorways to the Now and I can choose one of them that suits me. So without clouding them with other methods (doorways). My question then remains: which doorway do I need to take? The problem with multiple doorways is that my mind makes a problem out of that. My desire to be in the Now, makes me a constant evaluator of the different doorways and how effective they are for me.
It's saying; "Maybe the inner body isnt for you, maybe you should try breath awareness like Buddha promoted, or maybe I just "watch the thinker". The result is that im constantly hopping back and forth between techniques.

So my question is, which technique should I use to stop this madness? :)

kiki

Re: Which doorway?

Post by kiki » Wed May 16, 2018 1:08 am

Hi Sakampa, and welcome to the board.

There are no rules to follow in order to awaken and no regimen with specific guidelines. There are many things one can do, but no one can tell you which is the right one. If that were the case awakening would be pretty simple for everyone, but that's not the way it works out. What works best for you is the right one, and it's up to you to discover what that is.

Everyone is different, and what works for one person may not be best suited for someone else right away. Your unique conditioning accounts for what will work best for you. So, try out whatever you want or what appeals to you. Give one or two of them an honest go and see where it takes you, and if it isn't helping you then let it go and try something else. Keep in mind that it's not unusual to come back to something that didn't work the first time but then does when you go back to it. Be creative to your heart's desire; there's no one who will "grade" you on your effort. If you feel you are trying too much or too little then make a change. You might even discover something no one else has, so have fun with it.

Once again, welcome to the board. I hope you enjoy your time here.

kiki
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---