The Pain Body

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Keith_James

The Pain Body

Post by Keith_James » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:33 am

Hello,

I was first introduced to The Power Of Now almost 4 years ago, and it open a lot of new perspectives for me. I wondered away from the teachings for some years after that and just recently came back to it through A New Earth. Obviously I was/am feeling some kind of pain or longing for more understanding about myself and my own pain that I searched out Eckhart Tolle again and his teachings because I remember the peace and clarity they brought to my life when I first discovered it.

My question for you, my freinds in peace is this: Have you ever felt "worse" (and I mean long-term, a few days or weeks) after becoming very aware of your pain body? I have been actively trying to remain present when I feel those pain body related emotions and mind patterns arise in myself for the past couple weeks, and I feel an unusual undercurrent of unhappiness and anxiety. Am I feeling the "withdrawal" emotions from not feeding my pain body as obsessively and unconsciously as I have for my entire life? Or am I possibly doing it all wrong? Maybe I "think" I'm dealing with my pain body with consciousness and awareness but what I'm actually doing is avoiding it all together thus making it stronger somehow? Has anyone ever experienced anything similar?

Thank you for reading!

Webwanderer

Re: The Pain Body

Post by Webwanderer » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:36 pm

Keith_James wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:33 am
My question for you, my freinds in peace is this: Have you ever felt "worse" (and I mean long-term, a few days or weeks) after becoming very aware of your pain body? I have been actively trying to remain present when I feel those pain body related emotions and mind patterns arise in myself for the past couple weeks, and I feel an unusual undercurrent of unhappiness and anxiety.
Welcome to the forum Keith. Feeling worse after becoming aware of the pain body is understandable in that you are now more focused on it than you are when distracted by other ongoing events in your life. The underlying causes of the pain is always there, it's just not present and center when you are focused elsewhere.

Consider that the pain body is of our own creation. It is anchored by our belief system, which relates to the things that cause us pain. Pain is related to the intensity of the judgment and condemnation we hold for the things that cause us that pain. As you must know, we have a higher nature, a true nature, that is unconditionally loving. Meditation and presence awareness is the avenue in which to become aligned with that true nature. Judgment and condemnation however, is an energy and focus that is out of alignment with that true nature. That difference in vibrational energy, that friction, is the pain we feel.

Am I feeling the "withdrawal" emotions from not feeding my pain body as obsessively and unconsciously as I have for my entire life? Or am I possibly doing it all wrong? Maybe I "think" I'm dealing with my pain body with consciousness and awareness but what I'm actually doing is avoiding it all together thus making it stronger somehow?
It's not withdrawal. There is more than one way to feed a pain construct. One to constantly think about it, role over in your mind, rationalize it, etc. Another is to focus upon it, adding energy, without altering the context of it in your belief system. In some ways it's better to starve it of energy through indifference if you can't objectively change the meaning you apply to it. That said, indifference is a change in meaning that you don't have to think about.

Over all, pain is not a bad thing. It's a kind of guiding light (albeit maybe a red flashing one) that tells us that the way we think about something is out of alignment with the way our larger Self perceives it. It's an opportunity to reconstruct the way we perceive something that causes us pain.

WW