Why are we doing this?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Admiral Akmir

Why are we doing this?

Post by Admiral Akmir » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:49 am

Why did I read ET's book? Why do I try to follow the teachings? What is the purpose of it? What is supposed to happen? I ask myself what I hope to get out of this, and I can't come up with an answer. It bothers me that I feel compelled to pursue these kinds of teachings, but have no idea why. The only obvious explanation is that I'm not comfortable with my own self image, and the idea that it's not real feels better than the alternative. The posts on this forum seem to indicate the same of others, as do the talks that ET and other teachers give. Everyone wants to know how to be free of suffering - they want something other than what they currently have.

Is that all this is about? It feels like it falls short of being a satisfactory answer, but I can't think of anything else.

Sighclone

Re: Why are we doing this?

Post by Sighclone » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:37 pm

AA -
Another author, Amoda Maa has written a very different sort of book, "Embodied Enlightenment," that helps to answer this question...readable but 'thought-provoking' - highly recommended.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:56 am

Great questions. I had the same questions and gave it up, stopped the search. Threw the books away. Quit the forums and the videos. I’ve been much happier since. Maybe there’s nothing to change but the search? I found that when I stopped stalking the answers they started to come around like inquisitive forest animals. Your life is your life is your life. Live it.
Be present, be pleasant.

turiya

Post by turiya » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:46 am

Onceler wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:56 am
I found that when I stopped stalking the answers they started to come around like inquisitive forest animals.
I enjoyed the mental image your sentence just gave me. :D
“We ourselves are not an illusory part of Reality; rather are we Reality itself illusorily conceived.” - Wei Wu Wei

ThatAwareness

Post by ThatAwareness » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:04 am

We are drawn to these things because it gets us closer to the truth of who we really are. And in that truth lies the end of suffering and a more beautiful living experience.

If you are not satisfied with identifying with your self-image, then find the absolute truth to this question: "Who am I?"

:)

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:44 pm

Wanting something other than what is in hand appears to be the de facto human standard. What Tolle is pointing to is the opposite. He speaks to attention to what is right now, an invitation to notice the present.

Why do that? Isn't the present more interesting than a bunch of thoughts that disagree with the totality of being? Those thought have a sour core. What is already here has a sweet joy at the center of being.
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho