Should I leave everything behind?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
ThatAwareness

Should I leave everything behind?

Post by ThatAwareness » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:01 am

Hello,
Ever since disidentifying with thought, this mind has slowly started to realize its current life situation does not feel authentic. This 23-year old body lives in a comfortable peaceful home with a loving family and the ability to make a living as a professional artist. But the desires to have a home, to have money, to have friends and family have completely vanished.

Replacing these desires is the call to sit out in the world and to experience this endless peace completely, without the distractions of 'life'. And maybe spreading this peace and joy wherever possible.

The possibility of starvation and discomfort are not deterrents, for even death is something to be lovingly embraced when it comes.

Should I leave everything behind, and dive into the depths of stillness?

Thanks for any suggestions or advice <3

oak tree

Re: Should I leave everything behind?

Post by oak tree » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:13 pm

Where would you like to go?

I guess you can return to your family / career later, if you wish.

However you may be able to dive into depths of stillness even while participating in family and work life. The challenges you face may even help.

turiya

Post by turiya » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:22 pm

ThatAwareness wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:01 am
Should I leave everything behind, and dive into the depths of stillness?
Why not dive into the depths of stillness right now, leaving all ideas of "you" and "everything" behind?

From stillness, right now, your "life situation" will unfold naturally, effortlessly, harmoniously, gracefully. :D
“We ourselves are not an illusory part of Reality; rather are we Reality itself illusorily conceived.” - Wei Wu Wei

ThatAwareness

Post by ThatAwareness » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:01 pm

Perhaps it may be best to dive into stillness while living in a home. Especially since it seems this body is averse to being cold and hungry haha.

Thank you both for the helpful suggestions :)

fallingIntoNow

Post by fallingIntoNow » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:14 pm

Interesting situation you find yourself in. My instinct (and experience) tells me two things:
  • If you do not listen to this inner calling then it will continue to linger in the backseat of your mind/consciousness and sooner or later you will have to make the decision to either honor it or reject it (for now or temporarily
  • From my experience, desires and impulses can present themselves strongly in our minds and bodies (for instance, the desire to set out on a new business venture; the desire to leave home and pursue a more loving existence, and so on) and then within time--sometimes hours, days, or weeks--they will dissolve into nothing. Sometimes these impulses will persist, but in my own experience, they are so fleeting that I find it incredibly hard to invest myself into them because of their unstable nature.
I'm not sure if this impulse feels deeper than that. I imagine that a lot of my impulses are driven by mental/emotional patterns and I have a hard time trusting those :roll: