How can I handle unpleasant emotions

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
jtightlips21

How can I handle unpleasant emotions

Post by jtightlips21 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:10 am

I find this is what causes overthinking for me. I use thoughts to suppress feelings that I dont really want to be there, and then overanalyze the feelings, or want to blame others or my environment for negative feelings. I find I become resentful towards people over times they had acted in a shaming way or guilted me for not doing what they wanted me to do. The more I see it, the more I notice that something in me is allowing negative emotions. Or in cases where I am feeling disconnected, I have often blamed the place for being too rundown, ordinary, old, cramped or boring. There are also cases where I have felt uncontrollable rage that I needed to talk myself out of before doing something destructive.

So I was wondering how to best handle emotions that are nihilistic, socially inappropriate, degrading or restrictive.

Dcdc

Re: How can I handle unpleasant emotions

Post by Dcdc » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:08 pm

In my opinion, the answer is quite simple (don't be mad at me, hehehehe): be present.

What you call "emotions" are forms, right? In other words, we created words to describe something that is happening in our body/manifestation, but these names don't exist in the real world.

I think that what happens is: your body/manifestation lives what is going on in that moment of perception. When the moment of perception is fearful - or something bad as that -, your body/manifestation acts accordingly and, then, we lable what it is (as we lable everything). "Wow, I'm afraid now"; "Wow, I'm angry right now" and so on.

These bad moments of perception usually happens exacly when we are living the illusion world (unless that you are present, but the present moment has something real bad happening, as a wild animal ready to attack in front of you, for example; but this is rare). So, in my opinion, you can do two things:

(i) Bring yourself to the present moment the most that you can. Therefore, your manifestation will live in an easier and less threatening world, in addition to be the real world;

(ii) If you realize that you are having bad emotions anyway, just stop everything and do a (quickly if you like) body scan meditation: just use your force to stop everything, look to your body and realize what is going on. You'll probably realize that your body do a lot of crazy things and sensations when you are imerse in such strong feeling. When you continue to do that and just don't lable what it is going on, you perceive that these things are just sensations, and these sensations (as the rest of the world as well) are in constant changing. With a little time, the sensations that you would lable as something bad (as fear or angry) changes to other things or even just disappear.

That's it :- )

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:30 am

jtightlips21 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:10 am
So I was wondering how to best handle emotions that are nihilistic, socially inappropriate, degrading or restrictive.
My sense is that you have a wrong idea about emotions. (Not morally wrong, just inaccurate.) I see emotions as gifts from Source. What they represent is a measure of our alignment with our true nature. Consider what genuine alignment feels like. It feels like love and appreciation. It feels inclusive and expansive. It feels like peace and joy.

In alignment there is no anger, no hate, no fear, no condemnation. In none of these negative emotions can one say they feel aligned with their spiritual nature. At these times there is a sense of judgment and separation. Instead of expansion and inclusion, there is contraction and exclusion. Our emotions are the messages that tell us the nature of our alignment with our Source Being.

There is no judgment, nothing wrong, with negative emotions. Well, from a human sense maybe. But from a spiritual sense, it's just part of the framework of exploring the human experience. It provides us with feedback on how we perceive the world we live in.

All that said, I suggest reconsidering your perspective on emotions. There are ways to make them your friends - all of them.

WW

jtightlips21

Post by jtightlips21 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:28 pm

I find that any emotions of helplessness and nihilism are the most difficult. For some reason, I have noticed this attachment to anger, only because it feels empowering and strong. Then I thought back and remembered how there were times where I felt utterly helpless against nihilistic forces, and could not tolerate the fear and depression I experienced. I hope this helps, but I am considering a meditation practice of facing the memories of feeling helpless.