Is easier to be present when we do things slowly?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Dcdc

Is easier to be present when we do things slowly?

Post by Dcdc » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:09 pm

Good morning, everyone.

Do you think that is easier to be present and be aware when we are doing something slower?

For example: when you are walking, do you think that is easier to be present when you walk slower? When you are taking a bath, do you think that is easier to be present when you do the "movements" slowly?

What are your thoughts about that?

Webwanderer

Re: Is easier to be present when we do things slowly?

Post by Webwanderer » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:33 am

Yeah, it's kind of what Tai Chi is about. I see no reason one couldn't take a bath 'Tai Chi' style.

WW

Loffe

Post by Loffe » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:43 am

When in deeper presence I do things slowly. I suppose its working other way around also - doing thing slowly to be in deeper presence.
Loffe

Dcdc

Post by Dcdc » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:57 pm

Thank you for the answers, it is awesome to confirm that information.

Question to all of you: has anybody tried (or are trying) to do the most things as possible, as WW and Loffe respectively said, in "tai chi" or "in deeper presence" by doing slowly and with awareness? In other words: a practice that bring ourselves to the present moment also doing every action (to write, to brush your teeth, to move the computer's mouse during the work, for example) like this? If yes, what are your experiences about it?

Thank you again.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:41 pm

I suggest you don't get too hung up on 'slow'. It's a means to an end and not a goal in itself. Recognizing presence awareness over thought stream identification is what matters. Once a clear familiarity is gained, slow is less relevant.

WW

Dcdc

Post by Dcdc » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:47 pm

Webwanderer wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:41 pm
I suggest you don't get too hung up on 'slow'. It's a means to an end and not a goal in itself. Recognizing presence awareness over thought stream identification is what matters. Once a clear familiarity is gained, slow is less relevant.

WW
You are absolutely right. The goal can't be the "slowness". I'm going to pay attention to not aim that.

What I actually thought when I did this question was more about the awareness of every movement. The "correct" question would be: has anybody tried (ou are trying) to do all the actions (as to write, to brush your teeth, to move the computer's mouse during the work, for example) with awareness? Something like having a full day doing every movement in meditation/TaiChi/awareness? If yes, what are your thoughts about it?

Thank you so much.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:44 pm

I've found it to be a great practice. That said, it's unlikely to be able to spend every moment all day in slow motion presence awareness. What is much more practical is to take short moments, repeated often, all day, every day in clear moments of thought-free presence.

There is no litmus test for the right amount other than the genuine feel of steady movement toward ever increasing clarity. It's not so much an exercise for a few days or few weeks, but a way of life that is simple and easy to follow. Just return to a moment of presence whenever the opportunity arises, today, tomorrow, the day after, from now on. Find what's comfortable and effective and enjoy it.

WW

Dcdc

Post by Dcdc » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:52 pm

Webwanderer wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:44 pm
I've found it to be a great practice. That said, it's unlikely to be able to spend every moment all day in slow motion presence awareness. What is much more practical is to take short moments, repeated often, all day, every day in clear moments of thought-free presence.

There is no litmus test for the right amount other than the genuine feel of steady movement toward ever increasing clarity. It's not so much an exercise for a few days or few weeks, but a way of life that is simple and easy to follow. Just return to a moment of presence whenever the opportunity arises, today, tomorrow, the day after, from now on. Find what's comfortable and effective and enjoy it.

WW
All right, my friend. Thank you for your your answer :- )