Is the ego a necessary process of adulthood and maturity

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
jtightlips21

Is the ego a necessary process of adulthood and maturity

Post by jtightlips21 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:26 am

It seems like much we associate with Childhood seems ego transcendent, such as their ability to be in the present, non-duality, wonder, non-judgment and a sense of wholeness. While adulthood is associated with egoic traits of skepticism, judgment, concern for time and a sense of separateness.

Jill2019

Re: Is the ego a necessary process of adulthood and maturity

Post by Jill2019 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:00 pm

I have this same question. If I understand him, the ego and painbody are almost separate entities that we are not supposed to identify with and that we can transcend as spiritual beings, were they an accident or do they serve a purpose?
Last edited by Jill2019 on Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:17 pm

Jill2019 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:00 pm
If I understand him, the ego and painbodied are almost separate entities that we are not supposed to identify with and that we can transcend as spiritual beings, were they an accident or do they serve a purpose?
Here's my take: They serve an important purpose in the evolution of consciousness in the Larger Reality. The painbody is an element of the ego. So what is ego? Ego is the identification with thought and/or beliefs about self as a human being. Add all the identifiers we hold about our self together and we create an identity of thought structures that we call 'me'. It is a separating factor from the larger conscious reality. The painbody grows within that identification as we identify with the pain that we feel in life. One can have an ego identification without a painbody - or at least a minor one - but the reverse is not possible.

The purpose of the ego goes to our Greater Beingness. It offers a valuable contrast through seeing only a limited perspective of conditions and events that our unfold in our lives. For example, if there was only one emotion, say that of joy, how would one know it was joy. There would be no experience to compare it to if that was all there was. But experiencing pain and suffering for a time (or a lifetime), brings clarity to joy that would not otherwise exist.

Of course this is a simplified version of a much larger understanding. Much of that is beyond our human perception. For those of us seeking a larger understanding, letting go of the judgment that causes us pain, can go a long way toward awakening out of so much of our ego identification. Understanding our emotions, and the messages they offer, are our path to freedom from our self created painbodies.

WW

Jill2019

Post by Jill2019 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:26 am

Thank you WW! Are you saying that we need to have an ego (and to some extent a painbody) in order to have a life experience, but that we have become too identified with it? So then the goal is not to get rid of it completely, but to see it for what it is so that it can be a part, but not all, of who we are?

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:43 am

Jill, I tend to look at such existential questions from the perspective of a larger reality - as best I can perceive such perspective. So yes, I see it as a designed element in the human experience. Consider how ubiquitous the ego is. That said, it is also of great benefit to see it for what it is.

It's difficult, if not near impossible, to live in this world without a context of ego - that is a conditioned sense of identification with thought and a separation from the other egos/humans in this world. The nature of that ego however, can be brought into alignment with our higher nature through meditation and higher consciousness studies and exploration, to live a more pain free and enjoyable life. Contrast will still be there, but we can be less susceptible to its painful potential.
Jill2019 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:26 am
So then the goal is not to get rid of it completely, but to see it for what it is so that it can be a part, but not all, of who we are?
I doubt one could get rid of it completely, but we can manage it in a way that makes it work for us as intended without so much unnecessary pain. And yes, seeing the ego's distinct qualities apart from our True Nature as conscious beings is worthwhile indeed.

WW

Jill2019

Post by Jill2019 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:16 am

Makes sense. Thanks for the thoughtful responses!

jtightlips21

Post by jtightlips21 » Mon May 13, 2019 2:48 am

I have begun to wonder if the ego is used to suppress the painbody

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Mon May 13, 2019 4:08 am

jtightlips21 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 2:48 am
I have begun to wonder if the ego is used to suppress the painbody
How so?