Talking About the Future in Conversations? Excessive Thinking After Movies/Social media

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
liyat21

Talking About the Future in Conversations? Excessive Thinking After Movies/Social media

Post by liyat21 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:09 pm

Hi everyone!

I’m new to this website and joined after finishing the power of now.

I’m at Univeristy and suffer with anxiety. Reading the power of now has really opened up a new world and I’m grateful I’ve found it. I do have questions though, firstly, in conversations with friends is it best to stop talking about the past/future? I know I can’t change what others say, but should I be careful of my responses not to respond with a story about the past or future?

Secondly, I look forward to reaching enlightenment, but I worry it will send me into a sort of ‘depressed’ state. In student accomodation it can be noisy, neighbours can be annoying or I don’t enjoy my part time job that much. With problems like these, am I going to lose my motivation to change my life situation, as an enlightened person? I also worry I won’t be studying so well for exams. I can’t help but question will I lose my identity with consiousness? Will I stop taking pride in my clothing or putting make up on now and then?

Finally, and maybe a slightly trickier question. I find movies and sometimes social media can be a real trigger for my excessive thinking. Thinking about how I want the life they have and once it starts it lasts for about a week, this obsessive thinking of what happened in the film (La la land recently triggered this). It took about a week to come back to the present moment.

Sometimes when I’m eating or studying I also find I need to listen to music to keep my mind busy. I assume this will dissipate further into enlightenment but if anyone has any advice on this that would be appreciated! [*]

Thank you in advance, I look forward to becoming more familiar with some of you and helping others :)

Liyat21

Webwanderer

Re: Talking About the Future in Conversations? Excessive Thinking After Movies/Social media

Post by Webwanderer » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:50 am

Welcome to the forum liyat21.
liyat21 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:09 pm
in conversations with friends is it best to stop talking about the past/future? I know I can’t change what others say, but should I be careful of my responses not to respond with a story about the past or future?
I recommend you avoid thinking in terms of 'shoulds'. A better course is to do what feels best in any circumstance and then learn what you can from the experience. Life here is primarily about experience. We can tell each other the best way to do this or that, but real learning (and growth) comes through experience. The rest is mostly concepts we adopt as our thought constructed perception of reality.
Secondly, I look forward to reaching enlightenment,...
Enlightenment is more a movement toward greater understanding than it is a state of being - at least in human terms. Looking forward to 'reaching' enlightenment will likely result in a lot of frustration. Enjoy whatever greater clarity that comes from insight through alignment with your true nature. It will save you a lot of aggravation. For the most part, enlightenment is a gradual process of ever greater clarity of being. There can be however, occasional moments of life changing insight along the way.
I also worry I won’t be studying so well for exams. I can’t help but question will I lose my identity with consciousness? Will I stop taking pride in my clothing or putting make up on now and then?
None of this need be the case. Enjoy life. Explore whatever comes your way, whether it peaks your attention or is just the stuff of the day. Sometimes the most mundane of tasks hold hidden gems. You may miss them however, if you are not paying attention - that is living consciously in the moment.

Awakening is not about withdrawal from the stuff of life. It's about living life from an aware context. Aware of what? Aware that you are not your thoughts. You are not what you 'think' you are. Work toward getting a sense of your true nature beyond thoughts. What does it 'feel' like to be you? Thought, the basis of ego, is an element of consciousness, but it is not consciousness itself. Understand this and you'll thrive in life.
Finally, and maybe a slightly trickier question. I find movies and sometimes social media can be a real trigger for my excessive thinking. Thinking about how I want the life they have and once it starts it lasts for about a week, this obsessive thinking of what happened in the film (La la land recently triggered this). It took about a week to come back to the present moment.
Your own life, no matter what you think of it, is more valuable to you than anything you could wish for in a movie. Movies are just another type of experience to challenge our perspective. They are not good or bad. They bring experience to consider. Are you better for the experience, or is it a distraction that you are better off without. As always, you get to decide. But that is the nature of all of our life. Experience and the choice of what it means to us. That meaning that we apply will influence future experience as it becomes an element of our conscious perspective - and often our ego.

Be patient, and make having fun a high priority. Enjoy your job, your career, your friends, and your own growth in consciousness. It's all about the experience. Experience after all, is about the only thing we take with us when this human life runs its course.

WW