How do I get past emotional dependence on parents

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
jtightlips21

How do I get past emotional dependence on parents

Post by jtightlips21 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:25 pm

First off, I have a good relationship with my parents, and I have functional independence. I still find I care what my parents think, get offended if they disagree with me, and still feel guilt if I do something without them. I know for sure that this is not my parents, and all me. I find myself bothered by anything that resembles the parental archetype, such as the hierarchy of the senex to manage the unruly passions of the Puer Aeternus, strangers or impersonal authorities or peers acting like parents, authority in general or disapproval. I also still find myself ruminating about times where my parents parented in ways I disagreed with, or acted strict. I did some observation, and found that I still have a tied identity to my parents.

I remember this happened before where I got psychologically dependent on social groups, and was quite obsessive. This happened with both getting into Fundamentalist religion and college. I remember what happened, when I stopped believing the Fundamentalist doctrines, and a few months later, distanced myself from school and dropped some classes, as I was taking too many.