Question about practicing presence

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Manuel

Question about practicing presence

Post by Manuel » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:22 pm

Hello!

I have been reading ET for a while now and i would like to put his teaching into practice. I would like to stay present, but for now im feeling a lot of uneasiness. In this moments i would prefer to be in the future... Do you have any advice for dealing with it?

Other moment in which i would like to stay present is while doing household. I dont know how to describe this feeling best, but i think i could call it resistance. I repeat myself "I dont like this, this is so boring".

Thank you!

Dcdc

Re: Question about practicing presence

Post by Dcdc » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:01 pm

Manuel wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:22 pm
Hello!

I have been reading ET for a while now and i would like to put his teaching into practice. I would like to stay present, but for now im feeling a lot of uneasiness. In this moments i would prefer to be in the future... Do you have any advice for dealing with it?

Other moment in which i would like to stay present is while doing household. I dont know how to describe this feeling best, but i think i could call it resistance. I repeat myself "I dont like this, this is so boring".

Thank you!
Hello! :- )

I'd suggest that you follow your breathing during all day. Breathing in, breathing out; breathing in, breathing out. Don't try to control your breathing, just follow it: breathing in, breathing out, breathing in, breathing out. Did you forget that you were following you breathing? It's not a problem, just bring you self to the breathing again: breathing in, breathing out...

At the same time, try to do what you are doing in every moment with more presence, making your movements with awareness. Feel your body. If you are following your breathing and/or feeling your body and some sound caught your attention, anchor yourself into that sound: listen to it without judging, without mentally labeling it. Just listen to it. Then, maybe you'll realize that you can sense your only heart. Feel it. Maybe you'll be able to sense your feet touching the ground. Feel it. Then, make your movements with presence, be aware of every movement. When you look to something, be sure that you are really looking at it without blurry vision. Look to a tree, to an animal, to the sky. Return to your breathing: breathing in, breathing out.

Forgot that you were doing it? Not a problem: return to your breathing again.

That way, you can practice "surfing" on the present moment. Rest your attention on the present moment every single moment you can.

Domestic tasks are great to practice. When you are doing the dishes, be present and aware in every moment. Do the dishes with awareness. If you are sweeping the floor, be present while sweeping, hear the sounds, feel the touches, accompany your breathing. Do everything with awareness.

With time and practice, you'll be able to drop and let go even the anchors. Then, you'll realize that the gap/space between thoughts is growing more and more. You'll be open to the oneness that is all the universe.

Oh, and I'd also suggest that you do formal meditation sessions.

Manuel

Post by Manuel » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:48 pm

Hello Dcdc,
Thank you very much for your answer! And sry if I answered a bit late. I tried to be present while washing the dishes or sweeping the floor. Its not that easy but I have a feeling it has a "healing" effect. I havent tried that many the breathing excercices. I meditate and pray to God each day, so i havent found time to put the breathing exercices to practice. But i want to practice them too. Maybe in the next months

thank you!

Loffe

Post by Loffe » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:03 am

You don't need a special time to be in presence. Try to observe your breathing and inner body energy field while you do something like washing dishes. Usually, we are not only doing but at the same time thinking, replace thinking with inner body awareness or you can observe every move, every sound fully. For example when washing dishes watch how water splashes, how light plays with water, how running water sounds, how your hands are moving, a temperature of water. Now try to feel that all together, then move attention back to inner body and breathing, alternate. Same goes when you walk, commute to work, especially when you need to wait for something - use this time to breathe and feel inner body. Feel bored - straight to inner body awareness. Can't sleep - you know what to do :D

Manuel

Post by Manuel » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:26 pm

Thank you!!