Consciousness

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
SamiT

Consciousness

Post by SamiT » Tue May 07, 2019 6:17 pm

Hey everyone
I have another question. In our 12 step fellowship as alcoholics and addicts we have to come to believe in a power greater than ourselves that can restore us to sanity and we have to turn our will and our lives over to that power in order to enable us to have any sort of life free of alcoholism/addiction.

Our self will run riot and trying to suppress and numb ourselves (the ego) is what runs our lives and causes us to drink/use substances because we can’t stand the way we are feeling.

My question is....can the consciousness that we are guide and run our lives so to speak?

Sorry if it’s a dumb question but I am still at the beginning of. T journey.

SamiT

Re: Consciousness

Post by SamiT » Wed May 08, 2019 11:44 am

Anybody?

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Wed May 08, 2019 2:09 pm

SamiT wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:17 pm
My question is....can the consciousness that we are guide and run our lives so to speak?
Here's my take on your very good question: Guide yes. Run not so much. It (the consciousness that we are) can, but that's not necessarily the point of this human experience. If the Larger Consciousness, that is our True Nature, was only interested in creating a wonderful experience, it could do that without the limitations of being human. Our consciousness here in this form is but a fraction, or extension, of our True Nature.

The Larger Reality from which we come is itself a wonderful experience. So why choose to have a human experience? The point in choosing this is more for the exploration of the very human limitations that challenge us and the possibilities they offer. In other words, what happens when we don't have all the answers and must figure them out as we go? What do the varied conditions we live in and go through teach us about the nature of life, and how do we manage them?

In your case, for example, after finding your way into addictive behavior, your search for freedom led you to a 12-step program, and to this forum. I'm guessing there are other potential sources of help that you've considered. This genuine search for answers is how we grow and how consciousness evolves. Of course, experience of all kinds is fuel for evolution, whether there is a conscious consideration of it while in this form or not.

None of this is to say that Higher consciousness is not available to help us. It most certainly is. That is what recognition and alignment through 12-step programs and other consciousness enhancing practices is all about - developing a working familiarity with our Greater Nature to give us guidance. Give yourself some credit for the willingness to take on the challenges that face you and the wisdom to seek help. Continue working to align yourself with your Higher Consciousness. Get mentally quiet and feel 'what' you are - frequently every day. Relax into it. Let it expand into your awareness.

It takes a little time and dedication, but breakthroughs will come and familiarity will grow. Little by little at first. But take those little gains and express them in your daily life. Learn to laugh with life and appreciate the small things in life often. Lend a hand to others and see how that feels. Helping others is enhances the flow of Spirit through us. Those are all connections to your own essence as an eternal being. There lies the guidance you seek.

WW

SamiT

Post by SamiT » Wed May 08, 2019 5:51 pm

Thanks for your response.

The only other help I sought was doctors and therapists and then I got led to 12 step fellowship and then I found Eckhart.

It seems that the Ego is the source of all my problems from addiction to anxiety. The false sense of self that I thought was me all my life.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Wed May 08, 2019 7:32 pm

In order to get a better sense of the Larger Reality that I frequently mention, I encourage you to make a long term, in-depth, study of the near death experience (NDE) phenomena. With the efficiency of modern medicine, millions of people have now had them. There is no mistaken the impact such experience has had on peoples lives - both those who have had them, and those who genuinely study them.

There is a whole section devoted to it in this forum. There are tons more available resources to anyone who has an interest. I'll gladly point you in some insightful directions it you wish. The feeling sense of this Greater Reality, where our True Nature and Consciousness resides, is an immeasurable help in seeing the life we live with greater clarity.

WW

SamiT

Post by SamiT » Wed May 08, 2019 9:15 pm

Thanks WW.

Yes I would be grateful if you could point me in the right direction please.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Wed May 08, 2019 10:23 pm

Here's some links to people and sites that I have found credible and useful. Some are videos of experiencers, some are links to researcher interviews, and some are lists of written reports of particularly clear experiences. There are many, many, more, but you can easily expand your list on your own or check back with me for more. Others on this forum may add to this list as this is but a fragment of many excellent opportunities to explore our greater life and being. Enjoy and feel free to continue our dialog if you have things you would like to discuss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbkgj5J91hE&t=13s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78SkTuk8Zd4&t=266s

https://www.near-death.com/experiences/exceptional.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhcJNJbRJ6U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVz6Zv3_IWk

SamiT

Post by SamiT » Wed May 08, 2019 10:45 pm

Thanks WW.

I will come back with any questions.

SamiT

Post by SamiT » Thu May 09, 2019 10:40 pm

Hi

I have watched the video of the neurosurgeon Eben Alexandar which I enjoyed. I liked the points he said on prayer.

My question is this, a few years ago I collapsed (my own fault I drank too much) and was unconscious seizures etc. My question is this, if awareness is always there without thought etc as the one who sees, what happened to awareness when I was unconscious?

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Thu May 09, 2019 11:42 pm

SamiT wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:40 pm
My question is this, if awareness is always there without thought etc as the one who sees, what happened to awareness when I was unconscious?
My take is that awareness is always present, even if it's simply awareness of the experience of unconsciousness. Just as dreams quickly fade for most of us upon awakening, some not remembered at all, the unconsciousness you had is more a case of unremembered experience than lack of awareness.

As a boy, I was knocked unconscious from a fall. Spent a week in the hospital with a severe concussion. Where was awareness during the time I was out. I can't say. I have no clear memory of it. As I look back however, I sense that I became more curious in the years after that. Maybe even leading me to explore the deeper nature of life. As I have probed the experience since, I have gained an inclination that awareness was present during the time I was 'out', and maybe had more effect than I knew for many years afterwards.

WW

Alicia

Post by Alicia » Fri May 10, 2019 1:58 pm

Although not completely related, if you've ever had an experience of 'waking up' within a nightly dream (a lucid dream) and realising you are dreaming and able to control the dream in real time, you can see that it's an example of how we become aware of awareness itself, even while supposedly asleep. I also think that awareness is always present, but for one reason or other we are not always aware of it (such as when we are stuck in the ego mind during waking life). It's the same process while asleep. In fact, lucid dreaming is a wonderful way of evolving our consciousness in waking life.

SamiT

Post by SamiT » Fri May 10, 2019 8:12 pm

The pull of my ego is extremely strong I am really struggling to stay present and watch the fearful thoughts it drags me along like a wild river.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Fri May 10, 2019 8:57 pm

SamiT wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:12 pm
The pull of my ego is extremely strong I am really struggling to stay present and watch the fearful thoughts it drags me along like a wild river.
I suggest you stop the struggle. It's likely working against you. If you are 'struggling', you're likely seeing failure in consistently being drawn back into the ego's perspective. That's just more ego fighting with ego. You can't possibly stay clear and present all the time. Especially early on in your refocusing. There's no need to create a litmus test for success or failure.

Here's the better way to see it - simply return to presence as best you can whenever it occurs to you. Then be happy your recognition. Feel a sense of appreciation about it. Look to your victories as accumulating value and be indifferent to sliding back to ego. It happens, so what. Consider setting triggers - like whenever you hear a sharp noise, use it as a reminder to return to presence. Pick a couple of your own. Take frequent moments throughout your day to rest in clear awareness. A couple of deep breaths and relax into being.

This takes practice over time, but you'll soon see the benefits. The goal is to attain some clear familiarity with the clear presence state of mind. There are few people in this world that are always present. It's not necessary. The idea is to have it as an ever ready resource to which you can call on when you recognize the ego taking flight with a thought stream. Those thought streams are common. Learn to recognize them and develop the skill to step out of them and back to the clarity of presence.

WW

SamiT

Post by SamiT » Fri May 10, 2019 10:32 pm

I think the only reason I’m struggling is because I act out believing my egos thoughts.

For example when I’m caught up completely in ego and my mind is telling my I’m going to die or have a heart attack and I act on those thoughts so I go to the hospital. It’s the actions that follows the thoughts that are ruining my life.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Fri May 10, 2019 11:03 pm

What are you thoughts about dying? What concerns you about it? Is it death that concerns you, or is it dying? There is a distinct difference. Go into detail.

WW