What about rocks and trees?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
SalomeDH

What about rocks and trees?

Post by SalomeDH » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:55 pm

I used to call myself a rationalist/agnostic- then I discovered how very rational it is that the universe is alive and Is God, so to speak (life can't spring forth from nothingness). I've always welcomed truth wherever I could find it, be it Jesus, Oprah, or a fortune cookie. But after a few semi-awakening experiences, I can really see where unity with the universe ties everything together. Having said that, I've come across some places where ET talks about there being a purpose that the universe wants for me and that I'm meant to manifest something for the universe. Up to that point, in my opinion, he has been very consistent in his take on every question- I've seen people try to shoot holes in his teaching and he doesn't waiver or make mistakes in logic. But, as a skeptic since 5 years old, I'm having trouble with that teaching. Like, when he became enlightened did he just 'know' that? And to my main question, what then is the purpose of the rocks and trees? (Ha ha- like I actually worry about them being stuck there for so long) I think that's getting close to the "humans are special" argument that made religion not make sense to me in the first place. Karma also seems off the table for same reason. Not that I'd throw the baby out with the bathwater, but could someone please explain?

smiileyjen101

Re: What about rocks and trees?

Post by smiileyjen101 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:29 am

SalomeDH said:Having said that, I've come across some places where ET talks about there being a purpose that the universe wants for me and that I'm meant to manifest something for the universe.
It is possible the energies in your interpretation - what you associate those words to has overlaid your understanding of them. Some interpret it as a command, to take up responsibilities, rather than an invitation to be conscious of opportunities to act / contribute positively with all your response ability.

For me, (also a somewhat discerning - open-minded sceptic) I interpret it as all it really wants is for all things to grow in consciousness and prosper in experience, so that it might know all the myriads of combinations of growth and consciousness.

There is no 'means to an end', the choice, each and every time opportunities arise, is totally yours, and realistically based on 'awareness, capacity, and willingness'. One without awareness of the opportunities arising will not employ any of their capacity or willingness to go with the (life)flow within opportunities. Similarly, for one without capacity, willingness is mute.

Rather, combine this with ET's explanation of conscious living/states, of acceptance - for this moment this is what is required of me, enjoyment - pouring your awareness, capacity and willingness into... whatever, and enthusiasm - being aware that you are pouring your awareness, capacity and willingness into 'being' and 'doing' whatever. He calls this being like an arrow, flying towards a target while simultaneously being aware of moments of acceptance, and enjoyment. An arrow that freezes in fear, or makes enemy, obstacle or means to an end of a person, thing, or situation, falls to the ground, because one cannot 'fly' while resisting the energies that carry one forward.
But, as a skeptic since 5 years old, I'm having trouble with that teaching. Like, when he became enlightened did he just 'know' that? And to my main question, what then is the purpose of the rocks and trees? (Ha ha- like I actually worry about them being stuck there for so long
Firstly, check your understanding of skeptic - sceptic - is merely one who knows they do not know everything, and is discerning in that which they take as 'truth'. They test and discern with an open-mind. (whereas some hold the thing of being a definite not believer no matter what facts or experiences are presented, which is not open-minded, or scientific at all).

When ET woke up and realised that there was more to life than the worries his mind created of it, and that some of the worries were not 'real', I guess then one would have to say... oh, this is different. :wink:

When you realise that the material /elements that makes up rocks and trees, is as precious and often the same in different combinations, as makes up anything else, including humans, then the human pride can fall away.

But then by doing this, by removing the false pride of false separation, one can also then look at fellow human beings, and other animals and things with other elemental combinations, and realise how truly unique, and precious it all is.

Life, all life, is just energy in motion in different combinations of elements, within physical restrictions.
Ha ha- like I actually worry about them being stuck there for so long
This is cute, and honest. But this is only in comparison to your interpretation of your capacity. Rocks are elements combined in a way that the energy within and around and of influence on them is slower in vibration. Trees in particular have a wide range of vibrational experience and connection with many other life forms. Neither need your pity :wink:

This would be a dead planet without either of them, so for me, I give great thanks for the combined opportunities that they provide.
Karma also seems off the table for same reason.
the teachings that have become 'karma', are also susceptible to the interpretations based on awareness, capacity and willingness - different for all of us in each moment/opportunity depending on how strong our ego (sense of individuality) is.
Simply, and again using ET's thing that if one is making an enemy, obstacle, means to an end of a person, thing or situation, that is ego in control and if you look around you will see the suffering (unnecessary, created pain) that it is causing.
So what is sometimes espoused of karma in ego, (they'll get theirs etc.) is from a blindness, not from awareness. This acts from a human-special ego as if the universe individually keeps count, favouring some and punishing others, it doesn't, humans are the only species that structure societies based on reward and punishment as if they control them.

But, if you are in a state of acceptance, enjoyment, enthusiasm you will understand that folks act within their own momentary awareness, capacity, willingness; and this will have natural unfolding consequences. But, it's not personal, it just 'is'. Some will be aware and willing and able to mitigate suffering, others will wallow in it, as either hero, villian or victim. None of which are really who any of us are. (or for that matter, neither is anything in nature, e.g. some folks even make enemy of the weather patterns that are a natural flow of unfolding consequence).

The only thing that need or can concern you is - are you awake?

I love your queries by the way, you're stretching yourself in positive enquiry.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com

SalomeDH

Post by SalomeDH » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:36 pm

Wow! Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to explain. When you put it that way - everything operating on its own level and karma as a natural effect/consequence it makes sense to me. And I'm not sure but I think I'm understanding you- that 'manifestation' could also mean growing in the natural way I would grow as a human being without all the false stuff I've made up for myself.
There is no 'means to an end', the choice, each and every time opportunities arise, is totally yours, and realistically based on 'awareness, capacity, and willingness'. One without awareness of the opportunities arising will not employ any of their capacity or willingness to go with the (life)flow within opportunities.

This advice was interesting in that I just listened this morning to a podcast that featured Michael Singer - a major point he was making was that after observing the voice in our head for a while, we can begin to choose things our ego wouldn't necessarily go for. Maybe the universe is indeed trying to "tell me something" :wink:

Again, I'm so grateful to you and all those on this forum that are more advanced and take the time to stop and help others who aren't as far along. It really means a lot and is so helpful!

SalomeDH

Post by SalomeDH » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:52 pm

I know this is an old question and answer, but I just wanted to say that I've been watching "Inner Worlds/Outer Worlds" via YouTube. Awesome video series- I'm on part 4 right now, and I can see it's everything that Smiileyjen and others have talked about with just the nature of the world and being. I would say it's very enlightening :). Maybe this series has been mentioned elsewhere on the board, but here is a link anyway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXuTt7c3Jkg

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:43 am

Thanks for sharing that video I will finish watching it later.

At the very beginning of it, the tiny percentage of our universe that is matter that is somewhat known to us, (4%), compared to and along with, the higher percent and growing dark matter and dark energy, is core in understanding how precious each molecule is.
While simultaneously remembering that 96 percent is not in a form that we can readily describe or understand while in form (matter, physical).

For me, through personal experience, I love to see depictions like the animation that shows the glorious, intricate, above as below, within as with out, connections with the universe that all experiences arise within... and, flow out of freely, naturally and eternally.
I'm no scientist but maybe that is why the universe is expanding - we and everything are creating new 'neural ' pathways in and by cause/effect

When and if folks only thought, imagined, believed and therefore acted in one way, the neural path grows thicker, but by widening our awareness they multiply and expand fields of awareness.

It's the field of awareness that we all play in and co-create, with degrees of awareness that are either personal and narrowed, or free ranging in the 'all'.

It's totally up to us what we contribute - feed on and feed into.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com