Methods for deepening practice

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
joe

Methods for deepening practice

Post by joe » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:04 am

Looking for ways to deepen my spiritual practice. How do you manage to consistently come back to the breath, or any other "gateway to the now" as Tolle puts it? I find two challenges. 1. My head or my emotions don't want to stop and allow presence so they push it off until later. 2. I have a hard time keeping two things going at once, i.e. staying with my breath and thinking about a problem or communicating with someone. I want to find a practical way of staying present for more and more of the day to build those neural pathways and practice awareness on a deeper level. What methods are there for moving through the ego rather than being stopped by it?

Loffe

Re: Methods for deepening practice

Post by Loffe » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:23 am

Do inner body meditation every night and morning.
Write down a list of things that are making you irritated, sad. Maybe even a list of what makes you are happy?
Use this list as a trigger for reminding to go into presence. Use inner body awareness.
Hold some of the attention in the body and don't let all of it to focus on outside world.

When the egoic mind is dominating your life then inner body awareness is a really powerful tool, it stops mind easily. Study, explore and become master of this skill.

kiki

Post by kiki » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:03 pm

I have a hard time keeping two things going at once, i.e. staying with my breath and thinking about a problem or communicating with someone.
Don't overcomplicate things - trying to stay with the breath while thinking about a problem or communicating with someone is just that. When thinking is necessary then let the mind do its work to accomplish the task. Beforehand, however, let your attention simply rest on the inner body or sense of presence for a while. Doing that will help with inspiration flowering in the mind.

While communicating with others shift away from focusing on the breath to being totally open to what the other is saying - just listen with full attention rather than getting caught up with preparing to respond. Being open and innocent in listening this way shows respect for the speaker and prepares one's mind for deeper access to a loving and appropriate response that comes from the heart rather than from the mind.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

joe

Post by joe » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:17 am

So just shift attention from breath to listening or doing, it's all of the same "presence" value and therefore continuous and consistent?

turiya

Post by turiya » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:21 pm

joe wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:17 am
So just shift attention from breath to listening or doing, it's all of the same "presence" value and therefore continuous and consistent?
See yourself as that Presence which is ever-present. :D

Here's a lovely Q & A session on Rupert Spira's website that might interest you:

https://non-duality.rupertspira.com/rea ... _awareness

I especially liked when he wrote the following:

"Who is the ‘you’ that could be anchored in these practises or not? You are Aware Presence. You do not have to anchor yourself there. You are already that and cannot be anything else. Just see that. You are safe there.

You are giving yourself an impossible task and then getting frustrated when you discover it is impossible. I don’t blame you!

Be kind with yourself. This is not about discipline, effort or practise. It is about interest, love and understanding.

See clearly what you are and be that knowingly. And allow whatever appears to you, including your own feelings and reactions, to take their full shape within you. Act on them if necessary. Otherwise let them flow by." -Rupert Spira
“We ourselves are not an illusory part of Reality; rather are we Reality itself illusorily conceived.” - Wei Wu Wei

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:20 am

Be kind with yourself. This is not about discipline, effort or practice. It is about interest, love and understanding.
Really like this line. Nice to contemplate on Christmas Day.

WW

Admiral Akmir

Post by Admiral Akmir » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:42 pm

This comes from Adyashanti's free e-book; "The Way of Liberation";
To clarify your aspiration means knowing exactly what it is that
your spiritual life aspires to, not as a future goal but in each moment. In other words, what do you value most in your life—not
in the sense of moral values, but in the sense of what is most important to you. Contemplate this question. Do not assume that
you know what your highest aspiration is, or even what is most
important to you. Dig deep within, contemplate, and meditate
on what the spiritual quest is about for you; don’t let anyone else
define your aspiration for you. Look within until you find, with
complete clarity, what you aspire to

Te importance of this first Foundation cannot be overemphasized, because life unfolds along the lines of what you
value most. Very few people have Truth or Reality as deep values. They may think that they value Truth, but their actions do
not bear this out. Generally, most people have competing and
conflicting values, which manifest as both internal and external
conflict. So just because you think something is your deepest
value does not mean that it actually is. By deeply contemplating
and clarifying what you value and aspire to, you become more
unified, clear, and certain of your direction
It may be helpful to contemplate this. In fact, I would read his entire book, it can be downloaded for free from his website. It may help to guide in you in answering your questions.