Employment

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
ROK

Employment

Post by ROK » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:32 pm

Hello everyone,

I am new to the group, but have a burning question. My thoughts are filled with anxiety about my identity when my children grow old. I have three young kids, and while my job does not "fulfill" me at a deep level, I am home for dinner. I have always had this desire to be in the film industry, so I thought I would make the transition now as my youngest is 5.

I tried it out on the weekends to see if I would like it for three months. The hours were horrible, the pay was non-existent, i liked being hands on, (unlike my desk/paper pushing job)

I have a comfy job, I get paid alot of money. I have 56 vacation days this year, full pension when i retire. the subject matter is also somewhat interesting - special education for children with disabilities.

The mental back and forth is exhausting.

Is this change driven by my ego to be a part of something "cool"
Should I stay with my current job, which will allow me to have a life outside of work, I could learn how to play guitar, join a choir, etc. In other words, should i let go of an identity related to work.
AM I hesitant to change my career because Im scared of change.

I have seen countless career coaches. it may sound silly, but this issue causes me a lot of distress.

smiileyjen101

Re: Employment

Post by smiileyjen101 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:26 am

aahh societal realities ;) what a pain they are.
Is this change driven by my ego to be a part of something "cool"
Should I stay with my current job, which will allow me to have a life outside of work, I could learn how to play guitar, join a choir, etc. In other words, should i let go of an identity related to work.
AM I hesitant to change my career because I'm scared of change.
Only you can answer these questions ROK - what does your heart say after asking them?
I have a comfy job, I get paid a lot of money. I have 56 vacation days this year, full pension when i retire. the subject matter is also somewhat interesting - special education for children with disabilities.
Wherever you go, there you are - in A New Earth ET discusses the three modalities of being - maybe you're limiting yourself to the first when it comes to your job - acceptance - for this moment, this is what is required of me.

That allows a peaceful life.
If you're feeling the desire for more creativity and enthusiasm in your life - work is a valuable opportunity to show up more fully. The second modality is enjoyment - that is, pouring your joy, your stifled creativity into whatever it is that you are doing.

You don't need any particular job or job tagline to do this (and it may be what is calling to you in the creative industries) - pour joy into washing the dishes and see how fun and creative and fulfilling it is. Try it with every little thing you are doing. This is where 'deep fulfilment' is experienced in the every day.

The third is maybe where your arrow is wobbling a little - it's enthusiasm - when we choose a direction and fly as if the arrow with acceptance in the moments and while pouring our joy into ... what we are aiming towards.

Is there anything in your current position you could do to make it more 'hands on'? It might only take acceptance, pouring your joy, and enthusiasm.

Your identity when your children grow old.... will be the person they have known in the moments. The beauty is that you get to choose what that is in every moment.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen