Going Through the GateWays

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Going Through the GateWays

Postby barbarasher » Wed May 25, 2005 9:10 pm

Wow! My husband just said something so wonderful.

He said that I seems to be "cruising" lately. After asking what he meant, he explained that he can see on my face that even though I am very busy, I seem to be handling it better. I asked "work" or "life", and he said both! Yeah!

A year and a half ago I went through the three courses of Landmark Forum and initially they asked each person to declare a goal that would be measurable. One of my main goal was to look happier so that it would be noticeable on my face. It has been a long time since then, and a fiend may have mentioned it.

But this is the first time my husband did.

The subject came up because I was telling him how I am starting to feel stressed again about work.

Eckhart suggests three gateways, stillness, the inner body and acceptance.

Do you have advice on how to actually go through the gateway. He says, that either you do or you don't, you can't try. But please advice anyway.
barbarasher

Postby heidi » Wed May 25, 2005 9:56 pm

Hi Barbara :)
Try a little space consciousness throughout your day. Notice the distance between steps you take or breaths you take or noises you hear or things you observe. I recall Tolle talking about looking at a flower or tree or rock and knowing its isness - the isness of yourself is the isness of the natural world - since, when we remove all the mindmade stuff, that's exactly what we are!

I like skywatching :)
HTH-H
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby quitesane » Thu May 26, 2005 5:14 am

"Going through a gateway" is metaphorical. Trying to go through one is problematic. It's like trying to stop thinking. The trying or effort itself becomes a hinderance.

The metaphor points to entering your natural state, prior to association with form. There is a natural movement toward this state. Your participation is not required - merely your loving presence.
Patrick

"Whatever works." - Tolle
quitesane

Postby Mal2 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:57 am

I find that concentrating on the feeling in my hands is the most effective gateway to the now.

I also use sense perception, like looking at an object in conciousness without labeling it but I guess this would be difficult to do unless you have already developed some presence.

Try first with the hands or one hand, close your eyes when doing so and feel the aliveness in this part of your body.
Mal2

Postby lakeswimr » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:30 pm

I like ET's Gateways to Now CD. Usually I just pay attention to my inner body and that does it. When I go outside and look at nature that does it. When I become aware that I'm unconscious that often helps a lot.

I also think Byron Katie's Inquiry method works as well. I think it is the same Gateway as Gateway of Acceptance or similar at least.

It isn't that you 'try' but there are things you can do. I think just realizing oneself to be not aware of presence is quite powerful and transformative.

OK--I just reread your post. If I were going to go through the inner body gateway I would put my attention on my innner body. If my thoughts were spinning out of control and this wasn't working I might do something like go out in nature or look at a tree or work in our garden or something in order to trick my mind off. :) I also might just accept that my mind is spinning out of control and watch it. This would help get me in 'gateway of acceptance.' Gateway of stillness I find I enter when I'm doing simple things like the dishes or working in the garden, etc. I can see how all the gateways are linked. If you have a very painful situation you might try Byron Katie's Inquiry method (described in her two books.) This would help with feeling the pain body, observing the pain body and accepting what is.

I think the Gateways CD is powerful. Do you have it?

It is great that you are able to stay happy when busy. :)
lakeswimr

Postby barbarasher » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:53 pm

Yes, I have it and have listened to it many times while driving.

I like the one best about listening to silence. When he rings that bell and you listen and listen to the sound as it becomes weaker and weaker and then there is absolute silence.

It focuses me. Obviously, when I am driving there is not absolute silence.

But the ability to listen to it while there isn't silence and hear the silence and the space between the sounds is the gateway to presence for me.
barbarasher

Postby lakeswimr » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:06 pm

I recommend trying it when you have a time you won't be disturbed and can really close your eyes (when you *aren't driving, lol). It can help a person get really deeply present.
lakeswimr

Return to Questions