Internal Concert

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Internal Concert

Postby Bazhorn » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:19 pm

Hi all -
I'm a professional classical musician, and, as such, am exposed to music for hours every day - now, this continues in my mind (like that 'tune' you just can't get rid of) for most of the day which does hamper the 'prescence'. Any tips and suggestions?
Thanks in advance, B
Bazhorn

Postby Triple T » Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:21 am

Hi Bazhorn and Welcome :!:

I am curious whether the noise of the music in your head is met by resistance or not. My experience is that when I am aware of the 'noise' whether it is self-talk, or a tune, if I can say to myself - "I am experiencing self-talk, or mental noise, or music in my head" and then say OK to it. It seems to lessen in intensity.
A very helpful tool that I have learned from "The Flowering of Human Consciousness" CD is an exercise where you close your eyes and ask your mind "Where is my right hand?"
You begin to feel the 'aliveness' as Eckhart puts it in your hand and it takes energy away from your mind and in to your body.
I can actually feel the sizzle and heat draining from my head ( it sounds funny but its true :lol: )and the noise I am experiencing fades very nicely.
Try it and see if it helps. :)
Triple T

Re: Internal Concert

Postby Sandy » Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:29 am

Bazhorn wrote:Hi all -
I'm a professional classical musician, and, as such, am exposed to music for hours every day - now, this continues in my mind (like that 'tune' you just can't get rid of) for most of the day which does hamper the 'prescence'. Any tips and suggestions?
Thanks in advance, B

Hi Baz, My guess is that Eckhart would say to "listen to the silence" or stillness even underneath that repetitious internal music. There have been for me some things lately like a resurgence of memories of long ago that every few days have been highly interfering with Presence. Listening to a Eckhart CD this week, I heard him say when something is persistent, another way to deal with it is not to resist it but rather to fully allow it. That sounds like a contradiction, but contrary to what I might have expected, the intrusions became less intrusive when not opposed. Sandy
Sandy

Postby summer » Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:29 am

Hi Bazhorn, and welcome :)
What an interesting question you ask?

Many of us hear thoughts all day long, which can get very repetitious and quite boring. And you hear music all day long.

I must admit that sounds quite refreshing to me :)
As long as you are feeling present in your body, and aware of the stillness that the music arises from, it doesn't sound like a problem to me.
summer

Postby Bazhorn » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:41 am

Many thanks to you all.I Will try all your suggestions. B
Bazhorn

Postby heidi » Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:58 pm

Hello Bazhorn - Welcome here. I am singing and playing tunes over and over all the time, all day and night; it's a happy state but a noisy one nonetheless. I was especially aware of it when I was on vacation. The tunes were filling me up all the time, bringing rhythm to everything I was doing. I jog a lot too and often catch myself counting rhythm or breaking into a rhythmic tune as part of the action. I'd catch myself, and say, hmmm, what's that all about? and then begin to listen to the space between the notes or beats - that space consciousness is where the quietness begins.
:)
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby erict » Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:57 pm

Hi Bazhorn,

Let's see...

...Now, so there's your awareness, and there's the content of your awareness - the music or whatever. In our regular states we are only aware of the contents of our consciousness/awareness - thoughts, emotions, catchy tunes, :) etc. And presence is simply being aware not only of the content but also of the awarenss itself.

I somehow got the impression that you believe that being present means your mind is silent. As far as I understand it, being present doesn't mean your mind must be quiet, it just means you are aware of both dimensions - the manifest and unmanifest, and whatever manifests in this moment, you let it be. Well, something that :D
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Return to Questions