Roles in Life?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
jeremypeace

Roles in Life?

Post by jeremypeace » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:01 am

Everyone seems to have their roles in life, but I don't have a clue what I am to do with myself. I have no talents or any particular skill.....all I mainly do is 'go with the flow' while seeking truth.

I just wonder that if it's true one is to not need to pursue any outer things if they 'discover their true selves'?

or is THIS all just a thought that I should just 'watch'

joel

Post by joel » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:15 am

You are also playing your role perfectly, you just think it should be something else. If you didn't first believe this painful thinking you wouldn't then feel the need to believe that not persuing is spiritual in order to soothe yourself. So yes, just watch as it all passes through and you'll see for yourself.

jeremypeace

Post by jeremypeace » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:06 am

so everything that is happening is not to be labelled as bad but meant to be, even these thoughts and feelings I get that I am not knowing what to do with my life? and how I dont have anything going for me?

jeremypeace

Post by jeremypeace » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:16 am

i mean i know eckhart says every story is doomed to fail, but i still feel i need to have a role to be somebody.........

weichen

role for somebody "with no talent"

Post by weichen » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:45 am

Hi jeremypeace,

1. you are at a distinct advantage for perceiving yourself with no talents.
(1) I used to see myself with lots of talents. I got emotional when my boss or my wife asked me to do things that don't need talents. I felt insulted, I spent 10 minutes in anger over something that can be done in one minute.
(2) talents in a specific field also make it difficult for a person to let go. Eckhart spend many years to get his Bachelor and graduate degree, only to throw them all away at the age of 29.

2. Sharing things that you have with those people who need them, this does not require talents, it needs a new way of looking at who you are.
Eckhart taught us that the most precious gift one can offer to mankind is "stillness", which you have unlimited supply of.

3. Even within the narrow view of "talents to be rich and famous" in this material world, no one starts off with the talents, they become good at what they love to do by doing them early and doing as much as possible.
e.g. public speaking, a highly prized talent. You can be really good at it if you keep practicing it.

4. If you don't have a rich father to support you to do full time on the things that you love to do, then don't look down at jobs that takes no talents. Tony Robbins work part time as a Janitor for years while reading many hundreds of books and tapes on the science of success.

Foxtrot

Post by Foxtrot » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:51 am

Yes to the last line in your first post.

If you just notice your thoughts and feelings you will see that they are probably recurring. Like you have a tape machine inside that keeps playing the same old tape over and over. Are you thinking these thoughts or are they just happening. Just like breathing they just happen all by themselves. Had did they get in there. The thought you have "I am not knowing what to do with my life? and how I dont have anything going for me? is just a believe you have about yourself that becomes an identity, but really its just a thought going threw your mind. After it plays in your head a couple of times you assume it must be true. Take time to just notice this a few times for yourself and see. How did you arrive at this conclusion?

Now lets stay a little practical. You can "discover your true self" pursuing or not pursing outer things as you put it, the choice is yours. Play any role you want, just don't identify yourself as the role and certainly not with any thought that may float by in your awarness.

Seeking truth is also interesting. Suppose truth isn't what you think it is, how would you know it? You might walk right past it. Don't seek thruth, stand still and let it find you. Give yourself a little time each day to notice the thoughts your having by sitting down and creating a little space between you and your thoughts. You may find that someone else told you something and you accepted that thought. It then gets recorded on your internal tape recorder and plays over again when you feel a certain way or something in the outside world happens. If you can create that space where your watching and just seeing them as the involantary process they often are, you allow awareness to rise up so to speak, and as awareness grows it is automatically transformative. Thoughts that don't serve you will just dissolve by themselves. Awareness is the key, and all you need, and it is already there inside you.

jeremypeace

Post by jeremypeace » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:51 am

Im in a world completely obsessed with material attainment, so as a 'seeker' i guess i find it a little difficult (not saying im the only one!)

Theres a side to me that says that any outer achievement won't be of any use to 'find god', and kinda pointless - yet theres a side that says don't think that all you have to do is 'seek' and throw in other things as that can be seen as a little stupid.

Oh crumbs! :?:

jeremypeace

Post by jeremypeace » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:56 am

thank you so much for these posts :D

maunamrita

Post by maunamrita » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:06 am

my feeling about your position bro is that, if your external life is bothering you, if u feel the need for success with a job or something, then go for it, get trained, acquire some job skills, and while ure at it, be patient...takes time, and this is where your spiritual practice comes in, keep your awareness and dont bring yourself down..
i really do feel its better to have a normal external life instead of it being a constant source of bother and negativity, if a job is going to make it easier for you to practice spirituality, why not go after it? but dont wait to be spiritual till u get the job, practice constantly, but no harm in setting small goals bro...

old dead wood

Post by old dead wood » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:33 pm

If you are YOUNG, you may want to review and commit a bit to what you have enjoyed in the past and maybe dropped, just on the chance to avoid what MY particular problem was. This is to avoid regret. I am 55 years old. I strongly believe I was drawn, as a young person, towards "spiritual life" because I was a NON-alpha male and I was overwhelmed by normal worldly life. AT THAT TIME is when I could've used a bit of self-education, counseling, and committed action, rather than retreating into "spirituality". I really did have a lot of opportunities within my chosen loves and interests during my young years, but I was a coward. This late in life, I see my "spirituality" was actually made up of poor genetic tendencies, depression, cowardice. lack of testosterone, and other mental dis-orders. In high school, I had 3 tight friends and a general group of buddies. As I became more "spiritual" and sensitive, I dropped my friends, as they became interested in girls, drugs, and hooting and hollering like normal adolescents. Forty years later, here are the results:

Friend Number 1: famous movie director
Friend Number 2: Owner of 2 restaraunts
Friend Number 3: Successful lawyer
Me: A string of barely sufficient entry-level jobs.

I've been asked to meet up with them in a month, and I'm going to have to play the "mental illness card" to explain my lack of results.

proudlybeing

Post by proudlybeing » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:25 am

O.d.w (sorry i could not type your username as it seems to convey negatives about you, please correct me if i've misunderstood your username) :)

Hmmmmmm,

Sounds like your 3 friends ego's are successfull, !!
I wonder about their true selves ? that's not to say that they could no be enlightened, or have found peace, I just wonder.

As for your path, it seems like you were an 'old soul' (this is an extremly positive thing) at a young age, you did not follow their conventions, because your 'being' knew truth, and you chose to listen,
this my friend is not weakness or failure, but the key to your enlightenment. and indeed takes great courage in these times.
Avoiding regret, as you advised jeremypeace, is important, but it should not be at the expence of your true self.
you are extremly successful o.d.w

you may just be using the wrong form of measurement !!

bless you and all you care about,
(although they are already blessed because you do !)
My heart (and being) felt thanks to the force(es) than bring me to share this site and journey with you all.

eseward

Post by eseward » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:53 pm

Agree, proudlybeing. Well said.

yougarksooo

Post by yougarksooo » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:36 pm

Everyone seems to have their roles in life, but I don't have a clue what I am to do with myself. I have no talents or any particular skill.....all I mainly do is 'go with the flow' while seeking truth.

I just wonder that if it's true one is to not need to pursue any outer things if they 'discover their true selves'?

or is THIS all just a thought that I should just 'watch'
In my experience, before presence came in, I had a lot of things I wanted to do, but most of them were very egoic in nature. I wanted to become famous. I wanted a lot of money. Prestige in career. When presence came in, it all seemed kind of silly. I knew from past experience even before becoming present that those outer things would never fill me up. I have a long list of failures in my life leading up and including a 20 year drug addiction.

So I knew, even before presence, that these outer goals in and of themselves would not bring happiness. Yet I was looking for it anyway, not having any idea how to really be at peace. Then I picked up PON and eventually presence came in. That changed my entire outlook. For months, I walked around with no outer purpose whatsoever. Nothing seemed to matter that much. I looked around at others wondering what their problem was. The whole search for self stopped.

But as this thing continues to unfold, I find myself wanting to reach out to others. Sometimes that is by sharing my experience, or teaching. Other times it is just to be in community with others. I find myself wanting to help certain organizations that I feel strongly about. I've gone green, for environmental purposes.

I can't tell you why I've done any of it. I just know that Tolle's A New Earth where he talks about presence as primary, and outer purpose as secondary, speaks directly to what I've experienced.

Once the inside job happens, the outside will start to manifest. But it isn't like I'm trying to bring any result. Life is just sort of leading me. It is moving through me. A short way of expressing this is Tolle's statement "as within, so without." He may have been quoting someone else.

But this goes to the fact that once presence is here, your whole world turns upside down. What used to matter doesn't matter so much anymore. Yet you still care, very very deeply about people, life, spirituality. It's just much simpler. The self gets out of the way. Then you start to see things you never saw before (like others who are struggling). I shouldn't say "you" because this is my experience.
"When people ask me who they are or who God is, I smile inside and whisper to the light: there you go again . . . pretending."

Adya

eseward

Post by eseward » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:23 pm

Exactly right, yougarksooo. Nice post. :)

proudlybeing

Post by proudlybeing » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:28 pm

yoogarksooo wrote

But this goes to the fact that once presence is here, your whole world turns upside down. What used to matter doesn't matter so much anymore. Yet you still care, very very deeply about people, life, spirituality. It's just much simpler. The self gets out of the way. Then you start to see things you never saw before (like others who are struggling). I shouldn't say "you" because this is my experience.
The use of the word 'you' here I feel is fine, I am sure that there would'nt be many 'present' people who would not absolutely agree with this quote. Theres always more joy in giving than recieving .(this is especially true for those who are present.)

If I could give you (and everyone) one gift it would be ;-
enough presence to know, that for the times when you don't have enough presence,
Not to make the hard decicions until you do (have enough)

i hope that wasn't too confusing, ( I know what I meant ) he he :lol:
bless you for blessing us with your thoughts P.B
My heart (and being) felt thanks to the force(es) than bring me to share this site and journey with you all.