Is this a "Now" experience?- Please help identify

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
buckeyeboywonder

Is this a "Now" experience?- Please help identify

Post by buckeyeboywonder » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:57 am

Late last night I was laying in bed, and all I can recall is that I woke up, and immediately I saw something so beautiful it triggered something within my heart and I felt a mini-explosion of awe inside my chest ... that was for literally a split second... and I remember this thought in my head immediately after the explosion which I believe also squelched it: "Oh it's just a _______." (You could insert the word 'tree' as an example, because I don't remember the exact thing I observed that made my heart explode with joy). And then I realized that my mind saying "oh that's just a _____" may have been the cause of stopping that mini-explosion of awe.....

so my question is, have any of you had similar experiences; do you think this was an experience of present moment awareness in the Now before the mind could label it since I woke up and probably noticed whatever I saw as its true essence before my mind could function and label properly since I had been sleeping, so my mind needed some "start-up time" so to speak to actually start labeling and I happened to 'catch it off guard'.... or do you think that's not it?

aanwezigheid

Post by aanwezigheid » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:56 pm

I think that you answered your question by the way you wrote about it :) . It looks like a now-experience, but eventually the mind jumped in like you said.

A now-experience is for me a moment of peace and somehow I feel like I am in control. Maybe it is just the hidden realization that there is nothing to control, you know? When I feel that peaceful moment I become happier and if that is the joy where you are referring to, then I say: yes :wink: .

Ives

Re: Is this a "Now" experience?- Please help ident

Post by Ives » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:46 am

buckeyeboywonder wrote: Have any of you had similar experiences; do you think this was an experience of present moment awareness in the Now before the mind could label it?
If everyone here confirms for you that is was indeed a “now moment”, don't you then run the risk of wanting to recreate that special moment?

You had a glimpse into pure awareness without an object, but that experience is now in the past. Can you begin to live like that?

Do you see what I'm getting at? We could talk all day about beautiful experiences that we have had in the past. The question is: does reflecting on them help me in some way to be here now? If it does, great, that’s a valuable tool, a technique that I have learnt.

A portal opened. But if a portal opened and immediately slammed shut, it could be discouraging and could create a longing to reproduce that moment. Which is impossible, because the universe never repeats itself. Being is always fresh and new, only the mind can become stale.

yougarksooo

Post by yougarksooo » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:56 am

A portal opened. But if a portal opened and immediately slammed shut, it could be discouraging and could create a longing to reproduce that moment.
Right, and the spiritual seeker is then born, forever chasing her tail. Die to the past. :D

With regard to the now experience mentioned above, sounds like you had a satori, isn't that what they call it, a glimpse?

We can then let go and never seek to re-experience anything, just allow what is.
"When people ask me who they are or who God is, I smile inside and whisper to the light: there you go again . . . pretending."

Adya