Too much reading...

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Too much reading...

Postby bluejay » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:48 am

I have read tpon and new earth others as well eye of an I.I keep them with me an read them often during the day.Right now it is new earth. sometimes I wonder whether I am doing too much reading and not enough livining or am i addicted to tpon.I think i read in eye of an I abou the problems with self help and too much self exploration. Everybook leads to another book. Something along the line ,everything we need we have end the search.
bluejay

Postby Egoicmidget » Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:40 pm

It might be that the ego is in play and running the "it's never enough "script. By the reading you may wonder if the more you read the more you will grow.
The egoic self thinks about quanity and more, more, more. For me the information isn't about trying to "get it" .
I'm working on allowing less anaylisis and just letting the information
act as pointers.

To me it's all about surrender since my own ego loves the battle(I'm a former boxer).

Abiding in a peacful mind is enough and that resides in the now.

At first I felt bored because the dramatics that fueled my tensions and stress were what I tought I was. I felt out of gas until I realized that peace can feel like your depressed when actually I was just slowed down by surrender to what is and felt peace for the first time in my 56 years.
I have spent my life living for things and thinking that would complete me.
Little did I know I was already complete that nothing of my true essence was hurt or damaged.
I have found that the witness is another all to simple idea, but who says enlightenment has to have a Phd. attached? The ego.

That thought for me was liberating.

Why not take a week to just be and enjoy the fruits of the learnings?

Peace

John
Egoicmidget

Postby bluejay » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:55 pm

As a coach I can relate to the battle.The season is just about over and it will be easier to lighten up.The messages that you give and work under in sports is very different than tpon.I can remeber the few times out on the practice field going look at those clouds.The other 99% of the time I wouldnt know what was in the sky.
bluejay

Postby be-lank » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:36 am

Mostly airplanes!

Hi BlueJay,

I'm glad you posted a new subject. It seems you know the answer to your question. Somewhere along the line ya got to stop the search, like you said!

I agree with John too. Do you practice any of the portals in the PON?

Taking a break from reading, and just being instead, is good medicine.

Oh, and enjoy!
be-lank

Postby bluejay » Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:28 pm

when you said portals I had to look it up even though I have read the book many times.Are you talking about inner body awareness. I attempt to be in the now when I can remember.Is that what you mean?If you dont mind could you explain?
bluejay

Postby AndyD » Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:33 pm

Hi Bluejay,

An issue often mentioned by Eckhart is seeking of the self within things. While for many this is objects, achievements, career, opinions of others etc the idea of the spiritual seeker (who often gives up the aforementioned things) introduces the issue of seeking enlightenment (with the determination to read more books, attend more talks, meet enlightened people etc....).

This said do not make a problem out of reading (therby adding to the self again); read and learn as much as you want to and when the right time comes you will stop reading naturally.
AndyD

Postby be-lank » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:08 pm

Dear Bluejay,

“Chapter Seven- Portals into the Unmanifested.”

Eckhart speaks of inner body awareness, as well as other portals.

And throughout the book he mentions “techniques” that still the mind and thus allow for space consciousness to emerge.

He also says that we only need one portal practice. But a practice does imply time. A practice is something one does regularly, and often.

Eckhart has said that the best portal is to completely accept whatever form the Now is taking. No matter what. And the more unacceptable the form or forms, the better. For the deeper the “yes” to it will be. Which takes one deeper. This is aligning oneself with what is, because it is. This is surrender. Where there is no inner resistance.

He has said the second best practice is that if there is resistance to what is, to the forms of now, then that is to be completely accepted. There is a reaction, and pain body starts up, and instead of it going into the head and making stories about it and becoming it, we just allow it to be- this pain, this resistance. This is where inner body awareness practice really helps.

For me, the best practice is the hardest. I don’t accept much of anything! But the second best practice I do all right in. This means I’m “ouching” a lot! But this is conscious suffering- and all this trapped energy- resistance- pain- when accepted, dissolves and becomes pure inner energy- freed consciousness!

Eckhart says that this is human pain- not personal. And it is hundreds of thousands of years of human pain. So for most of us freedom from suffering is not going to happen overnight. And these portal practices are very helpful. If not essential for some of us.

Other portals are using the senses- eyes and ears- to watch stillness and to listen to silence. Especially effective in nature.

Being Still is all that is required. Stilling the mind, going into the body, completely accepting the now. Surrendering to what is in the moment. Letting it be. Letting life be.

It is also one of the hardest things for us to do!

For this is the last thing our egos want to do, and they fight this!
Even if that is just making us more sleepy.

But that is why it is called a practice- though Eckhart has said he does not like that word- or anything that sounds like work or effort or labor.

In my experience, if ya hang in there, the mind will subside. Stillness will come. And realization of the words in the Power of Now as well.

There are more portal practices mentioned in the book. You might experiment and find the one that suits you best now. Miracles are here. Transformation is here!

To Andy D,

You had some good point(ers)!
be-lank

Return to Questions