Do We Need To Have A Nervous / Mental Breakdown...?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
weichen

Post by weichen » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:19 am

Do we need to have a nervous breakdown ?

The answer is probably no. The word "need" implies one exclusive solution to a problem.

When people in difficult life situation ask me for help, I would make a point to phrase my answer in "inclusive" terms, see also
http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth ... 2360#12360

I would say something like: there are probably unlimited solutions to your problem, I have some practical ideas. And then I would say that there is one strange solution to your problem: let things go 100 times worse than what it is. This tends to pull the electrical plug of his thinking machine and get him into a state of shocking stillness.

There are many traditional sayings to illustrate this solution: things need to go worse before they will improve, the Dow Jones Index need to go down further before it will come back, total failure is needed for one to truly surrender, one has to die first and then rebirth can happen....