Getting too used to this

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
D'ray

Getting too used to this

Post by D'ray » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:42 pm

Greetings all,

Straight to the point. I'm so used to being the watcher of my thoughts and emotions that it doesn't "work" so well as it used to.
The problem probably is that I'm trying too hard to think and not feel. When I
feel my innerbody.. I don't know, it just feel dull if anything.

My life is now very easy. I'm living with my parents and school is going great.
Any "problems" which may arise are so small that they're just so silly and stupid. The thing is that my ego feeds this thought that when you go to the real world (I've big plans) you will be crushed by BIG problems. It is insane to think this way because ego isn't real. But it feels so **** real.

kiki

Post by kiki » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:59 pm

D'ray wrote:The problem probably is that I'm trying too hard to think and not feel.
When there is a preference for something "problems" will arise. Find the source of the one who is "trying too hard to thnk and not feel". Is it real?

proudlybeing

no big problems here!

Post by proudlybeing » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:05 pm

Hi D'ray,

You said that any problems that arise are just 'silly and small',

I'm guessing that you see other people with these same problems, but to them they are BIG problems,
This is the very reason your 'big plans' will be a breeze !!

You will probably find that because you are 'operating at a higher level' that you will feel like you have more time to make the right decicions, and are in front of the pack, just remember to listen to your true self.

The great thing about investing in the 'now', is you get the payoff 'now'

P.B
My heart (and being) felt thanks to the force(es) than bring me to share this site and journey with you all.

dancer

Post by dancer » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:08 pm

The problem probably is that I'm trying too hard to think and not feel
Hi D'ray,

The problem may be that you're buying into the belief that there is a problem.
:)

weichen

Post by weichen » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:44 pm

Getting too used to this
This may be one fundamental principle about how mind operate: each mind pathway can only carry a limited amount of traffic based on how wide the pathway is at this time.

Getting too used to this is a feedback to the host that one particular pathway (e.g. watching the mind) is saturated.
1. you can widen up this pathway, and then get more acorss
2. or you can pick up new pathways.

cracklepop

Post by cracklepop » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:35 am

Interesting D'ray. I go through periods when I am 'watching' my mind that after a few days it seems all too hard to do. In fact, I find I have to focus constantly on my mind otherwise I become identified with it. As a result I forget to feel. As far as the dullness you 'feel', are you talking about a lack of feeling? When I started this process I didn't feel anything, but over time (and awareness) I have begun to feel more and more. It does take time. Hope this helps.

deep82

Post by deep82 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:28 am

cracklepop wrote:Interesting D'ray. I go through periods when I am 'watching' my mind that after a few days it seems all too hard to do. In fact, I find I have to focus constantly on my mind otherwise I become identified with it. As a result I forget to feel. As far as the dullness you 'feel', are you talking about a lack of feeling? When I started this process I didn't feel anything, but over time (and awareness) I have begun to feel more and more. It does take time. Hope this helps.
I have felt this "dullness" these last few days. I have tried discussing my views on consciousness with my friends and family but, I feel like I am nuts! It feels like they are not listening to me, and respond to me by talking about something unrelated, and I feel isolated.

I have felt awareness of my thoughts, and it has helped greatly to let other peoples negativity pass through me. However, I do not feel any joy. Is it because I am surrounded by my parents, whos pain body is overwhelmingly negative?

proudlybeing

Post by proudlybeing » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:24 am

Hi deep82,

The negativity from you parents (or anywhere) can only be negative
in you egoic mind, I;e if you precess it as negative.

By this I mean that if you prejudge everything that they say, or that events will be negative prior to them happening, that's all that the egoic mind will look for, and the cycle goes on. I'm not saying that they are not negative, , but your reaction to what is said is more important than what is said. Acceptance that this is the way they are, is part of accepting what 'is', and who knows, you might find that you can just cut them some slack because -- it 'is' .

Your journey is all you can work on, accept that people are all different, and simply may not be ready to' hear' , 'see' or' find' themselves. Talking with others who have no concept of 'is '
can be difficult, that is why this forum is so great.

bless you and all around you

P.B
[/u]
My heart (and being) felt thanks to the force(es) than bring me to share this site and journey with you all.

Larryfroot

Post by Larryfroot » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:39 am

Hallo D'ray.

There is observing the mind...and then there is compassionate observing. There is observing the mind with loving kindness. I suppose one of the realisations early on is how everyone suffers from an uncontrolled mind. So, if I may use myself as an example, my discursive mind chatter is not peculiar to me, but is common to everyone. it has for the past however many thousands of years, been an integral part of the human experience. Mind chatter is not a personal tning aimed at me because I have been bad, or weak, or useless. Knowing it is part of the human condition and not personal has helped to remove some subtle self-judgement I experienced for falling unconscious.

OK, so now I am pootling along, and then pain body or discursive mind chatter comes in. Yes I observe it, but because I know that it is not personal but is the pain or disturbance of us all manifesting inside ourselves at this particular time, I am able to observe it and give it compassion, give it loving kindness. Our minds have been the victim of this stuff for what feels like forrever, and then on top of that, we so often resent the mind for being a victim! If we treated other people in the same way we treat our minds we would be up in court. It is like walking past a victim of a crime laying on the pavement and kicking him or her as we pass.

Our minds are crying out for love, compassion and understanding. Our painbodies are perpetuated, in part, because we do not offer its pain those qualities of loving kindness.

So whenever the pain hits, my response these days is to offer it compassion, loving kindness, space and understanding. To become an enemy of the chattering mind, to become the enemy of the painbody is to perpetuate the problem. But to become friends with all of that, toopen up in the spirit of acceptance and love is to effectively transmute all that pain, distraction, suffering into the qualities we bring towards it. Compassionate watching, watching with loving kindness and a wish to heal with understanding and love is a highly engaging process that offers much more...attraction? Foundation? Ability? ....to observe with and from.

What is more, because we understand that the pain we are transmuting is not just ours, but all pain and suffering everywhere, our hearts open up to others...our hearts become a little more tender, a little more open with each time we watcgh with compassion and love and understanding.

Sometimes, in the midst of overwhelming pain, this approach, and the tender heart of enlightenment it engenders is the only cause for peace we can have.
Many a mickle muches a markle.

deep82

Post by deep82 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:17 pm

proudlybeing wrote: Your journey is all you can work on, accept that people are all different, and simply may not be ready to' hear' , 'see' or' find' themselves. Talking with others who have no concept of 'is '
can be difficult, that is why this forum is so great.

bless you and all around you

P.B
[/u]
This forum is indeed great :D , I feel like I am exercising my consciousness reading posts and getting stronger from it.

Forgiving others is something I am doing more and more. And it is bringing greater peace.

Can I ask the differences between the mind, ego and painbody?

My interpretation is that, the mind encompasses all thoughts. The ego is the unconscious part of the mind that wants something, to have an identity. The painbody is energy in the body that picks up on unfulfilled wants.

eseward

Post by eseward » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:31 pm

proudlybeing wrote:your reaction to what is said is more important than what is said.
Exactly. :)
Vernon Howard wrote:Our only problem is that we believe so many wrong things.
Vernon Howard wrote:Don't take your present view of the world as the limit of the world.

proudlybeing

Post by proudlybeing » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:01 pm

larryfroot,

Your post (above) is sensational !

(it get better each time I read it ) thankyou
This part is particularly brilliant ,
If we treated other people in the same way we treat our minds we would be up in court. It is like walking past a victim of a crime laying on the pavement and kicking him or her as we pass.

Be as kind to yourself as you are to others :)
P.B

Agnieszka

Post by Agnieszka » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:47 pm

"If we treated other people in the same way we treat our minds we would be up in court. It is like walking past a victim of a crime laying on the pavement and kicking him or her as we pass".

It's extremely helpful. Larry, I love it!

D'ray

Post by D'ray » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:37 pm

Larryfroot that was great post.

I liked the fact, that the mind chatter is in all of us, it's universal.

I wonder why our uncontrable minds tend to became negative instead of positive?

This has helped me to stay in present nowdays. I like to call ego as Little Me.
It lives inside me and it's mirror image of me. The more I am identified with my mind, the more the Little Me grows in me (Fills me up). And the more I'm present, it disappears.

Heh, Tolle quotes somebody in PON, that if you want to test how lightened you are, go and live with your parents for a while :) .
There are very very few people in my life who can wake up my ecoic mind so well as them.
dancer wrote:
The problem probably is that I'm trying too hard to think and not feel
Hi D'ray,

The problem may be that you're buying into the belief that there is a problem.
Oh, that is true. My mind needs see before it can believe :?
weichen wrote:
Getting too used to this
This may be one fundamental principle about how mind operate: each mind pathway can only carry a limited amount of traffic based on how wide the pathway is at this time.

Getting too used to this is a feedback to the host that one particular pathway (e.g. watching the mind) is saturated.
1. you can widen up this pathway, and then get more acorss
2. or you can pick up new pathways.
I see. Can you elaborate the "How to" part? :)