Question about the Ego

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Question about the Ego

Postby Egoicmidget » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:56 pm

I'm reading with great interest the comments on this board.

I think there are many very bright folks discussing through pointers the teachings of Eckhart Tolle.
I think language really gets in the way and I seem to sense that enlighment is sort of a competition of sorts by some of the discussion.
Brillant people trying to convey their points using the phrases that suggest they are right and the other is wrong.
Is this the egoic mind slipping in the back door and disquising itself as "I'm more?"
If so, is this an indicator that the ego is smarter than we think in it's ability to interfere with the process of surrender and being in the now?
I ask a simple question?
Is any comparison of views egoic in nature?
I'm new to this so your thoughts are appreciated.

Peace,

John
Egoicmidget

Postby Awareness » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:22 pm

it is .

thank you very much
Awareness

Postby bluejay » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:46 pm

I know I read the higher level comments and my ego says I am less. I dont think thats most of the peoples intention.
bluejay

Postby be-lank » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:55 pm

"....and join another one."
be-lank

Postby be-lank » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:59 pm

Bluejay!

Yes! It's less.

Let's play, let's dance, let's fall, let's die!

We could all hold hands!

Let's make God happy!
be-lank

Postby bluejay » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:20 pm

yes to less and yes they are and..
bluejay

Postby Egoicmidget » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:16 pm

Thanks, I suppose the question deserved the response it got.
Sorry if I offended anyone, that wasn't my intention.

I'm new to PON so....I'll be still now.

Peace,

John
Egoicmidget

Postby be-lank » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:17 pm

Dear John,

Your post and your question were wonderful!

If any words ever offend anyone- that’s good! That’s bringing to the surface that which is already there- and needs to be brought into the light and seen and accepted. Offend away, friend!
I do constantly!

If the intent is to offend- that’s a little different. But if one’s intent is to simply tell their truth- or express anything they feel or think or are- and that offends others- consider it a gift to them.

You may be a new member, and welcome!- but your post was insightful- and asking for discernment on something. Please continue- and feel free to rock the boat!

None of the responses were targeting at you.

Everyone who posts is offering their perspective- and all are accepted, appreciated and allowed to be. This does not mean we have to agree with every view. And its fun to play! A game of “this versus that” may be going on, but this is just a game. One that could be insightful, inspiring even. But beyond the game is that all of us are Here, Now, together- One! Beyond the words, discussion, debates, questions etc …. is Love! And this Love accepts all perspectives.

Our egos are very careful- they like to protect themselves.
They have a need to belong, to not make waves, to try and be “spiritual”. To fit in. They fear judgment of others. And that’s just why we need to post! Get them out of the closet. Expose them.

For we are not our egos- and the more we shine the light on them, the more we realize this. The more we depersonalize and detach from this sense of separation and mind identification.

You have nothing to apologize for! And maybe this is something for you to look at.

As you are a new member, I could apologize if I came on too strong. But I ain’t gonna! (Unless you would like to me to.)

Please keep posting- there’s much here for you to share and to receive.

And Yes to Being Still!
be-lank

Re: Question about the Ego

Postby medelvio » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:18 pm

>I think language really gets in the way and I seem to sense that
>enlighment is sort of a competition of sorts by some of the discussion.

you can bet it is.

>Brillant people trying to convey their points using the phrases that
>suggest they are right and the other is wrong.

brilliant or merely a bunch of weirdos pretending to be "spiritually advanced", that's just a matter of your point of view.

>Is this the egoic mind slipping in the back door and disquising itself as
>"I'm more?"

sure it does.

>If so, is this an indicator that the ego is smarter than we think in it's
>ability to interfere with the process of surrender and being in the now?

the ego is smart. no doubt about that. but not smarter than we think, because it is what we think we are.

>I ask a simple question?

if you think it's simple ... then again: if you thought it were simple you wouldn't have asked.

>Is any comparison of views egoic in nature?

yes, of course.
then again "ego" or "mind" aren't bad by nature.

>I'm new to this so your thoughts are appreciated.

appreciated by whom? your ego?
;-)

cheers,

medelvio
medelvio

Postby Katiebug » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:21 am

Be-lank

---They have a need to belong, to not make waves, to try and be “spiritual”. To fit in. They fear judgment of others. And that’s just why we need to post! Get them out of the closet. Expose them.---

I like all that you said. This part of "try" to be spiritual to fit in seems pretty true. At first Im irritated by this kind of person, but then I realize that they are the same as I am. We are all the same really. We all just want to be loved. :D
Katiebug

Postby be-lank » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:24 am

Dear Katibug,

What you wrote is so very true. “We all just want to be loved.”
Your simplicity is lovely.

And you know, Katibug, Love has many faces. Eckhart tells of a story
of a Japanese Zen Master who cut off the finger of a boy, and he instantly becomes enlightened. Now we would think that this would be cruel. A boy and his finger missing and pain. But since the boy became Self-realized- is this not a form of love? A great face of love? An act of love?

The personal self just wants to be loved in a cozy way. But to really be loved, to know who we really are- to know we are One- and recognize this in all- which is true love- sometimes Love gets rough. If we are kissed sincerely- here is love, and if we are kicked afterwards, is this not love also? We do not think so. But Love knows better. In fact, many Masters say that the kick is more loving than the kiss!

It really is the acceptance of either kiss or kick in the moment. And since it is harder to accept a kick- it is a greater, deeper opening when it is accepted.

When you get irritated with others, and probably for good reason- how do you deal with it? Do you practice the pain body portal? For this is so wonderful to do!

Eckhart has said that we are here for things to go wrong. And lots of things go wrong. And when they do, we are to accept it in the moment. And if we can’t, then we are to accept the resistance in the moment. It is all about acceptance, which is surrender. Through surrender we can know what true Love is. On the way, we will get kicked some!

I love you!
be-lank

Postby be-lank » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:44 am

Hi Medelvio,

Welcome! I enjoyed your post.

I agree with what you wrote. I see no problem here.

There is only God.

The rest is a sense of separation going in and out doors, windows, floors, and mostly hiding in closets! And that is in or of most all of us.

And that's okay. Does it matter what the ego does or does not do?

All that mattters is that Consciousness is emerging within us.

It does it by Itself. It dissolves the ego as it flowers.

Let's let it!

Please write more.

"Nothing is as it seems." E. Tolle.

"Don't take your thoughts too seriously." E. Tolle.
be-lank

Postby Katiebug » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:15 am

I love you too
Katiebug

Postby Egoicmidget » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:44 am

Upon further exploration I realize the term Ego rests in the mind category as something searchers for enlightenment either don’t want to admit they have or are in heavy denial about it’s powers over them.
I have an ego as do all of you, my thinking is that Tolle suggests we make the ego our servant instead of our master and ego or lack of it or too much is really just a way of monitoring how well were are in the now or how we need to become the observer and view our own behavior.
Freud called the ego the “enlightened mediator” between the Id and Super-ego, however I realize Tolle’s defination is the shadow of fear casts by an illusory sense of self.
I certainly can’t say I am egoless which then turns the matter into a contest of who has the most or least ego.
Who is the most or least enlightened? Which in my opinion could manifest into more problems.
To take what I say line by line and assign whatever meaning you choose is amusing to me but looses the context of my own meaning an applies your interpretation to my words.
I am not bothered or even annoyed by those interpretations because I asked for your insights.

I do enjoy what has been mentioned as closet behavior, to be liked and valued as a person is of importance but inside I let a part of me abide in the peace beneath the noise.

I think emotionally I have needs to be loved but I have learned to not depend on that.

I am trying to nurture the new learning with out it generating to much mental noise.
To me it’s about balance as I move towards being, I hope this clears things up and I’m really
happy to be a part of this forum, thanks for having me.

Peace,
John
Last edited by Egoicmidget on Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Egoicmidget

Re: Question about the Ego

Postby phil » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:34 am

Egoicmidget wrote:Brillant people trying to convey their points using the phrases that suggest they are right and the other is wrong. Is this the egoic mind slipping in the back door and disquising itself as "I'm more?" If so, is this an indicator that the ego is smarter than we think in it's ability to interfere with the process of surrender and being in the now

This is indeed a good question, thanks for offering it.

Here's my brilliant analysis. :-)

I sense you've put your finger on something that we should keep on the table in any forum, but especially in a forum about awakening.

What is our motivation for posting? Maybe we should ask the forum owner to create a popup with that question that greets us on each visit.

My ego-centric desire to um, share my um, "brilliant" insights is indeed much of what motivates me here. But not all. I do sincerely enjoy the company of people who find all these issues relevant.

For me (not a prescription for anyone else) part of the process of surrendering to the moment is trying (not always successfully) to be open and accurate about whatever is happening in the now.

Poses. Within poses. Within poses. At some point it just becomes a hilarious predictament, like a Marx Brothers movie, eh?

The ego is indeed a slippery customer. The closer he is to being "out of the closet" the less slippery he is. Let's come out of the closet, and laugh about it. God created ego. It's not a disease. Just a powerful tool to be used carefully and wisely, if at all possible.

Finally, for lurkers, and those who may be intimidated by the posts of others.

The ability to string words together in a pleasing order is a knack some people were born with. The fact that one person was born with that knack (and thus can take no credit for it), and someone else wasn't born with that knack, is about as relevant to awakening as their eye color.

If you have the courage to express what's in your heart, even if the words don't flow nicely, that just means you are braver than someone who finds ego-centric typing easy.

Be brave if you can, we're all just fools, join us in our public foolishness.
phil

Next

Return to Questions