Pain-body -- Physical Manifestation common?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Torgado

Pain-body -- Physical Manifestation common?

Post by Torgado » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:45 am

Greetings,

Is it common in the early stages for a pain-body to manifest through physical discomfort?

I have just recently begun allowing presence- started reading The Power of Now about 2 weeks ago. For the first time in my life my mind has gone silent for moments, sometimes hours at a time- amazing experience.

It seems that the longer I experience presence, the more physical discomfort has begun to surface in my neck and shoulders.

Has anyone else experience a pain-body manifestation like this?

Thank you kindly,
--
Torgado

bear3303

Post by bear3303 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:46 pm

Howdy, and welcome!!
That's so interesting--I bet it's like a detox thing that's happening to you, or maybe your painbody is fighting to keep you from being present???
I did notice yesterday, when I was being present--it's been few and far between for me lately:(--that my scalp hurt, I felt the tension in my head, the back of my scalp-----weird, huh??
I have a feeling your pain will work itself out tho--we shall see what the 'wise ones' here have to say:)
Has your pain lessened any yet?
Cindy

seeker

Post by seeker » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:10 pm

Yes. For me too there physical manifestations; at least I hope that's what is happening.

Search some of the other posts on the pain body. Others have spoken of the same thing.

Welcome.

weichen

Post by weichen » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:30 pm

Torgado wrote:It seems that the longer I experience presence, the more physical discomfort has begun to surface in my neck and shoulders.
Hi, Torgado

You seem to imply that you had less physical pain before you practice presence. I don't think that to be true. Suppression (look away from the problem as if it does not exist) can temporarily stop pain, but pain would come back, and maybe in much intense form if the problem worsens due to lack of appropriate action.

When you practice presence (e.g. watching the pain feeling, watch the thoughts that lead to the pain, giving it full attention rather than look away), if you experience more pain, it is probably because you did not watch the negative thoughts intensely enough, and therefore you were actually identifying with the thoughts and were NOT present most of the time. But as long as you get a split second disidentifying, you would gain the precious experience of pain suddenly weakening, and at that split of a second, you are no longer at the grip of your mind.

Watching the mind is not new, I remember I behaved much better when my parents were watching me when I was a two year old boy. When my parents were watching me, somehow the two year old little me was also watching its own acts. So watching is an innate ability of human being. In that sense, your spiritual practice is just to pick up some talent you forgot you were born with.

If enlightenment requires only a few simple spiritual practice, then why Eckhart's books have several hudnred pages ? So be dilligent and read the whole book, and read them several times. In the case of watching the negative thoughts and feeling, there is a long list of related tools that makes the watching a lot easier and more powerful.
(1)thoughts blind us to the beautiful truth because thoughts, at best, are extremely narrow perspectives that oversimplifies reality.
(2)thoughts often come out reactively to maintain a high ego status quo, but ego (your name, status, bank account, talents, spouse, children, house, friends, etc) are not the real you, so if you allow ego to shrink, then thoughts intended to expand ego back to its original size would die.
(3).....

This list can go on and on, spiritual practice evolves from less effective to more effective everyday. Don't assume that the pointers you get from the teacher is complete, far from it!

Seancho

Post by Seancho » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:58 pm

Definitely.

The pain body runs on emotional energy, and especially repressed emotional energy. Fear, anger, shame....all food for the pain body. And repressed emotional energy gets trapped in the physical body. Neck and shoulders especially.

Think about someone who you might call "tense" or "uptight." Cant you just see how they feel by the way they carry their neck and shoulders?

Scan your body sensations. Anywhere you sense tension, pressure, friction. Thats the pain body. The more sensitive you become, the more youll notice it.

This physical awareness is a great gift, because those uncomfortable sensations show you exactly where presence is needed. Find the negative feeling in your body, become aware of how it feels and conciously allow it to be. bathe it with compassion and acceptance. Dont try to change it. Just feel.

Breathe and relax into the feeling.

Notice the calm, peaceful space that opens up around the discomfort. Like a soft white soothing light. Become aware of that space and it will grow. Can you feel the negative sensation and the surrounding peace at the same time?
If you stop believing in fear, is it still scary?

Torgado

You all are the coolest folks

Post by Torgado » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:09 am

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful insight and replies- you are all the coolest non-ego's on the planet :D (ehemmmm... not that I'm trying to feed your ego's... errr... :wink: )
--
Torgado

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:36 pm

Hi Torgado, welcome.

When first I came to be aware of the power of now, I would focus hard on the present moment. It gave me headaches. It took a little experience before I realized I was creating a rigidity in the body by locking down my mind so as not to be constantly thinking. Look to your own experience to see if something like this may be causing your "stiff neck".

Clear presence, and the Natural State, is regained by allowing the moment to be as it is. Building walls against thought will create resistance and likely discomfort. Take advantage of the spaces between thoughts to recognize presence and release whatever thoughts and stories that happen to be running. Then rest openly in the clarity of silence. When thoughts creep back in don't fight with them, just find a space once again and gently drop the story. Repeat this as often as possible until you recognize the silent/clear space as who you are.

You know from Tolle that it is the thought stories that create a thought self, an ego believing itself to be a real separate person based on everything it ever thought. Awakening is the return to thought free, label-less being. It is the release of thoughts about self in favor of present clarity.

eseward

Post by eseward » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:08 pm

weichen wrote:... as long as you get a split second disidentifying, you would gain the precious experience of pain suddenly weakening, and at that split of a second, you are no longer at the grip of your mind.
Exactly. Beautiful. :)

eseward

Post by eseward » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:12 pm

Seancho wrote:Definitely.

The pain body runs on emotional energy, and especially repressed emotional energy. Fear, anger, shame....all food for the pain body. And repressed emotional energy gets trapped in the physical body.
Great description and great post, Seancho.

dubhasa

Post by dubhasa » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:35 pm

When first I came to be aware of the power of now, I would focus hard on the present moment. It gave me headaches. It took a little experience before I realized I was creating a rigidity in the body by locking down my mind so as not to be constantly thinking.

Webwanderer,
I want to acknowledge that I have an identical experience of headaches while trying to focus hard. I also found it a lot easier to focus on the gaps between thoughts instead of thoughts themselves. Thoughts would simple vanish instead of resisting to conquer.

Torgado

Resisting thought as cause of discomfort

Post by Torgado » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:50 pm

Webwanderer wrote:Hi Torgado, welcome.

When first I came to be aware of the power of now, I would focus hard on the present moment. It gave me headaches. It took a little experience before I realized I was creating a rigidity in the body by locking down my mind so as not to be constantly thinking.
Thank you Webwanderer. It seems you've struck something here. I can see how this is very likely the case. In retrospect, my moments of clarity and presence have been intrinsically tied to a purposeful, intense focus on the now- building a wall against thought, as you say. Even in the context of no-thought, there has been a low level energy of unease and I've wondered if this has been the result of suppression of thought- seems perhaps this is the case.

I have recognized for more than a decade that my mind is running a muck. I would say to my wife frequently, "Honey, I dunno- I just can't shut the thing down- it just goes and goes and goes like a insane supercharged version of the energizer bunny rabbit." I have historically been in a constant state of super-analysis of imagined interactions with people, past and future. These imaginations have been primarily conflict based in the form of debate.

It is going to be interesting to see if I can observe some spaces in there somewhere :?
[/quote]
--
Torgado

Torgado

Allowing the discomfort

Post by Torgado » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:09 pm

Seancho wrote:
Breathe and relax into the feeling.

Notice the calm, peaceful space that opens up around the discomfort. Like a soft white soothing light. Become aware of that space and it will grow. Can you feel the negative sensation and the surrounding peace at the same time?
Amazing. Thank you.
--
Torgado