Sex

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
spatialbean

Post by spatialbean » Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:43 am

No I know not everyone is a realized master, but I have to see the master within each person, or try to, so I don't judge them by their actions.

It's just a little thing I do to help me get past baloney.

be-lank

Post by be-lank » Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:52 am

Heidi wrote, “the fulfillment of a relationship just Is - rather than fulfilling a longing or incompleteness.” This is lovely! This was so well put.

“and I'm knowing that when we are present in the doing and being, then we are living in the now.

What was the question?” Sensational! That Is the Now!

“And here's the hitch - being in the urge, being present in the urge. The state of "wanting" be it food, sex, itch, cigarette... - to be present to the urge. I've been experiencing an honoring of what is, and if it's an itch, well it's a sacrament, as is every moment. “

I love this! And this answers John’s post on desire, and my own desires as well.

Be present in the desire, in the urge. Oh yeah! (Let’s party!)

summer

Post by summer » Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:54 am

So glad you brought it up, Be Lank,
Desire is the real urge here.
Whether that desire is for sex, or food, security or emotional intimacy, or love is not too important.

Knowing ourselves as the space in which these desires arise, allows the shift in our consciousness to arise easily and effortlessly.

be-lank

Post by be-lank » Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:54 am

PHILLY!

IT'S YOUR TURN AT BAT!

be-lank

Post by be-lank » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:00 am

Summer!

"Knowing ourselves as the space in which these desires arise, allows the shift in our consciousness to arise easily and effortlessly."

I love this too!

GOOOOLLLLY!

We All Be sailing Now! Winds Up!

spatialbean

Post by spatialbean » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:37 am

Yeah where's Philomemnon, he's unusually quiet. Maybe he's having sex.

spatialbean

Post by spatialbean » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:38 am

Summer...
Knowing ourselves as the space in which these desires arise, allows the shift in our consciousness to arise easily and effortlessly.
Please explain for me. Thanks!

be-lank

Post by be-lank » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:53 pm

Awesome practice, Claudia!

summer

Post by summer » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:50 am

Hi Claudia,
when I try to answer your question, it seems like I could write a whole book :lol:

So I will try and be brief, but may miss the mark.
In the "normal" state of consciousness we are identified with our bodies and our mind. So when the body is sexually aroused we say "I am sexually aroused"
This state of misidentification creates a very insecure, needy self image, that is always seeking wholeness. Often in the form of desires for external objects, such as money, love, pleasure, sex, success, and the list goes on.

Yet when we know ourself to be the awareness, or space in which all these forms arise, there is no longer the illusion that someone or something can fulfill us.

The body is sexually aroused, but there is no longer a compulsive need to satisfy this impulse. I am peaceful and content. Awareness is still there whether the need is satisfied or not.

I hope this helps a little :)

phil

Post by phil » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:47 am

Hi gang, it's Philomemnon Ted Nugent here, back by popular demand. You can call me "Just Phil", and let's be very clear on that! :-)
phil wrote:“Surely we'll agree that the emotional need for others is where the trouble brews. I can understand why we'd want to look at that.

But the emotional need is also the glue that holds relationships, families, and societies together.”
be-lank wrote:Exactly. Let’s look at this glue. In your view this glue is seen as positive. In mine, it is where the trouble brews.
Um, c'mon now, I welcome debate, but please quote me accurately. I didn't say need is positive. I said need is both positive and negative. I'm trying to step out of a linear dualism and see need in it's wholeness.

What made us buy our first Tolle book? A need of some kind? Yes?

What made us search out this forum and stay here? A need for companionship, or entertainment, or enlightenment, or ego-boosting arm wrestling, or some combination of the above? A need of some kind? Yes?

Are we happy to have found Tolle and each other? If yes, then why not credit need for the role it played?

Yes, need is where the trouble brews. And silence can be a great aid here. And Tolle is a great teacher of silence. We agree on this.

A discussion of specific practical ways in which a practise of silence could aid a relationship could be a useful addition to this thread. Anybody wish to run with that?

It could possibly be useful to point out that there are millions of couples who find each other through mutual need, and live long happy lives together, thanks in part to continuing mutual need. They do so without any knowledge of or reference to the teachings we are discussing here. Don't take Just Phil's word for it, observe for yourself.

Is Tolle a Master? Wouldn't one have to be a Master to know this? Not being a Master myself, I'll leave this question to others who are.

Kind and gentle ladies, before we accept without question what Krishnamurti, Tolle or any other kind and gentle teacher has to say about relationships, might we not wish to enquire a bit first to see if such teachers have ever once in their life lived with a woman for any period of time?

Or are we going to just blindly believe every word some man tells us because he is in some position of self declared authority? :-)
Last edited by phil on Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spatialbean

Post by spatialbean » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:17 am

Hi Just Phil,

Glad to see you.

I don't think I follow Tolle blindly. I hope nobody does. I hope they try on what he says and if it doesn't fit they toss it. So far for me it's a good fit. And I listen to him because what he says to do, tho maybe he's not the first to say it, but what he says to do works. I've never felt better in my life.

Yes I bought his book out of need. And now need lives in a whole other place in my life than it used to before I began to practice the way he instructs. It's in the way back of the bus not nagging and torturing me anymore. Or sometimes it's in the front seat and I just sit with it. Or sometimes we wrestle, it just depends.

Love,
me

spatialbean

Post by spatialbean » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:20 am

Hi Summer,

Thanks for the additions, it does help.

Love,
me

Egoicmidget

Post by Egoicmidget » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:29 am

Or are we going to just blindly believe every word some man tells us because he is in some position of self declared authority?
Phil can you show me any where in Tolle's books were he claims this?

Just curious about your source or is it opinion?

Oh and Summer thanks for your explanation I found it very benefical.

be-lank

Post by be-lank » Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:57 am

Phil, I am so happy every time I see that you have posted.

And then I’m left with your post.

We could tweak this topic from SEX to The Sexes.

Talking to you is like talking to my husband- you know the wall.

Sure, you both say very different things, but it’s the same conversation- none!

I don’t know what that thing does to you people, but it really effects the ability to communicate. Males overall- whether social or biological or both, “talk at” instead of “talk with”. And they address bits and pieces, and not the whole. To women, it’s as if they have some sort of brain damage in this department.

There are exceptions of course- like if you are a Master, or Gay, or Heidi’s Partner.

For women, we either get our feelings hurt- with the repercussions that follow, or we have gone over the rainbow and simply give the usual catatonic stare.

But, you would have to have “less” in order to understand what I am talking about. I have no doubt that I lost you on “sex.”

And there is no changing it. This is just an observation.

Personally I have come to accept and enjoy futility.

“I'm trying to step out of a linear dualism and see need in it's wholeness”

Would you look at that sentence. Look at that thought. Do you see any insanity here?

Like “Desire”- “Need” has earned its own topic. Both are related.
Care to run with that?

“It could possibly be useful to point out that there are millions of couples who find each other through mutual need, and live long happy lives together, thanks in part to continuing mutual need. They do so without any knowledge of or reference to the teachings we are discussing here.“

And then they die. And their need for one another is a dash mark between their dates of birth and dates of death.

“Is Tolle a Master? Wouldn't one have to be a Master to know this? Not being a Master myself, I'll leave this question to others who are.”

Pithy, Phil. But yes, the One consciousness in all is what feels, hears, sees, and knows the One consciousness Itself. Consciousness knows Itself. When one looks at Eckhart Tolle, one is looking at Consciousness itself in the form of this man. Like the Christ in Jesus. If consciousness in us is strong enough, it knows this, for it knows Itself. There’s only One Self.

”Kind and gentle ladies, before we accept without question what Krishnamurti, Tolle or any other kind and gentle teacher has to say about relationships, might we not wish to enquire a bit first to see if such teachers have ever once in their life lived with a woman for any period of time?”

Patronizing becomes you, Phil. This presumes that living with a woman for say- Oh, fifty years- gives one an insight into women. Males do not have the ability to know more than a clue about such a delicate, love blossom called woman. And for those males who are truly of God and have never lived with a woman, they know far more about women than the others. For a woman is the heart. And that’s what one has to know. Thus, your premise falls apart- again.

“Or are we going to just blindly believe every word some man tells us because he is in some position of self declared authority?” Poor Phil.

“A discussion of specific practical ways in which a practice of silence could aid a relationship could be a useful addition to this thread. Anybody wish to run with that?”

Okay. How ‘bout you shut up!

Ah--- hear that?

Can we not drop all the garbage and just Be Silent? Noble silence- which is stilling the mind and being quiet too. The practice of silence does not need a thread or a relationship motivator, just be silent.
A few minutes a day of stilled mind and listening to silence and being silent- that is a perfect cure.

Phil, you know we are friends, and that’s why I am writing.

I am trying to step out of a linear dualism and see need in it's wholeness.

And what I see- Phil, you Need to get out of your head!

This will allow consciousness to emerge in you- and then you will know a Master when you see one.

phil

Post by phil » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:15 am

be-lank wrote:Talking to you is like talking to my husband- you know the wall. Sure, you both say very different things, but it’s the same conversation- none!
Luckily, there is a new feature on the board where we longer have to read or reply to any post that doesn't interest us. And scroll bars are still free of charge as always. :-)
Okay. How ‘bout you shut up! Can we not drop all the garbage and just Be Silent?
OK, deal. I can if you can. Next one who posts loses. :-)

Let's give our friends here a break from the Phil and Be-lank title fight, they've been patient with us and deserve a rest.