Smoking!!!

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Smoking!!!

Postby Sandis » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:21 am

I smoke...I dont want to smoke...I still smoke...

Has enybody got rid of this habbit tanks to the awakening...Could you give me some pointers...evry time I feel my iner body and accept the feeling(will to smoke) as it is I dont smoke...sometimes it's around 2 h. Then I realise my ego have come up with a reason to smoke...I havent had a full agreement that I will never smoke again...

What am I owerlooking...there must be somthing that I have missed...

Is my ego afreid to let go???

Or I'm not awake enough...or long enough time...

Am I making it wors at this moment by asking you???

When its about adiction...I find myself strugling...ewrithing outside it is grate...

Thank you!!!
I see you bud...I finaly see you!!!
Sandis

Postby sparks » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:15 am

Hi Sandis,

I havent had a full agreement that I will never smoke again

This part of your post is what stood out the most for me. If I understand you correctly, you're hoping that the inner voice will support your efforts to stop smoking. If this is the case, it won't happen. That voice is doing its job, even though you no longer want it to. It's been said that when it comes to addiction, we're addicted to our thoughts about the thing, not the actual thing. Also, it's what we believe the thing will do for us that is so enticing. I haven't had an issue with smoking, but I have applied this approach to other things and had success with it, so I'll try to describe what I've done and hope it's helpful.

Ok, first be certain in your decision that you want to stop smoking. Then, every thought or urge that comes up and wants you to smoke is not your friend. Picture it as if you have a few people in your head that were your friends and you all got into trouble together. You no longer want this, so you try to separate from your friends. They don't want the fun to end, so they'll keep trying to convince you to come back. They'll try to scare you that you can't handle it without smoking, or that your emotions might explode, or even tempt you with how good it tastes or whatever.

On top of this, there is also the physical reaction to endure, which from what I've heard is uncomfortable to say the least. There might even be some symptoms that you have taken to mean you "need" to smoke or something in your body might "break". How long can you hold out before giving in? Well, when you're not thinking about it, it becomes very easy since it doesn't enter your mind. The problem is when the thoughts start, and what they can trick you into believing.

I found it helpful to write down the reasons my mind came up with about why I should do a certain thing, what safety it gives, or what pain it avoids. This approach goes after the beliefs behind the addiction, and is mostly from The Work of Byron Katie. If you're interested in trying this, I suggest looking at her website and following the instructions while filling out the inquiry worksheet. The method is very simple to apply since all you do is fill out the worksheet and then go through the 4 questions and turnaround on it. http://www.thework.com

Another method is to use Eckhart's approach of reducing the experience to a physical sensation, which he described in the section about Illness in Power of Now. When the craving hits, you feel into the sensations and describe what they feel like...heat, a burning, an emptiness, jagged rock, sharp, dull, etc. During this, you notice what you believe these sensations mean, and then let those thoughts pass and return to the sensations. Usually, it's our stories about what a sensation means that scares us into taking destructive action. You can even challenge the sensations to get as bad as they want, because you are not going to budge one inch. You can stand your ground against the storm and refuse to give in, just to see what happens. One thing I do recommend is reading up on what the detox symptoms are when you stop smoking, that way you'll be more prepared for when they show up. This will at least take the guesswork out of what you're experiencing and allow you to focus more on feeling through it.

The end result of any approach towards ending an addiction, from what I've found, is to disidentify from the thoughts/feelings of the addiction personality. First you start off as a smoker (1st identity). The next step is the smoker who's trying to quit (2nd identity). Finally, there's just you and perhaps some passing thoughts about smoking.

I hope my suggestions help.
sparks

Postby Sandis » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:15 pm

"First you start off as a smoker (1st identity). The next step is the smoker who's trying to quit (2nd identity)."

Thats gold....I'm a nonsmoker...thank you....thoughts of smoking come...I say hello...they wana say somthing...I say...hold on...I need to hear what my inerbody says...I feel my inerbody(3 x deap breaths)...realise that adiction is trying to grab one of the roles or identities to convince me to have a cigaret(means to an end)...I say to the thought of smoking...I cant hear you...Im feeling my inner body...just wait there...and then they leave...

If I'm not wrong thats how I stoped smoking....

funy...

thank you...[/quote]
I see you bud...I finaly see you!!!
Sandis

Postby weopposedeception » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:46 am

I have quit with the help of Nicorette gum, it takes the edge off of any physical withdrawal symptoms from the nicotine. You can get a box of the brand name Nicorette (preferred for taste) 4mg mint, 100 ct, for around $25 on ebay.
weopposedeception

Postby goatboy » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:41 pm

hi

just decide to stop and that´s it.

all that nicorate crud, its just marketing.
stop, when you hear your mind saying, hmm Im going
to buy tobacco- say no!
take responsibility for your actions
goatboy

Postby heidi » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:16 pm

Hi Goatboy - That's pretty much it; when you truly decide to stop, you just do. After 20 years of smoking, I didn't smoke for 20 years, and then lately off and on (more on than off) for the past couple of years, I have been smoking. I know that when I've had enough, I'll just stop again. If you practice hyper consciousness (which I am lazy about right now) you recognize the "thought" and let it pass and choose not to take action; and after a while it just goes away.

When you recognize that addictive voice as not yours (aka chattering monkey), it's easier to just let it go. When it pops in, you can view it kind of like a nagging that you prefer to ignore. Talking the talk is easy, walking the walk is a little harder. And isn't it interesting that SIMPLY NOT DOING something appears to be more difficult than going to all the trouble of doing it?!

Here is a quote that I always have hanging around, from The Red Shoes, from Women Who Run with the Wolves:

Beyond desire and wishing, beyond the carefully reasoned methods we love to talk about and scheme over, there is a simple door waiting for us to walk through. On the other side are new feet. Go there. Crawl if you have to. Stop talking and obsessing. Just do it.

Now one of these days, ha ha ha, I'll take my own advice. :roll:
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby Seancho » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:37 pm

The mind says to you "I am a smoker and Ill always be. Ive tried to quit and failed."

Thats not really true. You smoked cigarettes in the past. You were a smoker. In the past. What you do now is up to you.

The mind says to you "I can never live without cigarettes. All the millions of cigarettes I will want. I cant deny myself all of them."

The truth is, the mind doesnt know what will happen.

Past and future. Thats where the mind lives. Follow the mind into past and future and it will defeat you. Like Sparks is saying, it is this thinking that keeps you addicted. Stay rooted in the present and these thoughts have no power.

Right now in this moment there is nothing aside from sensation. And without the story of past and future, how bad is it really?

So you want a cigarette right now. Good. That means right now there is only one cigarette to quit.

You arent quitting cigarettes, you are declining one cigarette.

Can you give up one cigarette?
If you stop believing in fear, is it still scary?
Seancho

Postby sparks » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:00 pm

Seancho wrote:Right now in this moment there is nothing aside from sensation. And without the story of past and future, how bad is it really?

So you want a cigarette right now. Good. That means right now there is only one cigarette to quit..

Can you quit one cigarette?

Beautiful. During my more awake moments, I can see that there's a difference between pain and suffering.

Pain is the current sensation of discomfort.

Suffering is the thinking about the pain..."when will this ever end?"..."how am I going to face this every day for the rest of my life?"..."it's not fair"..."why am I being punished liked this?"..."it's stronger than me."

Here's one of Burt Harding's descriptions of this:

The mind can take a pleasurable situation and turn it into a daunting task. You might be in love with someone and look forward to getting married, but then the thought comes in "oh my god, how am I going to survive seeing this person every day for the rest of my life?" The mind has taken something enjoyable and turned it into an overwhelming burden. In truth, you only ever see the person one day at a time, and that's all you ever have to aim for..."just today".
sparks

Postby eseward » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:05 pm

Seancho wrote:The truth is, the mind doesn't know what will happen.

How very true; not always obvious, but always so so true (IMO). :)
eseward

Postby eseward » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:10 pm

Burt Harding wrote:but then the thought comes in "oh my god, how am I going to survive seeing this person every day for the rest of my life?"... In truth, you only ever see the person one day at a time, and that's all you ever have to aim for..."just today".

Exactly. And just observing/disidentifying from whatever the current thought/feeling is. :)
eseward

Postby marshall21 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:20 am

Hi Sandis

Since I myself do not smoke, I did not say what to write to you to help you overcome the smoking habit of yours. I was cleaning my closet where I came upon a particluar chapter in a book. here is the link to its online version. Hope it really helps. i cannot say if it will since I could not apply the same thing to myself considering I am a non-smoker, however, I just hope that it guides you in the right direction.

http://tchl.freeweb.hu/commentaries_on_ ... alse'.html

Take care. :)
marshall21

Postby marshall21 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:22 am

Hi

One more thing. Please copy the entire link till "htm" and then paste it in the new brwoser for it to function properly.

Take care.
marshall21

Postby JD » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:34 pm

marshall21 wrote:Hi

One more thing. Please copy the entire link till "htm" and then paste it in the new brwoser for it to function properly.

This is a useful website to shorten URLs you want to post or Email:

http://tinyurl.com/

It shortens yours to:

http://tinyurl.com/38j5l9
JD

Re: Smoking!!!

Postby goslowly » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:39 am

Good evening. I saw the post on smoking and felt I should add my 2 cents.

I had my last cigarrete 12 days ago. 10 years of a pack a day on average. I'm 42. I am the guy who physically looked tremendous, low bodyfat -workouts ...my best cigarrete experience of the day was immediately after working out. I was a true addict , who wore the patch at work to avoid anxiety and withdrawal issues due to no smoking envirement. I am not a worse case scenario , but I think I was pretty bad. 12 days is the longest break from smoking in ten years.
It just so happened, that about 14 days ago I refocused on PON. PON has helped tremendously !

*First, I got the patch , which has helped and I will continue to wear for the 6-8 week period
*Secondly, with a pack now up to $7.50 in Chicago, the $ money does add up --total habit with patch for work was over $250 a month
* I had my last smoke and then put the remainder of pack in water then threw out
* I educated myslef on all the withdrawal issues (readily available on net)
*Smoking addiction is more difficult than heroin withdrawal to break (prepare for it)

*PON did this for me. I allowed the cravings to be as exactly what they were...2-3 minute cravings....I had no fear, when they came I witnessed them but did not act-----In the past I would have said "Oh no, here it comes, this is going to be awful....I better get a smoke"

In my opinion, for myself, I can't progress with PON teachings and then run outside for a smoke---the 2 just dont go together

so far, so good !
goslowly

Re: Smoking!!!

Postby weopposedeception » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:15 am

I can identify, goslowly. I chew the nicorette gum at work rather than run outside. I quit for 13 yrs in the past. Started for another 4yrs, then switched to cigars(inhaled), after 1yr stopped for 6months, now after 1yr I'm going to stop tomorrow. I can feel the damage I'm doing to my lungs with these cigars. To make things worse, I go to the gym everyday, eat healthy, take a lot of supplements. Unfortunately I love to sit on the patio with a coffee and a smoke while I'm reading spiritual material. I hope to post back later a non-smoker. Good luck to you and the others.
weopposedeception

Next

Return to Questions