Smoking!!!

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Re: Smoking!!!

Postby Onceler » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:39 am

Today a doctor friend of mine came to the school for learning disabled students where I work to give a lecture on smoking. He had a big jar of tar which represented one year of smoking @ 1 pack per day. He also had a big jar of two weeks worth of green phlegm coughed up by an emphezema patient. I believe it captured the attention of typically attention deficient students--they were present, at least for a bit.

I envision this mediation, perhaps called "two jars of lung fluid", where one stares at phlegm and tar, much as the Tibetians sit beside corpses and contemplate life, death, decay, and impermanence.

Best of luck to you, weopposedeception, and all the rest. May you have a smoke-free now !

Onceler
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby Melina12 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:28 am

Smoking is a health hazard and has to come to end in one's lifetime; earlier the better. All smokers know that eventually they will have to quit but find it very difficult to do so because of the quit smoking side effects that comes with it. But it is not impossible. What is more difficult than quitting, is the resolve to completely quit. I must emphasize the word COMPLETELY because there is no other half-baked option. Either you smoke or you don't. I was a smoker for 30 odd years and before I finally and completely stopped smoking I spent time on firming up the strength of my resolve to quit. Once you feel your resolve to be strong enough to ear mark a date when you will give it up.

smokeless cigarettes
Melina12

Postby marcoauciello » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:46 am

Hey Sandis.....i can understand your situation because i also faced this kind of situation. Whether you’re a teen smoker or a lifetime pack-a-day smoker, quitting can be tough. But the more you learn about your options and prepare for quitting, the easier the process will be. With the right game plan tailored to your needs, you can break the addiction, manage your cravings, and join the millions of people who have kicked the habit for good.

You should make a plan to stop smoking. Some smokers successfully quit by going cold turkey, most people do better with a plan to keep themselves on track. A good plan addresses both the short-term challenge of quitting smoking and the long-term challenge of preventing relapse. It should also be tailored to your specific needs and smoking habits.

Well you can quit smoke by taking help from a quit smoking organization. I am telling you this because I had also applied this tactic and it really worked for me. They helped me out in quitting smoking which was very difficult for me at one time. They keep indulging you in activities one by one which is helpful for you and to your health related issues. I think you should also try and you will definitely get rid off it.

I can provide you the links of some organizations and rest you can search it out through internet.
http://www.melbournecognitivehypnotherapy.com.au/
http://www.lung.org/stop-smoking/?referrer=https://www.google.co.in/
http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/QuitSmoking/QuittingResources/Resources-for-Quitting-Smoking_UCM_307934_Article.jsp#.Vqn3d_l97IU

marcoauciello

Postby Enlightened2B » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:32 pm

Hi Marcoauciello,

Please check out the date of the post you're responding to. I pointed another poster to this recently. If you look at the top of your post, there is a date next to your username on the post, and also the time of the post. This way, you can know when a post was written and whether the thread is even recent enough to contribute.

The post you are responding to was written in 2007, nor has there been any activity in this thread in many many years, which means this is a very old thread and the OP you are responding to, likely hasn't been on this board in many years either.

Your advice is very valid though and your intention is clear, but likely is not relevant to the OP anymore after almost a decade.

There are many threads which people pick up after years of desertion on general topics. However, if you're responding specifically to a particular poster, it's better to check out the date and time of when that poster made their post, just to see if it's still relevant.

Just wanted to let you know for future reference.
Enlightened2B

Postby deangelo » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:47 pm

Dear all smokers!

My recommendation for stopping to smoke is to read the book: “the Easyway”, by Allen Carr.
When Reading the book, I had never heard about the teaching of ET, nor had I any knowledge or interest in spirituality or mindfulness. However, when writing this post, it occurs to me that the teaching in the “easy way” holds some similarities to the teachings of ET.

The main reason smokers usually fail when trying to stop, is the illusion that cigarettes actually gives them some kind of pleasure. When being a smoker, I strongly believed that smoking made me calmer and gave me confidence.
Furthermore, I was afraid to stop, due to the severe cravings I had experienced in earlier attempts. In addition, like most of the smokers I know. I was convinced that I would manage to stop, sometime in the future, but the present moment, was never the right one.

The teachings of Allen Carr`s Method, is simply to erase your illusions about smoking. In the book, he breaks down the myths smokers tend to believe in, step by step. For instance, he breaks down the myth that smoking makes you calmer and increases concentration. The fact of the matter is that smoking actually decreases your overall concentration and that inhaling nicotine actually increases your blood pressure. Hence, increasing your stress-level. The reason smokers feel some sort of relaxation, when having a cigarette, is simply because the intake of nicotine, removes the cravings for a short period of time. Being a smoker is like walking around with too small shoes, giving you pleasure every time you are able to take them off (having a cigarette).
Furthermore, he gives you a mental picture of smoking being a “monster” inside your body that becomes increasingly aggressive, when deprived of its nutrition (nicotine). When you are able to observe the “monster” for what it really is, the quitting process actually becomes pretty pleasant.

In similarity to the teachings of ET, you first need to accept that smoking/unconscious thinking doesn’t give you anything. When you start to observe the little monster (the nicotine addiction)/unconscious thinking, the need for cigarettes/thinking will slowly disappear.

To summarize: Read the book with an open mind and you will understand that smoking doesn’t add anything positive to your life. Smoking does not make you more calm, it does not make you more confident, it does not increase you concentration, it does not make you more social, it does not make a meal more pleasant, there are no severe withdrawal symptoms, there is no time in the future, where quitting will become more easy. Observe the cravings, and create a mental image of the addiction being a monster becoming increasingly angry when deprived of nicotine. Realize that you are not the monster and take pleasure in observing it starve to death and disappear. Last, but maybe most importantly. When you take your last cigarette, you are already a non-smoker. Congratulations.
deangelo

Previous

Return to Questions