Is letting go of the ego, an act of the ego?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
serenity

Is letting go of the ego, an act of the ego?

Post by serenity » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:36 am

Is it not human to accept that our ego, is part of who we are? Without the ego, we would not have evolved.

By letting go of the ego, we are searching for a sense of wellbeing. But isn't this another form of self gratification?

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:47 am

Serenity wrote:Is it not human to accept that our ego, is part of who we are? Without the ego, we would not have evolved.
You make a good point, from the standpoint of ego as identity. But as that identity, from what have we evolved, and too what are we evolving? Who, in this context, survives long enough to benefit from that evolution?

The problem of ego is ones identification with thoughts and beliefs as an existent being, the belief in which creates a perspective that separates us from the world that is perceived.

The return to clarity, free from the belief in separate identities, is to awaken out of the ego/mind attachment.

By letting go of the ego, we are searching for a sense of wellbeing. But isn't this another form of self gratification?
If one is indeed seeking a sense of wellbeing, over clarity of being, whatever it holds, I would agree with your characterization. However, if one embraces ones pain with the same open acceptance as ones pleasure, then it seems that wellbeing is a natural byproduct, rather than just another artificial state.

kiki

Post by kiki » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:58 am

Is it not human to accept that our ego, is part of who we are? Without the ego, we would not have evolved.
Yes, ego is part of the human expression, but it is not what you are. You can't say it's a part of what you are, but only a manifestation of what happens when you remain ignorant of your true nature and identify with mind activity.

Now, you don't have a mind; mind is present as part of the human expression, too, and it eventually transpires that mental activity creates this idea of a separate entity that gets held in the mind and that then is continually referenced as "me". That "me" then becomes the repository of all stories associated with that "me", thus sustaining the illusion of separation.

I would assert that by awakening to your true nature you are on the cusp of an evolution that wasn't previously possible. Instead of living reactively one lives consciously from presence. Who can say for sure just what that would be like, but we know what it's like while living unconsciously and reactively - just look around. Which do you suppose would be more "evolved"?
Webwanderer's response to this question is right on the mark. I would just like to add a comment.

If you are walking around with a 50 pound pack on your back and you didn't know it was there is it ego gratification to let the pack drop to the ground when you finally discover you were carrying it? Or is it simply shedding something that was keeping you from being alert to what you are without it?

blueviceroy

re ; ego

Post by blueviceroy » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:57 am

MY ego is crafty and hides when I look for it, something like seeing your nose with no mirror. Only the actions of my ego can be let go of, not the ego itself . I dont find truth in loosing ego only the proper use of ego ,like the proper use of mind. ego is like my leg or arm it is part of me but not what I am. I am new to this way of percieving yet it feels so correct like its home

Awareness

Re: Is letting go of the ego, an act of the ego?

Post by Awareness » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:01 am

Evolved to what ? do you mean the insane monster that poisoned the planet, killed thousands of other species, continuously slaughters even its own species in a blood feast throughout history, spreading diseases both
physical and mental keeping an unprecedented misery for itself forever ?
For what ? for some enlightened moments that gave us Mona Lisa and
Parthenon ? i can live happy without them.

Ego was never part of who we are, Ego deliberately implanted to humans
6000 - 10000 years ago to create just what you see happening to planet today, expendable slaves working for an elite and procreating themselves
to a very well designed machine that keeps this vicious cycle.

Ego enslaves, does not evolve nor express neither the physical or the human psyche.

kiki

Post by kiki » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:22 am

blueviceroy wrote:MY ego is crafty and hides when I look for it, something like seeing your nose with no mirror.
Yeah, it can be a slippery little beast, but when looked for it hides. So, what remains when it is looked for?
Only the actions of my ego can be let go of, not the ego itself .
Actions flow and ego takes credit for them. That's how it maintains the illusion of itself.
I dont find truth in loosing ego only the proper use of ego ,like the proper use of mind.
Truth isn't so much "found" since it is already present. When illusion is seen through, when all those things which aren't true are released, what remains is truth right where it always was. It is your essential nature - when that is realized then, as you say, the ego and mind take their proper place.
ego is like my leg or arm it is part of me but not what I am. I am new to this way of percieving yet it feels so correct like its home
Ego has its place as a tool to help negotiate the world of form, just as an arm or leg helps you to maneuver physically, but it is not what you are; it arises out of mind, another tool. When neither are needed one is left clearly cognizant of their true essence - that quiet, still, open awareness in which everything else appears.

That quiet nature is always here even when ego/mind is too, but it tends to get overshadowed by the noisy ego/mind - attention (focused awareness) generally seeks out what is in form. When there is greater familiarity with your true nature, when there is a deeper clarity of "Being", one can see/realize one's true essence even while ego/mind is active.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:45 pm

Awareness wrote:Evolved to what ? do you mean the insane monster that poisoned the planet, killed thousands of other species, continuously slaughters even its own species in a blood feast throughout history, spreading diseases both physical and mental keeping an unprecedented misery for itself forever ?
For what ? for some enlightened moments that gave us Mona Lisa and
Parthenon ? i can live happy without them.
Having a tough day Awareness? That's quite a post. Such cynicism is a beautiful illustration of separation thought structure. Not that it's not accurate, it's just that it's so selective in its choice of evidence to justify that position. For all the pain and suffering there are generous amounts of beauty, love and compassion

Would you so condemn yourself for a bad dream? Maybe while still dreaming, but once awakening occurs and clarity returns, a dream is seen as the temporary thought form that it is. Can it be so different on the scale of the infinite? A lifetime of such a temporary nature in an eternal existence seems quite small.

Just because one is unable to see how death and destruction contributes to the purposes of the infinite, doesn't mean its methods are flawed. It is well to be open to the understanding that, as there is but One Life in the universe, shared by all expressions in form, whatever experience occurs within that form, is ultimately known by that One Essential life.

These imagined separate existences we know as egos that we assign names to, are but ideas about life as a separate identity. And those ideas of a separate self have no more eternal existence than that of the being you dreamed you were as you slept.

There is much in life that is beautiful. It is quite possible that everything in life is beautiful if we but fully understood it. It is certain however that the more one judges in life as wrong, the more isolated from greater understanding one becomes. We can't know from the smallness of ego/mind the purposes of the infinite. The mind, and sense of separate self, is but content within the awareness of being. That mind may toil away at analysis, but knowing is beyond its ability.

The best one may do is to be the open and honest observer. It is a tried and true "path" to understanding beyond appearances.

Awareness

Post by Awareness » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:13 am

It is kinda post hijack to go on with this
but i didn't say there is a flaw anywhere,
i just said evolving - expressing does not depend on Ego,
quite the opposite, Ego sabotages both.