Dissociated thoughts?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Ann

Dissociated thoughts?

Post by Ann » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:02 pm

Hello,

I am a newcomer and first-time participant and much appreciate finding this ready-made group of sharers alreay well along the way. My first question has to do with processing recognized dissociated thoughts as I observe them. Since thoughts are thoughts after all, I have been noting to myself that this or that particular thoughts is a "dissociated thought" and continuing to observe it as I would any other thought even though it certainly is distinctly different.

In addition, I continue a bit further and include painbody awareness in my observation since I tend to connect dissociated thoughts more directly with the painbody than I do other thoughts. And yet both clearly arise from egoic parts of the mind.

Never having had the opportunity to try to discuss this point before, I am hoping someone more seasoned than I in the practices of this teaching may be able to share how they have dealt with such inner experience in terms of noticing and observing both in and out of formal meditation.

Thanks for being there! Ann

kiki

Post by kiki » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:23 pm

Hello Ann, and welcome to the board.
My first question has to do with processing recognized dissociated thoughts as I observe them.
Could you clarify what you mean by "dissociated thoughts"?
Since thoughts are thoughts after all, I have been noting to myself that this or that particular thoughts is a "dissociated thought" and continuing to observe it as I would any other thought even though it certainly is distinctly different.
Well, whatever arises observe it. No need to label what kind of thought it is.
In addition, I continue a bit further and include painbody awareness in my observation since I tend to connect dissociated thoughts more directly with the painbody than I do other thoughts. And yet both clearly arise from egoic parts of the mind.
Again, just observe what is presently arising. Now, what is it that notices it all? Has that been touched or affected in any way? Can you sense that there is simply a still, silent, open awareness taking it all in? That is what you are, everything else is content within it. You are the container of the content, the open unbounded awareness that is silent, peaceful, and still.

Edited to add: in or out of formal meditation, the process is the same - simply observe what arises. Return again and again to the immediacy of what's actually happening when you discover that you've become lost in thought. Let your attention go into the inner body, or into the raw inflow of sensory input - this will help reduce attention on mental activity, which tends to lead you into story lines and conditioned thinking. It's that conditioned thinking that creates "problems" where there really are none.
Last edited by kiki on Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ann

Could you clarify what you mean by "dissociated thought

Post by Ann » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:21 pm

Dear Kiki,

Thank you for responding so promptly! In response to your question:

"Could you clarify what you mean by 'dissociated thoughts'?"

Dissociated thoughts are the thoughts of a dissosicated part of the personality and are overheard by the main personality. Such thoughts are not experienced as either "voices" or as regular thoughts but as the thoughts of a dissociated personality part. Since these dissociated parts are generally caused by trauma, I think that they will likely be connected directly with the pain body. I do want to make it clear that these thoughts are distinctly different from regular thoughts or memories. Certainly, many who have had the experience of dissociated parts will know immediately what I am talking about. Those who have not will simply not.

Thank you for your other comments. I have printed them out and will be studying them as I proceed. Looking forward to learning from all the great comments ont he site.

Ann

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:21 pm

Hi Ann, welcome to our forum.

The only real distinction I see between "dissociated thoughts" and other random thoughts is the emotional charge that accompanies them. You have linked dissociated thoughts with the painbody which is a subconscious repository of emotionally charged fears and concepts.

In viewing random thoughts of mind, there is little physical sensation that accompanies the observation. The painbody content however, being more emotional in composition, is observed more sensually, or experientially. Neither should be judged as right or wrong, nor resisted as the energy flows, but only observed from a sense of an accepted, but temporary experience. In time, if the energy is not replenished by justifying internal stories, the painbody will deplete itself, giving peace a chance to reign.
Ann wrote:My first question has to do with processing recognized dissociated thoughts as I observe them. Since thoughts are thoughts after all, I have been noting to myself that this or that particular thoughts is a "dissociated thought" and continuing to observe it as I would any other thought even though it certainly is distinctly different.
It is important to realize that it is still the mind/ego that seeks to find answers that fit some presently functioning worldview. Clarity of being exists beyond any worldview structure of a concept oriented ego/mind. At best one may find some alignment with ones fundamental nature through mental efforts; but ultimately, it is in alert silence that understanding will grow.