how can I not be plagued by the mind?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
blueviceroy

how can I not be plagued by the mind?

Post by blueviceroy » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:24 pm

My mind is like a big hairy monster that likes to own everything. People possesions experiences my true identity and I was wondering what tools the mind has that I could use to help moderate its constant creep for control over reality. Perhaps after seeking for so long that which was already here I am still seeking it I dont know LOL!
I know the mind is meant to be used in understanding the world it identifies for us, how can I keep it from identifying what is within me ? Am I fearful of this understanding being lost? YES I'v seen only a little peak into what we are and hunger for more ,am I not ready?
What is helpful in attain a more perfect awareness that I as a newly aware can practice?

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:19 pm

blueviceroy wrote: I know the mind is meant to be used in understanding the world it identifies for us, how can I keep it from identifying what is within me ?
I'm not sure stopping the mind from doing what the mind does will necessarily take you to the promissed land. Rather than stopping the mind, which is a herculean task, learn to recogize it in action. Once it is understood that mind is relentless in its chatter, creating beliefs about its own identity along the way, recognition of genuine being may dawn. As this recognition deepens, identifying thoughts become easily seen as they develop, and in the light of this recognition, tend to dissolve as quickly as they form.

It is all about clear seeing. Recognition of beliefs, and the emotions that support them, undercuts their ability to crystalize into identitying attachments.

That is why we talk so much here about observing thought. Once one can recognize the identifyer, freedom from attachment to it is a matter of releasing the concepts it (ego/mind) creates.