What to do Next?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
as.it.is

What to do Next?

Post by as.it.is » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:07 am

I find myself with not a clue of what to do next when I practice the now,

I'm feeling my inner body , I observe my thoughts,I'm alert with the silence ,I even sense what arises, I accept the present moment and it feels sacred .

but what to do? I accept that I don't know what to do next . and still nothing happens...

Could it be that I haven't really accepted that I really don't know what to do next or do I have some unconcious expectation that I must be doing something or something has to happen on top of my practice.

Please help.
When you awake it will be your biggest regret.

kiki

Post by kiki » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:31 am

as.it.is wrote:I find myself with not a clue of what to do next when I practice the now,

I'm feeling my inner body , I observe my thoughts,I'm alert with the silence ,I even sense what arises, I accept the present moment and it feels sacred .

but what to do? I accept that I don't know what to do next . and still nothing happens...
You are doing fine. When you are fully present there is nothing driving you to do anything. If you are expecting something different, then that is ego, that is "doing". Recognize this egoic need for something to happen - that recognition of doing allows the doing to drop away. If there is some idea that something "should" happen then that is more entanglement within the mind created ego.

Keep in mind that when you are consciously present there are no more needs, no more ego driven doing going on to get something because ego has abated. Remain there and deepen the familiarity with your essential nature. This state of presence is a state of not knowing anything in particular, it is just "knowingness" itself - it is just the wide open awareness of Being taking everything in.

blueviceroy

whats next?

Post by blueviceroy » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:36 am

I dont think we are suposed to do anything next remember there should be no next if I understand correctly
I am feeling we must meditate and understand who wants to know whats next is it you or something else?
I think that meditation even in momentary stretches is benificial to that end of answering the what next
I am certain that the eternal within us can give us what we need all the time if we can just keep it upermost in our proccesses
I have no next I just anticipate a greater understanding of me
The casting off of selfish desires is paramount to our understanding sourselves which is why we exist anyway Im certain it is to recognise ourselves like a big freakin game of peekaboo
Meh what do I know anyway I'm just a noob
I believe finding the eternal within me was all I ever desired and all the things I sought were just ignorant graspings
And now finding complete conectedness in myself and the rest of the world is what I am striving for.

kiki

Post by kiki » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:01 am

blueviceroy wrote:I dont think we are suposed to do anything next remember there should be no next if I understand correctly
That's right. "Next" implies time - in presence time ceases to exist.
I am feeling we must meditate and understand who wants to know whats next is it you or something else?
Meditation may be helpful but it isn't essential. Besides, "who" feels we "must" meditate? Recognize the wanting/expecting/ needing is ego driven. Find out if ego is real or not and then see what happens to wants, needs, expectations. Understanding arises out of source, out of your essential nature. Let it be your teacher.
I think that meditation even in momentary stretches is benificial to that end of answering the what next
Meditate if you are drawn to it, but leave expectation out of it. Look for nothing to happen.
I am certain that the eternal within us can give us what we need all the time if we can just keep it upermost in our proccesses
I agree. It is the eternal that draws us out of unconsciousness into the light of what we really are. At some point it cannot be resisted anymore and all that matters is remaining conscious of our true nature because nothing else satisfies the way it does. This doesn't mean that you become a monk or hermit and don't perform action; it just means that you no longer look to form to give satisfaction/ peace/ fulfillment/ meaning.
The casting off of selfish desires is paramount to our understanding sourselves which is why we exist anyway Im certain it is to recognise ourselves like a big freakin game of peekaboo
Peekaboo is fun when you know it's a game. That's what presence does, reveal the play of consciousness. When you don't know it's a game everything is taken very seriously.
Meh what do I know anyway I'm just a noob
Being a "noob" doesn't disqualify you from having great insight and deep experiences of presence. I think you are doing great.
I believe finding the eternal within me was all I ever desired and all the things I sought were just ignorant graspings
This is what the great sages say, too. You are in good company.
And now finding complete conectedness in myself and the rest of the world is what I am striving for.
You are closer than you think.