Staying in or Entering the Now while Using the Mind

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
locality

Staying in or Entering the Now while Using the Mind

Post by locality » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:26 am

Hi Folks,

As I mentioned in the introduction section, I started using using the PON about 9 months ago. I got away from it for a few months but took it up again when I tired of suffering. I am excited because recently I have been finding it easier and easier to enter the Now and stay there for longer periods with a much more intense sense of presence. However, I have a job where I have to use my mind almost continually to solve physics and math problems, write computer code, and do other mind-intensive research activities. This makes it difficult for me to remain present at work, let alone enter the Now when I am not already there. Sometimes when I get to work I am present, but invariably within a few hours I am not. Then my mind starts causing trouble :twisted: .

Would you have any advice? How can I use my mind for 8-10 hours per day in absorbing mental activities without losing myself in it? I feel like if I could just get over this hump, it would be a major breakthrough.

Thanks for your time.

locality

suraj

Re: Staying in or Entering the Now while Using the Mind

Post by suraj » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:04 am

As I understand it, the part of the mind which is engaged in intellectual activities is is the 'intellect' which is not the 'mind activity ' which ET refers to. I am also a software engineer , and I don't think doing complex mental works hinders the NOW. Am i fully into the work while am I doing it? That's the key.
Do you think meditating 8-10 hrs a day would be easier than writing program codes 10 hrs a day :)
I AM

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:42 pm

There are two aspects to awakening. One is spending "time" in thought free presence. It seems you have some understanding of this through experience. The other is recognition of ego/mind and its entrancing stories in action. One must develop an alertness for these stories as they pop up. Part of this alertness comes from a growing familiarity with clear presence. But you can also develop reminders. "TIe a sting around you finger" to remember what you are and who you are not. Well something like that. Create some recognizable mental hooks to remind you to pause mental activity and frequently return to clear presence. Pick some repetive task that occurs during your day and link a reminder with it to pause in clarity. Or place something on your desk that reminds you of the Natural State of awareness.

It's important that you don't beat yourself up for slipping back into ego/mind perspective. Such self condemnation is just more ego solidifying its condition. There's nothing wrong with living as ego, it's just not as much fun.

dubhasa

Post by dubhasa » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:48 pm

Webwanderer wrote:There are two aspects to awakening. One is spending "time" in thought free presence.
Thanks Webwanderer for a great pointer. I needed that.

coriolis

Post by coriolis » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm

I also write software for a living and find that my work and being present do not conflict at all. In fact my work is a great gateway to presence when I give my full attention to it, pour myself into it, lose myself in it, and flow along with it. Things start happening almost without effort in a field of intense, yet immensely peaceful, attention. It's no different really than sitting in a beautiful, natural setting and being "present". Presence is allowing yourself to fully "be" in the "space" of the present moment regardless of what content may appear or disappear in that "space".

By thinking that your work is an obstacle to presence you are, in effect, denying the NOW by wishing it to be other than it is or looking for a way to make it different than it is.
The egoic mind is tricky that way. But using one's mind outside the context of a "mind made me" is an exercise in presence. Watch the "mind-made me" with simplicity, patience, and compassion. In pure, simple awareness you cannot be sucked into the desire/fear paradigm whose restlessness will always make you dissatisfied with the present moment by redirecting attention through that vast maze of thoughts, assumptions, felt and unfelt emotions, convictions, theories, and ideas that comprise a "mind made me" --- an instance of universal egoic mind that has been a human disease for a very long time. Seeing this "me" for what it actually is -- not fighting it, denying it, or trying to destroy it -- has been, in my experience, prerequisite for "being present" more than anything else.
Look deeply inside yourself and try to find yourself.
The ensuing failure is the true finding
---- Wu Hsin

dubhasa

Post by dubhasa » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:15 pm

coriolis wrote: Presence is allowing yourself to fully "be" in the "space" of the present moment regardless of what content may appear or disappear in that "space".

By thinking that your work is an obstacle to presence you are, in effect, denying the NOW by wishing it to be other than it is or looking for a way to make it different than it is.
Beautiful Coriolis. You should write more on this board.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:20 pm

I agree, an excellent post expressing clear insight. Loved it.

Absorbtion into the content of the moment does not necessarily represent loss of presence. It is the assumption that there is a separate person believed to be "me" controling activity, that causes the loss of presence awareness.

Upon completion of a task (such as at work) where one had been presently absorbed, where does consciousness refocus? For most it's back to a sense of "me". But for those who are cognizant of awakening, a return to the habitual me sense is no longer automatic. One may become absorbed in whatever is present without perceiving through the identy of me. To do so makes the moment all the richer.

kiki

Post by kiki » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:44 pm

Webwanderer wrote:Upon completion of a task (such as at work) where one had been presently absorbed, where does consciousness refocus? For most it's back to a sense of "me". But for those who are cognizant of awakening, a return to the habitual me sense is no longer automatic. One may become absorbed in whatever is present without perceiving through the identy of me. To do so makes the moment all the riche
Beautifully stated, Webwanderer - it's worth repeating, hence the quote. And thank you, coriolis, for a great post.

k
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

locality

Post by locality » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:24 pm

Thanks so much for your suggestions and ideas. I will give them a try.

locality