Why do we do it?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
seekerjon

Why do we do it?

Post by seekerjon » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:21 pm

Well after a morning of worrying while at work, worrying about if I am doing this whole consicousness thing right or if I am doing it wrong and being with the pain that comes with that thought. After a couple hours the pain finally subsided and felt more calm. I then started thinking why worry? I mean why do we put ourselves through so much pain by worrying, by being angry, being unhappy and so on. Why create these thoughts in our mind that just bring us so much pain? I mean it is insane. I realize that a thought is only important because of the emotion that comes a long with it once we ride that emotion and it passes it seems its just not so important anymore.

D'ray

Re: Why do we do it?

Post by D'ray » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:55 pm

yeah it's really weird. Some people complain all the time how mizerable their life is. But still they don't do anything to improve it. They like the attention that they get from being the victim.

I have once said to this kind of person when she was complaining, that you really must like it, otherwise you wouldn't speak about it. It was funny what kind of reaction she got. "No I don't like it" then she fueled up some about it.......

sorry for the bad grammar, im in a hurry
There's no "I" to become enlightened. The "I" can have spiritual experiences.

DON'T resist the RESISTANCE! The resistance is there. Walk into it. Feel it. Become one with it.

Kutso

Post by Kutso » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:44 pm

I agree with you both. And actually I find that I do not take most things seriously anymore. Angry feelings subside quickly. Feelings of anxiety too.
I'm doing some wrestling with one feeling though, the feeling of boredom. I find it really hard to accept it. It doesn't matter how much I "feel" this feeling, being present with it. It doesn't seem to go away. Really frustrating at some times. This mostly happens at work, cause my work is really monotome.
Oh well, I guess it acceptence will come if I just keep at it.

Kutso
Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that.

astaroth

Post by astaroth » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:29 pm

ever tried to be as bored as you can?

asta
...you might remember me from such educational films as "Zen for couch-potatoes - The wisdom of never doing anything" or "Buddha from da hood - Was he a brother?"

tikey

Post by tikey » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:39 pm

Kutso wrote: the feeling of boredom. I find it really hard to accept it. It doesn't matter how much I "feel" this feeling, being present with it. It doesn't seem to go away. Really frustrating at some times.

Kutso
Actually everytime I managed to stay present I couldn't be bored... so much going on... but that's only my opinion...
Im just a cloudless sky :)

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:46 pm

Kutso wrote:I agree with you both. And actually I find that I do not take most things seriously anymore. Angry feelings subside quickly. Feelings of anxiety too.
I'm doing some wrestling with one feeling though, the feeling of boredom. I find it really hard to accept it. It doesn't matter how much I "feel" this feeling, being present with it. It doesn't seem to go away. Really frustrating at some times. This mostly happens at work, cause my work is really monotome.
Oh well, I guess it acceptence will come if I just keep at it.

Kutso
Ever just try to simply focus on the task at hand and do it with "quality" and with your full attention? I do this with household chores...really try to feel the warm water, listen to the sound of running water and the clink of the glasses, and be aware of intrusive thoughts. It's hard for me, but when I am in the zone, it works.

My image is an old zen guy in a quiet garden raking gravel with his full attention...and maybe an autumn leaf falling here and there.
Be present, be pleasant.

Kutso

Post by Kutso » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:36 pm

astaroth wrote:ever tried to be as bored as you can?
That really doesn't work for me.
Onceler wrote:Ever just try to simply focus on the task at hand and do it with "quality" and with your full attention?
Yeah, well that works most of the time, even at work. This one I actually practice all the time, though at work it's really hard. Even though it works, it doesn't work for long.

Thanks anyway. I'm gonna continue with this. Hey, how bad is boredom anyway? It's not like it's the end of the world or something like that. :lol:
Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that.

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:58 pm

I like the way Zen and the Art of Motercycle Maintenance explores the notion of "quality". I suspect quality is synonymous with presence and the now and makes boredom irrelevant.

As I age I often feel "bored", but I think it is a dulling of the senses from layers of calcified experience (pain, emotions and thought/emotion constructs habituated into feedback loops). As these fall away, things seem fresher?
Be present, be pleasant.