Do All of Eckhart Tolle's Works Refreshingly Exclude Dogma?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Daniel

Do All of Eckhart Tolle's Works Refreshingly Exclude Dogma?

Post by Daniel » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:50 pm

Greetings…

I’m very happy to have come across several of Eckhart Tolle’s works, including “The Power Of Now,” “Practicing The Power Of Now,” “The Power Of Not Knowing” (video), and an audio, “Lasting Happiness.” To call them ‘crystal clear’ would be an understatement; indeed, they are all “non-technique techniques”, allowing one (if ready) to experience Presence…

The PON’s book cover relates that “Eckhart is not aligned with any particular religion or tradition.” His works appear to most closely express the teachings of Advaita, although awakened Buddhists, Sufis, Christians, and others similarly echo E.T., albeit not quite as eloquently! :wink:

Does Mr. Tolle purposely refrain from discussing reincarnation, heaven & hell, soul, etc., etc., since they are products of metaphysical speculation; i.e., products of the mind? The lack of dogma in the works cited above is certainly refreshing, and his message is clearly Universal--no pun intended!

Thanks!

Daniel

"Row, row, row your boat
Gently down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
Life is but a dream."

L. Bryson

Post by L. Bryson » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:43 pm

Hi Daniel,

My perception of Tolles work is, I beleive, more from a physcological perspective. A " we are what we think" and we do " create " our own reality, ( experience's ) in the now. I am still very new to Tolle's teachings but his practice's are not really new, ....old wine, new bottles! :)

Using our ego mind as a tool, not as an expression of the whole.

Welcome..... L.
L. Bryson

heidi

Post by heidi » Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:15 am

Does Mr. Tolle purposely refrain from discussing reincarnation, heaven & hell, soul, etc., etc., since they are products of metaphysical speculation
Well, the trying to decide what the hell is going to happen to you when you die or what you were before is very unpresent and not useful!

Yes, using the mind as a tool and knowing when it's not needed for service is a very good thing which brings us to a state that is so divinely present.
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

phil

Post by phil » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:21 am

heidi wrote:Well, the trying to decide what the hell is going to happen to you when you die or what you were before is very unpresent and not useful!
Well, like you always say Heidi, that is a mouthful.

I'd agree with you to the extent that none of us can know the details of what happens next, so trying to figure out the details is at best maybe entertaining, and not much more.

And OK, it's unpresent. But it's a very human thing to do, and we are human, so maybe part of "accepting what is" could involve not resisting the enquiry entirely, even if in the end it's pointless.

But what I really wanted to contribute is the suggestion that having a positive relationship with death is a pretty big deal that merits more than a dismissal.

Yes, death is in the future. But the relationship we have with it is not, eh?

And no, it doesn't have to be an analytical mind trip.

A positive relationship with death can arise out of an understanding that we just can't "figure it out". That understanding can open the door to faith.

Faith is a gift that comes, or doesn't, as best I can tell.

Personally I experience faith as a gift from dead relatives, but that's just a way to describe a feeling. That little story works for me, but I'm not selling it to anybody else.

My guess is we can't work our way to faith, but we can open the door and hope it works it's way to us.

Another guess is that our mind avoiding now so relentlessly has a lot to do with an avoidance of death.

I see nothing wrong with getting down on ones knees from time to time and asking for a bit of help in that department.

Now will still be here when we're done.

Zenguy

Re: Do All of Eckhart Tolle's Works Refreshingly Exclude Dog

Post by Zenguy » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:29 pm

Daniel wrote:Greetings…

Does Mr. Tolle purposely refrain from discussing reincarnation, heaven & hell, soul, etc., etc., since they are products of metaphysical speculation; i.e., products of the mind? The lack of dogma in the works cited above is certainly refreshing, and his message is clearly Universal--no pun intended!

Thanks!

Daniel

Life is but a dream."
I think hes pointing to the universal truth in such a way (being free of beliefs) that everybody, even the most skeptical people can glimpse the truth that he is putting foreward, because its proven with there everday experience.

If you read closely you can see how he supports life after death, and rebirth and Gia - earth being a living form; though doesnt elaborate.