How Do You Let Go?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
renaissance

How Do You Let Go?

Post by renaissance » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:26 am

I've come to realize I"m driven by the quest. I must know the answer, and I must learn more. There's always something more. I never get to it, because there's always more. I know I need to just let go, and my awakening will happen. The problem is I don't know how to let go. I can't just let it be. I can't surrender to what is. And then I go hard on myself for not letting go.

I'm doing it right now, I'm searching for the answers, I'm looking for more.

Logically it makes sense and I know the truth; but it doesn't play out that way. Just let go. I know it, but I continue to search.

Please offer any advice, experience, etc, that I could benefit from. Thanks,
-Renaissance

astaroth

Re: How Do You Let Go?

Post by astaroth » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:57 am

I've come to realize I"m driven by the quest. I must know the answer, and I must learn more. There's always something more. I never get to it, because there's always more. I know I need to just let go, and my awakening will happen
Consciousness - what you really are - doesn't prefer letting go over not letting go. What makes a judgment of "not letting go" is the mind-made self, the ego, the "me", whatever you call it. In fact, the ego traps itself by forcing itself to let go. Because it can't. It will continue doing it's job: creating stories, making a judgment out of everything, blaming itself and othrs for it and so on... The false self can't let go.
Only realize one thing. Because you are consciousness itself, you can let the false self do what it likes because it has nothing to do with what you really. See these thoughts, the stories about the "spiritual progess" you have been talking about, that "me" inside us that wants so hard to let go and then be fullfilled. Just egoic tricks! See these stories not as something personal, something that has to do with you - because they don't! If you make thoughts to "your thoughts" ego has tricked you once again to buy it's story.
Just see it arising in your field of consciousness like you would see the cars passing by on the street. Both have to do the same with what you really are. If you go to a museum and some of the pictures are ugly, do you really suffer about it? Isn't that freedom? 8)
Allow yourself not to let go. :wink:

blessings,
astaroth
...you might remember me from such educational films as "Zen for couch-potatoes - The wisdom of never doing anything" or "Buddha from da hood - Was he a brother?"

kiki

Post by kiki » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:55 pm

The problem is I don't know how to let go.
If it's a "problem", look to see how "hanging on" is maintained. What is hanging on? "Hanging on" is only accomplished by the ego, which is only a phantom, an illusion. So what are those things, those strategies which mind/ego uses to create and then hang on to a separate sense of self? When there is the seeing of those things arise as they arise, the opportunity presents itself not to get hooked into them anymore. When there is recognition of them in midstream of their arrival freedom is at hand.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:31 pm

renaissance wrote:I've come to realize I"m driven by the quest. I must know the answer, and I must learn more.
Do you seek answers, or understanding? Consider where, and with what, you are seeking. So long as you seek definitive, logical knowledge by efforts of analytical mind in a world of books and discussion, the clear awareness of present being will remain in an imagined future.

Knowledge is useful as pointers, but direct experience is what brings realization and understanding. Silence of mind, open to what is in this eternal now, is the field in which clear understanding dawns.

Follow what pointers may help guide you to this clear presence and rest here in this now openly. This is a great place to "be".

D'ray

Post by D'ray » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:21 pm

Who is the one who wants to let go? Can you feel "it" telling stories that you are not quite there yet? There is witness who sees this happening. Don't believe the stories that your mind makes up. Only listen and feel them when they arise. You are not lost, your mind only wants attention ;)
There's no "I" to become enlightened. The "I" can have spiritual experiences.

DON'T resist the RESISTANCE! The resistance is there. Walk into it. Feel it. Become one with it.

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:39 pm

I have found it helpful to ask, "what is it that wants to let go?", rather than "who". Asking "who" only reinforces the notion that the ego is me, a "who". I think thought/emotional constructs are more like a phantom or even a movie. A movie is not a "who".

Another question I ask is "where" do these _____________ come from?

Don't mean to imply this has lead me to any great realization, it just tweaks the question; adds some distance for me...
Be present, be pleasant.

kiki

Post by kiki » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:35 am

Nice clarity Onceler.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

renaissance

Post by renaissance » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:07 am

Webwanderer wrote:
renaissance wrote:I've come to realize I"m driven by the quest. I must know the answer, and I must learn more.
Do you seek answers, or understanding? Consider where, and with what, you are seeking. So long as you seek definitive, logical knowledge by efforts of analytical mind in a world of books and discussion, the clear awareness of present being will remain in an imagined future.

Knowledge is useful as pointers, but direct experience is what brings realization and understanding. Silence of mind, open to what is in this eternal now, is the field in which clear understanding dawns.

Follow what pointers may help guide you to this clear presence and rest here in this now openly. This is a great place to "be".
I feel like I seek understanding, because that will give me the answers. The more knowledge I gather on something, the better I can "solve" it.

I think we may differ on the meaning of understanding.
-Renaissance

renaissance

Post by renaissance » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:13 am

D'ray wrote:Who is the one who wants to let go? Can you feel "it" telling stories that you are not quite there yet? There is witness who sees this happening. Don't believe the stories that your mind makes up. Only listen and feel them when they arise. You are not lost, your mind only wants attention ;)
I feel like it's me. I want to let go. I feel like it's my/the answer. But I treat it like every other "answer." The ego wants to hold on. Or maybe, it wants to let go, or at least strive towards "letting go" because it gives meaning. I don't know.

I feel lost.

How do I separate "me" from "ego"? Why the separation in the first place? Who's who? It's all me inside. I create my ego, therefore it is part of me.

I know deep down that I need to let go. I know it. It's truth. I can't strive towards it.

I'm being pulled in two directions on many different planes. The more I stretch towards release, the more I move away from it.
-Renaissance

renaissance

Post by renaissance » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:18 am

kiki wrote:
The problem is I don't know how to let go.
If it's a "problem", look to see how "hanging on" is maintained. What is hanging on? "Hanging on" is only accomplished by the ego, which is only a phantom, an illusion. So what are those things, those strategies which mind/ego uses to create and then hang on to a separate sense of self? When there is the seeing of those things arise as they arise, the opportunity presents itself not to get hooked into them anymore. When there is recognition of them in midstream of their arrival freedom is at hand.

Good point. Letting go, or acceptance, is not active, and I can't treat it as such. It's not adding something; rather it's awareness of what's already there (self-rejecting behaviours) and subtracting them. The book I'm reading "Emotional Clearing" talks to extent about this.

The answers are abundant. I already know everything I need. I always did. But I'm still blocked.
-Renaissance

no won

Post by no won » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:07 am

If I were told to give quality time to a child, a partner, a pet, would I know how to do it. I would give of myself without expecting, wanting, hoping, or even Thinking of myself and what "i" can get out of it. Its Love giving Love unconditionally, where is the 'me" to do this or get in the way with wants etc. In this way give "yourself" to the Self just by observing what is. No wants or judgements or labeling no fear of future just "this" quality Now-ness, Love giving Love to Love unconditionally, no effort required.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:17 pm

renaissance wrote:The answers are abundant. I already know everything I need. I always did. But I'm still blocked.
Take a moment to experience the moment...this moment. That is, let go of whatever knowledge there is that defines what you currently see/experience/sense. Take a couple of deep breaths and rest in open observation of whatever this moment offers. Analyze nothing, label nothing. See the content of your world with new "eyes". If/when thoughts arise, gently let them go and return to thought free awareness of this now moment. Rest here awhile and allow familiarity of timeless being to return. The mind is incapable of direct experience. It cannot know presence. You are the space in which form appears. Sense it. Return "here" often. You will soon recognize this Natural State as home.

kiki

Post by kiki » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:30 pm

Nice response, no won.
renaissance wrote:How do I separate "me" from "ego"? Why the separation in the first place? Who's who? It's all me inside. I create my ego, therefore it is part of me.
Me IS ego - the separate sense of self is what is called "me". It develops over time from infancy and gets identified with. A child has a natural openness where nothing is separate, but she/he is "taught" and conditioned by others that they are separate and distinct and that belief becomes unconsciously accepted. Because it's unconsciously accepted it is rare for someone later in life to even think to question this unconscious belief. Ramana's self-enquiry is to take that unconscious belief and shine the light of awareness on it to see if it is true or not. "What am I?" is a way of turning awareness back onto itself rather than on the content of the mind. When it's discovered that you are the awareness behind it all, the unconscious belief in "me" falls away and you are left in simple alert open awareness where separation dissolves.
I can't strive towards it.

I'm being pulled in two directions on many different planes. The more I stretch towards release, the more I move away from it.
That's right, you can't strive toward truth because that striving is done by ego/me itself. Stretching, moving away, or whatever effort is employed to get rid of ego is egoically driven - it's the "me" that wants to get rid of itself to get truth, and that isn't possible. But truth is what you are, you ARE it, so any striving toward it only serves to obstruct its presence. Just stop everything and it will reveal itself. The "stopping" happens spontaneously as recognition of ego and its movement is spotted by awareness/ consiousness. Using the portals can be useful because they divert attention out of mind and away from ego and into something else. This gives you the chance to suddenly realize that "You" aren't what's in the mind, but are in fact the witnessing consciousness. It's not as though the portal "gives" you the truth of what you are; rather, they lead you to the opportunity to realize it is already here. That witnessing consciousness is the truth of what you are, and that is sometimes called the Self (capital S), and that's why this is sometimes called "Self-realization".

Edited to add: If my response is confusing just reread Webwanderer's very good post. It's very practical and to the point (he is a master at that).
---

coriolis

Post by coriolis » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:08 pm

renaissance wrote:I've come to realize I"m driven by the quest. I must know the answer, and I must learn more. There's always something more. I never get to it, because there's always more. I know I need to just let go, and my awakening will happen. The problem is I don't know how to let go. I can't just let it be. I can't surrender to what is. And then I go hard on myself for not letting go.

I'm doing it right now, I'm searching for the answers, I'm looking for more.

Logically it makes sense and I know the truth; but it doesn't play out that way. Just let go. I know it, but I continue to search.

The same post from a different perspective?

This ride driven by the quest. Answers come , more answers come. Questions come, more questions come.There's always something more. Let go, and awakening happens with nobody for it to happen to. There is no one who needs to know how to let go, so there is no problem. Let be. Surrender to what is. And then go easy on the presence of your absence.
It's happening right now, Answers are searching for questioners, areas of abundance are flowing into areas of scarcity.

There is nobody to make sense to--no entity to impress with some monolithic truth; it is as it is. Just let go. No one knows it, no one searches for it. There is nothing to find because there is nobody to look.
Look deeply inside yourself and try to find yourself.
The ensuing failure is the true finding
---- Wu Hsin