How to You Observe Thought?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
renaissance

How to You Observe Thought?

Post by renaissance » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:09 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the support from my last topic. I've found it easier to enter the moment since then.

Once thing I'm still unsure of is the notion of observing thought. Whenever I try, I end up adding more thought. i seem to observe the thought with my ego, not my consciousness. I think I don't understand what is meant by observing thought. Can somebody enlighten me? Thanks,
-Renaissance

weopposedeception

Re: How to You Observe Thought?

Post by weopposedeception » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:21 am

Get very curious about it. Like a biologist observing some rare species for the first time.

Shaz

Post by Shaz » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:51 am

To observe your thought is to pay attention to and listen to what you are thinking. Often times, our thoughts are unconscious - in other words, we are not aware of what we think. Try listening to the dialog which is going on in your head. Then try to realize that even though these thoughts are happening, YOU are simply observing them. The Observer is the Real you. Once you are LISTENING to this dialog in the head, you are in the NOW - you are in the present moment. And you will soon realize that this dialog is NOT who you are. Many people think that they are their thoughts. However, we are the space in which everything occurs (even our thoughts).
...everything is everything, and nothing's nothing...

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:05 pm

Shaz wrote:To observe your thought is to pay attention to and listen to what you are thinking. Often times, our thoughts are unconscious - in other words, we are not aware of what we think. Try listening to the dialog which is going on in your head. Then try to realize that even though these thoughts are happening, YOU are simply observing them. The Observer is the Real you. Once you are LISTENING to this dialog in the head, you are in the NOW - you are in the present moment. And you will soon realize that this dialog is NOT who you are. Many people think that they are their thoughts. However, we are the space in which everything occurs (even our thoughts).
Good answer Shaz, worth repeating.

Renaissance, be alert for stories. You know, those thought processes when you're by yourself and you recreate conversations in your mind. Where you say the things you would like to say or should have said. Notice the strong identity with these thoughts, and the emotions they generate. The constant spinning of these stories, along with their accompanying emotions, are the fuel that the ego-mind thrives upon. It is a prime factor in holding that sense of individual "me".

If you remain alert for these stories, you will soon begin to recognize them in mid stream. You may even want to create one on purpose just to get a present, clear sense of what they are. Most people live much of their lives a reverie of these stories and don't realize that they are missing the silent richness of the now moment in front of them.

As the limiting nature of these stories becomes clear, they are more easily released and you may find a thrilling understanding of genuine presence vs ego identity.

D'ray

Post by D'ray » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:30 pm

What if being the watcher becomes part of the mind stream? "Now I'm watching my thoughts" be aware also of that thought. This observer can't be put in words IMO.
There's no "I" to become enlightened. The "I" can have spiritual experiences.

DON'T resist the RESISTANCE! The resistance is there. Walk into it. Feel it. Become one with it.

weichen

Post by weichen » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:08 pm

When a thought comes, I see a very thin thread light up inside a big box called brain. Then the flicker of light disappears.

heidi

Post by heidi » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:59 am

Observe the thought, and then observe your judgment of it, which is also observing thought. :D
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

Kutso

Post by Kutso » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:13 am

heidi wrote:Observe the thought, and then observe your judgment of it, which is also observing thought. :D
Yeah, great one heidi. One thing that strikes me is that it is said that you should not judge your thoughts while observing them. Well, the I never judge. If judgement is taking place, then it is the mind judging itself. And therefor one can't say don't judge YOUR thoughts.
I say, if judgement takes place, just watch the judgement like any other thought. That will keep you present.

Kutso
Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that.

lupin_

Post by lupin_ » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:01 pm

Sometimes observing thoughts can be a very difficult task especially if the mind "thinks" that it knows how to. In my experience I always have to be curious about my thoughts and not treat observing my thoughts as a mere chore that should be done on occasions that are needed. It's an action that I need to constantly do otherwise the ego takes over by the very act of reacting and being unconscious.

Also just on the topic, when I'm being present minded is it advisable to bring to surface the negative emotions through thinking and just observe these emotions for what they are or should I just let everything become natural and let everything flow without activating thinking at all? I think the latter sounds more correct but what do you guys think?

Kutso

Post by Kutso » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:12 pm

lupin_ wrote:Also just on the topic, when I'm being present minded is it advisable to bring to surface the negative emotions through thinking and just observe these emotions for what they are or should I just let everything become natural and let everything flow without activating thinking at all? I think the latter sounds more correct but what do you guys think?
Quite right lupin. There's no use of bringing negative thoughts and feelings to the surface. If a negative thought or emotion turns up, that's fine. Just observe it.

Kutso

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:06 pm

lupin_ wrote:Also just on the topic, when I'm being present minded is it advisable to bring to surface the negative emotions through thinking and just observe these emotions for what they are or should I just let everything become natural and let everything flow without activating thinking at all? I think the latter sounds more correct but what do you guys think?
I agree with Kutso. Generally speaking there is no use looking for trouble. The mind is a junk yard of historical experience that has contributed to your present expression in form. To try and weed out every little emotional belief is a never ending process. It is much simpler to adopt a perspective of openness to whatever is present in this moment. That is not to say memories do not play a role in present experience, they do. But let them arise naturally. Then when thoughts/emotions do arise, see them clearly with a sense of forgiveness for any judgment they may carry.

The past is no longer real. What is real is our present memories (however distorted) of those past events. The actual truth of the past no longer matters; what haunts us is our present perception of the past which is likely colored by layers of resistance and justifications. So don't put too much trust in specific recollections. It is the present emotional energy generated by present beliefs about those memories that binds our experience to a pain body.

Be open, live in the moment. Let life come to you, and flow through you. Enjoy.

Kutso

Post by Kutso » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:06 pm

Webwanderer wrote:The past is no longer real. What is real is our present memories (however distorted) of those past events. The actual truth of the past no longer matters; what haunts us is our present perception of the past which is likely colored by layers of resistance and justifications. So don't put too much trust in specific recollections. It is the present emotional energy generated by present beliefs about those memories that binds our experience to a pain body.

Be open, live in the moment. Let life come to you, and flow through you. Enjoy.
Beautiful Webwanderer. Absolutely beautiful.

Kutso

weichen

Post by weichen » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:58 pm

It feels like I am talking about past life time when I speak about "observing thought". The person who does "observing thoughts" has died so completely. I do remember what I did when I was observing my thoughts. I saw a thin thread light up in a large box, this visual image has 99.999% of space around a thought, forcing me into space consciousness.

I lost the habit of observing my thought, also lost my habit of inhabiting the inner body, probably because there is no need to use these two spiritual methods (with significant limitation) to disidentify from my thoughts. I no longer see this little me (body and thought) as me. You may call it deeper detachment, or abiding by "spiritual being", which is deathless and invulnerable.