Dealing with a disorder

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
piotr624

Dealing with a disorder

Post by piotr624 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:50 pm

Hello, I've been diagnosed with having Social Anxiety Disorder and of also being likely to have Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I've also self-diagnosed myself and found that I have Avoidant Personality Disorder. Immediately, I'm not sure whether these truly exist or whether they persist in my life solely based on the fact that I believe I have them. But I know that there must have been something that caused them to exist in the first place, and I know that these did not stem from my belief that there was something wrong with me. I knew there was something wrong, because I could feel it when I interacted with others, and I remember this feeling distinctly from the first day in Kindergarden up until now, in university (although it is not as severe). I'm not sure whether its an ingrained sense of low self-worth that I've garnered from a rather negative childhood coupled with my high sensitivity, or whether its mostly due to an innate shyness. But it always feels like I can't speak to someone for longer than 5 minutes - although there are rare exceptions, with most people I either feel like I have nothing to say, or that when I am speaking to them I quickly run out of things to say and get bored.

I was wondering how one might apply Eckhart Tolle's teachings to my dilemma. Is it all about staying in the present and perhaps trying to detach myself from my ingrained beliefs about myself by not letting myself focus on my problems, or my personal story? I guess it can't be causeless...for the moment I think I'll assume that this whole thing is really caused by my parents, at least mainly. They didn't really give me a sense of direction, but strictly outlined what was right and wrong through punishment. And I also got the sense from them that anything I said was wrong, or that I couldn't do anything without their assistance...and these all did occur in my childhood. Do I just accept this and try to move on?

If there's one thing I've been doing, its that I've been holding onto the idea of who I am since childhood, which includes all these problems. hmm..that might be the answer, actually - but still, I would love some assistance on this topic.
thank you

Webwanderer

Re: Dealing with a disorder

Post by Webwanderer » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:51 pm

piotr624 wrote:Hello, I've been diagnosed with having Social Anxiety Disorder and of also being likely to have Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I've also self-diagnosed myself and found that I have Avoidant Personality Disorder. Immediately, I'm not sure whether these truly exist or whether they persist in my life solely based on the fact that I believe I have them.
Piotr, you can try and solve this cornacopia of issues one at a time, analyze your childhood for the next decade to discover what which parent did and when, take a witches brew of drugs to numb the symptoms of emotional turmoil and when its all said and done, you will be no closer to the Truth than you are right now.

Most of the people on the planet have their own mental/emotional goblins that chase them around like some waking nightmare in one form or another. It may be possible to iron out some of the problems with time and effort, but more often than not the fix is temporary and those same isssues find their way to the surface in some new and creative form.

Consider what Tolle's message is. Did he go into therapy to reconcile all the things that brought him to the brink of suicide? Did he analyze his childhood to determine how it contibuted to his anxiety and depression? No, what he did was, for the first time, look directly at the Truth of being. When he saw clearly the actual nature of what he assumed to be an identity, that it had no actual substance, that it was a manifested idea that he held onto so tightly that it only felt like it was real, he was finally able to step back from his imaginings and concepts, and directly experience an awareness in the present moment so clear that all those manifestations were revealed as just temporary content within a field of perception.

What was it he said just before clarity struck him? Something like "I can't live with myself anymore". With this he suddenly recognized that he was living a duality. That imagined self that was living in turmoil, and that present awareness that perceived it. The closer he looked the more he realized that what lived in turmoil was just a projection and an emotionally attached idea of individuality. This recognition freed him from time, space and false identifications.

You can expend your energy on resolving an endless stream of personality issues or you can sit right where you are look at the truth.

dubhasa

Post by dubhasa » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:12 am

Webwanderer wrote: Consider what Tolle's message is. Did he go into therapy to reconcile all the things that brought him to the brink of suicide? Did he analyze his childhood to determine how it contibuted to his anxiety and depression? No, what he did was, for the first time, look directly at the Truth of being. When he saw clearly the actual nature of what he assumed to be an identity, that it had no actual substance, that it was a manifested idea that he held onto so tightly that it only felt like it was real, he was finally able to step back from his imaginings and concepts, and directly experience an awareness in the present moment so clear that all those manifestations were revealed as just temporary content within a field of perception.

What was it he said just before clarity struck him? Something like "I can't live with myself anymore". With this he suddenly recognized that he was living a duality. That imagined self that was living in turmoil, and that present awareness that perceived it. The closer he looked the more he realized that what lived in turmoil was just a projection and an emotionally attached idea of individuality. This recognition freed him from time, space and false identifications.

You can expend your energy on resolving an endless stream of personality issues or you can sit right where you are look at the truth.
Right on the mark Webwanderer. Nothing needs to be added further.

piotr624

Post by piotr624 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:43 am

Thank you...I'll try to follow in his footsteps then :)

weopposedeception

Post by weopposedeception » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:42 am

They just discovered a new disorder, very widespread especially in the U.S.A. It's called "getting conned by big pharma that you need our new drug". Google Paxil withdrawal at the first sign of symptoms.

Sw Anand Devagni.

Post by Sw Anand Devagni. » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:03 pm

Hi,

I will offer my humble advice with an advance disclaimer: I am not perfect and succumb to the kinds of issues you evoke, Piotr.

Firstly I do not think it is helpful to reify (i.e. make a thing out of) a particular 'disorder' - to say you suffer from a particular form of disorder or this or that is to derive a sense of self from it, hence to be identified with it.

I know that I have issues with self-esteem, etc. but there is no mental category on this. That would bring another mess.

However, although I think that Tolle's teachings are extremely useful, there are things it might not get at. I would recommend the books 'Homecoming' by John Bradshaw, 'Stepping Out of Fear' by Krishnananda (excellent) and 'Waking the Tiger' (can't remember the author's name).

Hope this is of help.

Love,

D

OnlyNow

Post by OnlyNow » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:46 pm

I agree with most of the responses here but in this part I have some reservations
Webwanderer wrote:

Consider what Tolle's message is. Did he go into therapy to reconcile all the things that brought him to the brink of suicide? Did he analyze his childhood to determine how it contibuted to his anxiety and depression? No, what he did was, for the first time, look directly at the Truth of being. When he saw clearly the actual nature of what he assumed to be an identity, that it had no actual substance, that it was a manifested idea that he held onto so tightly that it only felt like it was real, he was finally able to step back from his imaginings and concepts, and directly experience an awareness in the present moment so clear that all those manifestations were revealed as just temporary content within a field of perception.

Et's message in the PON is one thing and I guess the most crucial thing, but whether he analyzed his childhood previously to his documented experiences is quite another. I would imagine he did analyze his childhood and everything else along the way as many of us do.

As mentioned the naming of disfunction may have its place initially but ultimately as said is not helpful.

Immersing oneself in ET's works and other works that are mentioned throughout the forum would seem a great idea though.

Clarity wherever and whenever experienced is wonderful

"When the pupil is ready the master appears"
When the Pupil is ready the Master appears